My yearly bath

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

My yearly bath

Postby CLUTCHfan » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:20 pm

I always end up in the drink once during the season, and I think I got this years out of the way this morning. Usually it's much later in the year. We just finished setting out the decoys, and I was getting the boat situated, and walked around the other side, where the drop-off is, and went under. Thing is, I knew it was there, but thought I had a few feet to spare. My dad said that one second I was there, and the next there was nothing. Fat as I am, I made it up onto shore in record time. Didn't need any caffeine after that. I would guesstimate the water temps at a balmy 40 degrees (maybe less, as there was skim ice on top yesterday morning). This was shortly after 5:00. We hunted until about ten.
I got one Mallard today. He was a young drake, and was still partly eclipsed. I was talking to another guy that I see at this spot all the time, and he said that he's been seeing drakes just like the one I got there for a couple weeks.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:42 pm

Glad you got out OK and still managed to have a successful hunt. Be careful out there as you can loose your life by drownding or to hypo-thermea!
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Pics

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:34 pm

Can you go out and do it again just like you did it this morning and take some pictures. A picture is worth a 1000 laughs.

Glad you OK.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:51 pm

So what your saying is that I won’t have to worry about you getting wet next weekend when you come up to hunt. :laughing:

Greg’s right, we seem to lose duck hunters to hypo-thermea and drowning around here. :thumbsdown:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Michigan » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:20 pm

I've done it a few times. I'm thinking of getting one of those inflatable life jackets from stearns, you know the unes that lay flat against your chest but automatically inflate once you hit the water.
Michigan
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:07 pm

dont feel to bad. i took a little dip last weekend while getting out of the boat. it was a bit deeper than i thought and i went in backwards. luckly it was only chest deep, but still enough to scare the stuffing out of me. im not sure if the inside of my waders got soaked from the water or another liquid. i did finish out the day though, and ended up whacking a teal. not sure if it was worth it or not, but it was a pretty sweet shot.
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby magicBB » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:56 am

Had my "bath" a week ago as well. Jinxed myself, laughed at my brother for doing the swamp belly flop and turned around and did it myself at Monte two days later. The kicker is I was walking out to get HIS bird since he flamed up his back on his swim two days earlier. The irony of duck gods.
magicBB
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:06 pm

870 wrote:So what your saying is that I won’t have to worry about you getting wet next weekend when you come up to hunt. :laughing:

I'm not going to jinx myself by saying that I won't fall in again.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:45 pm

I fell in about a week ago. Tripped over a hummock while setting up. It was a helpless feeling as I grabbed at some twigs while I was going down. Then I got to go to work afterwards.

It had been a few years since the last time I took a dip. The last time I was retrieving a bird and stepped into the beaver's channel.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting