Cayuga L. this past weekend

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Cayuga L. this past weekend

Postby IRISH56 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:24 pm

I haven't been very good about posting reports on Cayuga as I promised (not a lot to report on just yet) so here goes:

Hunted Sat and Sun around Cargill Salt and just north Myers Point, first and second trip with the duck boat. I figured it would be a different game hunting from a boat and was not disappointed - very awkward setting decoys and getting the boat/blind placed where we want it.

Saturday there were a LOT of mallards flying and we were able to decoy a few flocks but they all committed way long or way short or flared at the last minute. Only had one opportunity on a mallard that my partner missed x 3.

Sunday there were a lot less ducks moving, what ducks we did see were mainly blacks - again landing short. Saw a few flocks of divers swarming about and the standard couple thousand geese heading off the lake to the fields.

That's it for this week. I'll be out this weekend hopefully with a better report. DAN
IRISH56
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:32 am

Thanks for the update. I may try out Cayuga-Tompkins next week and was wondering how it was out that way. :thumbsup:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby magicBB » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:12 pm

Hey Irish --

After a swamp dog for many years, I have come to LOVE hunting out of a boat. Like you said it can get tricky setting dekes, especially during late season but I am sure in time you will wonder what your ever did without it. As for Cayuga, Sat - Tues - Thurs will be your best days since cats are out on Monte getting some birds up. I was there last Sat and when we checked in the Biologist told us how her boss counted 8k Cans on the main pool. Now that gets your blood going at 4am like nothing will. Good luck.
magicBB
hunter

Postby IRISH56 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:57 pm

I check in at Montezuma whenever I'm up at Bass Pro in the fall - amazing how many different species they count there and the numbers are astounding :eek: :eek: . It'd be nice if some of those 'cans decided to slide down the lake :toofunny:

This weekend was much more "un-awkward" (is that a word) getting situated. DAN
IRISH56
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting