Cayuga this weekend

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Cayuga this weekend

Postby IRISH56 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:14 pm

Not a ton to report on this weekend but we did manage the 1st bird out of the boat :getdown: :getdown: :salude: .

Saturday we saw a fair number of birds and managed to bag 2 mallards, a hen and a drake. We could have bagged a couple more if my elder brother could shoot (or see) straight - see below.

Sunday seemed like it was going to be a banner morning with weather conditions in the morning ...... NOPE! Bagged a bonus goose that swam a little too close to the boat - is 30 yards too close :thumbsup:??

Great story - We had a single ringneck circle the spread, head upwind and then right back in, I'm watching it the whole time and gave my brother (elder - refer to above) the go. Well he doesn't pick it up right away so it lands and swims right into the spread. He waits until it's clear of most of the decoys and he starts wailing away at it. My younger brother and I are watching and after he empties his 870 he declares the duck 'DEAD."

My little bro and I are looking at one another and are watching the duck swim amongst the decoys - apparently taking cover. So I hand my brother (elder) my Citori and advise him to lay off the decoys and shoot the F$%##@! duck. He empties my gun, the bird flies off, and he looks at me and my younger brother and says "where'd that one come from?"

Astonished he looks back and notices his "duck" is now floating keel up - pelted the decoy at least 3 or 4 times, thankfully one of the old Flambeau's and not the GHG mags. :withstupid: It will take many years to live that one down.

He also missed a layup on a well colored Hooded Merganser. DAN
IRISH56
hunter

Postby mwc4fishing » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:39 pm

Just a tip for your brother - wait till they take flight before letting 'em have it!
My father bagged a big fat goose shell last year. It comes up every now and then if he gets on me for missing! :pissed:
mwc4fishing
hunter

Postby IRISH56 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:59 pm

We normally won't take a bird on the water - these birds weren't scared off by us yelling at 'em, or shooting at them either.

Thanks. DAN
IRISH56
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting