Western Opener Results

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Western Opener Results

Postby Jpensyl » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:12 pm

Well the first day of the new season has come and gone, how did everyone's day go. I hunted the mouth of 18mile creek in olcott NY just inside the harbor. Hunted a nice cattail split in the creek with 3 doz mallard decoys. My morning had a slow start but by 9am I managed two hen gadwall that dropped right into the decs. Then at about 10 the mallards showed up and the fun began, by noon I had 3 greenheads and a hen to limit out and finish off the day. My cousin who hunted with me managed a hen and a drake mallard so all in all 8 ducks and a great day. Couple pics of my ducks.

Alright share those stories new yorkers, the ducks are everywhere with these flood conditions in wny so lets see how you did.

Have a permit for the tonawanda wma tomorrow so hopefully another limit in the near future.
"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

tonawanda

Postby army guy » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:04 pm

good luck, water level is really high, i was right across from the iroquois check station on 77. there wre about 10 cars there by 530
army guy
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:08 pm

Neige and I hunted a large beaver pond this morning and got two drake woodies. Being that the mallards were using other parts of the swamp, we decided to walk around the rest of the farm in search of the grouse and pheasant I see while turkey hunting in May. The only thing we kicked up was a great blue heron with a broken wing. Here's a picture of Neige in her tree stand (if I can remember how to post it).

Image[/url]
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:18 pm

:getdown: I'm glad to see you boys out west had a good day keep those pic's comimg with your stories AT-A-BOYS it's :hammering: :hammering: time on the west side

WW great looking decoys and an outstanding looking dowg :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby kaylasbadshot » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:16 pm

the morning was slow, however my 9 month old pup got her first retrieve on a woodie. not a bad way to start her as a duck dog. finished the day with 1 hen woodie, a drake woodie and 3 drake mallards.
kaylasbadshot
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:36 pm

Thanks 870!
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby IRISH56 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:01 pm

Slow go of it on Cayuga L. - one word - LAWNDARTS :pissed:

Duck boat still not ready so we'll be back on the shoreline tomorrow. Weather looks good so .......

Good job everyone. DAN
IRISH56
hunter

Opener

Postby Dep666 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:26 pm

Well my opener was pretty sweet. We shot a 2 man limit of mixed bag Mallards, Widgeon and teal out of a flooded field. Beautiful morning . The hunting pressure was absolutley rediculous. The birds we shot we had to work for.............
Dep666
hunter

Postby magicBB » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:36 am

A slow start to the season with a few wood ducks and a green head in two days. Hunted a swamp with a ton of birds, problem is getting to them. Over you head in most places and to hard to get a canoe in. The rain last week did us no favors, so many more places for them to go. Things are looking up since I did get into Monte for Tuesday. Good luck to eveyone.
magicBB
hunter

Postby kaylasbadshot » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:10 am

ok this is my first try at posting a picture. this is my 9 month old puppy with her first retrieve ever. a hen woodie. it was pretty awesome watching her work after all the time we have spent on training. [Image
][/img]
kaylasbadshot
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:59 am

kayla - lookin' good man! Congrats on the first bird!! :thumbsup:

here is a repost of your picture. It'll look bigger.

CLUTCHfan and I went out yesterday and got a couple.

My dog Lily made a nice retrieve on a greenhead I put on the water but didn't nock dead. I posted this in the dog forum, but why not post it up here too?!

harvey1b
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:51 am

She also made a great retrieve on my Wood duck, that she had to swim around a downed tree and then find her line again.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby Jpensyl » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Hunted tonawanda sunday with my two cousins, 19 and 16. My younger cousin took a dip on a retrieve at about noon and had to leave but still managed a couple mallards. Then the remaining two of us stayed until we limited out. Lots of birds flying all day long and we managed to decoy them very well. We had the entire refuge to ourselves by 1:00 and the birds were steady all afternoon. 14 birds total, including, gadwal, drake wigeon, pintail, gwt, and a few mallards. I will say what I witnessed early on made me sick, guys shooting at high birds, no attempts to retrieve cripples and people setting up on top of each other. I was in and set up by 5:00 with 3 doz decoys and a 15 min canoe ride and I had guys set up within 60 yds of me on every side before shooting time. Wouldnt let birds work at all and then the birds would need to make it through a gauntlet of shots after the first skybuster let loose. We took 4 shots before 11 because I refused to join in. Then we moved the spread back in to a open pool and cleaned up after everyone left. Here's a pic of sundays pile of 14 in my kitchen.

Monday the birds were not flying at all, two of us managed 2 teal on early morning low flocks and decoyed a flock of 6 mallards at about noon that we took half of and took a single black duck right before we packed up before 1. I thought we did excellent for the amount of birds in the sky and the fact I personally took 4 birds and only spent 9 shells all morning. So far In the first three days of the season I have taken every species of puddler I can think of except a woodie, which we had a perfect drake in the decoys yesterday and had to yell to get him up away from the decs, 5 shots no bird at 25 yds... Had to laugh it off. Keep those pics and stories coming guys, I eat this stuff up if you can't tell. These are the fastest 60 days of the year so lets make them all worth while. Great to see the dogs get to get some work in after a long off season of prep work. Great pics, keep'em coming!
"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

Postby YankeeMallard » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:27 pm

New to the Site!
Got 2 Mallards
2 Wegion
3 BWT
1 Black duck
1 Blue Bill
3 Woddies
1 Ruddy
Opening weekend I was hunting with my cuz and my brother in the rochester area!
YankeeMallard
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:00 pm

:welcome:
Welcome to the forum. It is always good to have another New Yorker.

Looks like you guys had a good pull! :thumbsup:
harvey1b
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting