Montezuma Field Hunting

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Montezuma Field Hunting

Postby harvey1b » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:23 pm

We went out field hunting at Montezuma. It was the first time I had hunted at the refuge. There were thousands of birds in the air, and it was definately a spectical and quite a show.

Between 3 of us we hauled in 4 dozen full body geese, a few goose floaters, and 15 duck floaters. There was a big area of flooded beans next to our spot where we set up the floaters.

I don't know how it is in the pools b/c I have never hunted there, but in each field hunt area there is a ~6'L x 3'W x 4' tall blind sitting in the field. The hunting party for each area is instructed not to hunt beyond 100' of the blind. I set my layout blind ~ 30 feet from the "box" blind, my dad and friend sat in the box. The morning started off well, we had 2 teal down before the geese started to move and had a group of 8 mallards circle us 5-6 times, flying right at the edge of range several times, but we thought they would get closer so we never gave them the business. Even though we didn't get a shot at the mallards it was fun to see the birds work and looked like a good start to the morning.

Once the geese started moving, time after time we had birds (geese and ducks) gliding to our spread, dipping sideways to loose altitude, and doing everything else to get to us. They consistently got ~200 yards away and immediately veered off. We looked around and there was nothing obvious or glaring that they could have picked up on to flare them. We are convinced it is those blinds.:thumbsdown:

Has anyone else hunted the fields there this year? If anyone plans to give it a try I would suggest bringing layouts and setting them up at the edge of that 100' boundary. I don't know how long those "box" blinds have been out there, but we would have done a lot better if they weren't around.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:16 am

I heard on another site, that they were building those box blinds this year. From the description I heard, they sounded like they would stick out. It's too bad that things didn't go better. I'm surprised you got any Teal, as it's getting cold enough that they should have all moved on weeks ago. They should not have put those blinds in all the fields, and left some where people could use layout blinds instead.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

What part of Montezuma

Postby WNYHunter » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:39 pm

Harvey-
What part of Montezuma were you hunting? I was there last weekend and was scouting the muck fields out at the end of Morgan Rd. near the DEC outpost. I din't see any blinds near those fields, BUT, they also didn't have any water in them either. They seemd pretty dry. Jim E. said once it rains a bit they fill up some and could be hunted. Have you ever had experience with them?
WNYHunter
WNYHunter
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:32 pm

It was the field hunting portion of Montezuma, out by 89 and Savana. This was the first time I have hunted out that way. I think the private land could be very productive. I think the Montezuma land could also be very productive if those stupid blinds weren't there :pissed:

Another approach might be to pull some of the laid over cornstalks and try covering the blind with them, but they are so stinkin' big I don't think it would help too much.

When there is snow on the ground a guy could probably do alright covering them up with white sheets and you'll need something for a roof b/c they are just a box with no roof or floor. Until then I think it is going to be pretty tough to conceal them.
harvey1b
hunter

I've seen those blinds and they are HUGE

Postby RunNgun870 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:47 am

Hi harvey,

I was down that way 2 weeks ago and those blinds are huge. I hunted a private field down by Kings Ferry with friends and we stopped to drive thru the refuge area on the way back from our morning hunt. We had some success using coffin blinds. I'm newer to field hunting and just followed the advice of my buddies. We covered them up pretty good with cornstalks that we brought along with us to break up the shape and dimension. My guess is that those birds have been shot at enough out of those big blinds and they may be pretty wary since they stick out like a sore thumb. I've never hunted the refuge before and not sure on their rules but if you can try and field hunt in a coffin blind or even sitting in the brush along a brushline close to your spread set up in a field I would bet you'd have better luck next time. :thumbsup:
RunNgun870
hunter

Postby 870 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:45 pm

Wouldn't it be nice to see NY change it's laws on pit blinds COME ON NY STATE WAKE UP!!!!! JMHO
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby CLUTCHfan » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:40 pm

I heard last year that pit blinds in fields are legal here. They fall under a different category than sink-boxes. It's just tough to try and talk a farmer into letting you dig a big hole in one of his fields.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby harvey1b » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:14 am

:withstupid:

yeah, I thought field pit blinds were ok. I looked in the regs and it clearly says no sink boxes but does not say anything about pit blinds in fields. If it turns out that pit blinds are illegal, where do you draw the line? Would it be illegal to dig down 6 inches to lower your layout?

RunNgun870 -

those blinds are rediculous out there. I am sure that they are the reason the birds were turning. We've been pulling geese down in fields all over all season with no problems. This was the first time I have seen them veer away like that. The only explination is those blinds.

Typically we hunt out of layout blinds and they are great. They are very comfortable and do a graet job with concealment.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:03 am

that would be great news if they were, the last time i spoke to a game warden they weren't, maybe things have changed :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby harvey1b » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:29 am

This is from the NYS DEC migratory gamebird hunting regulations:

Hunting Blinds

* Blinds placed in lake waters must be labeled with the owner's name and address.
* Blinds must be removed from lake waters no later than March 15.

Prohibitions
You may NOT hunt migratory game birds using these methods:

* With a shotgun that holds more than three shells, unless it has a plug that cannot be removed without taking the shotgun apart.
* With a shotgun larger than 10 gauge, or with a rifle or handgun.
* With a trap, snare, or net.
* With a swivel gun, battery gun, machine gun, or explosive.
* With fishhooks, poisons, or drugs.
* From a sink box. This is a float that conceals your entire body below the water surface.
* From a car or other motor vehicle on land.
Note: Paraplegics and leg amputees, with a permit issued by DEC, are exempted from this restriction.
* From a motorboat or sailboat unless the motor is off or the sail furled, and the boat has stopped moving.
Note: Boats under power may be used to retrieve dead or crippled birds. You may not shoot crippled birds when under power, except in the Special Sea Duck Area.
* With live decoys. If you have captive waterfowl, they must be removed from your hunting area at least 10 days prior to hunting and confined in an enclosure so that they cannot be seen or heard by migratory waterfowl.
* With electronic calls, amplifiers, or tapes of calls.
* By driving or chasing birds with any motorized boat or vehicle, or sailboat so that the birds are pushed in shooting range of hunters.
* By using bait to attract waterfowl. A "baited area" is considered to be baited for 10 days after any bait is actually removed. Even if you did not place the bait, you may still be ticketed if you hunt in a baited area.
Note: You may hunt near standing or harvested crops, flooded or unflooded. You also may hunt where grain crops have been shocked in the field, or where grains are scattered on the ground from normal farm practices.

Like I said, I can't find anything that says digging a pit blind in a field is illegal.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby carlschmarl2 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:04 am

we havent hunted the fields yet this year but the past few tuesdays we hunted the northern pool and we were close to limiting out in a few hours...
"Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium"
carlschmarl2
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting