New spot looks promising

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

New spot looks promising

Postby cobber » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:46 pm

I got permision to hunt a new farm this year. Saturday morning was spent watching many geese land on a flooded area of the field and ignore my setup on a high spot. Sunday I set up in the flooded spot. Took a limit of geese in 35 minutes and got out of there. It looks like this spot will hold water for a few weeks so it should produce constantly if I hunt it right.

As a side note, about 100 mallards appear to be using the same spot. Come on duck season.
cobber
hunter

Postby 870 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:33 pm

Hey cobber, congrats on your new HH :thumbsup: I hope you limit out every time you go in there. Good management that’s the key, by not over hunting it. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard of guys getting a new spot, only to burn it out in know time DUMB!!!!!!!!! :thumbsdown: You sound like your going about it the right way, now work on back exercises so you don’t pull any muscles lugging those BAD BOYS out of there :toofunny:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby cobber » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:07 am

thanks 870

Only planning on hunting it once per week. And keeping the hunt as short as possible to allow the later birds to continue to use the spot.

As for lugging birds out, doesn't get any better than a field access road 50 feet from the "pond."

Hope Saturday produces like it should.
cobber
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting