Idiots on parade.

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Idiots on parade.

Postby CLUTCHfan » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:06 pm

I am not slamming ALL deer-hunters, just EVERY SINGLE ONE I SAW THIS MORNING.

Usually, my morning ritual when going hunting is pretty much the same. Get up, brew some coffee, throw my stuff in the truck that I get ready the night before, and head up to the gas station. Rarely do I see anyone on my road, the main road, and even on I-81. I pull into the gas station, top off the tank in the boat, go inside, grab some jerky or peanuts, and some chew and head to where I'm going. I'm used to getting up early, and maybe that's why I can function.

Enter the Deer Hunters.

This morning, I pull out of my driveway after having to wait for several trucks to go by, drive up to the main road where I have to wait behind a group of cars, and head up the hill to the gas station. I pull up to the pump I always use, top off my tank and go inside. I get my jerky, pay for my gas and head out the door, where I am just about run over by a guy in blaze orange.

No biggie.

Apparently, on opening day of deer season, you can park where, and however you like. I have to back the trailer out of the pumps. A guy in an Explorer with a blaze orange hat somehow manages not to see me until the last second, and as he's pulling into the parking lot, almost hits my boat.

No problem, I'm a little annoyed, but no harm done.

I continue to back up, put the van into drive and start to pull ahead. The same guy who almost creamed me fifteen seconds ago, in the Explorer, comes flying around the other side of the pump, and must have been under the impression that his SUV grew over the course of the night, over shoots the gas pump, and almost hits me again. This time he misses by a matter of inches, and we're pretty much looking face to face through our windshields. I give him the New York Salute, as well as some constructive criticism on safe driving proceedures, but since my windows were all up, I think he may have missed some of the finer points of what I was trying to get across.

I am officially starting to get hot.

I pull out of the gas station without incident, get on the on-ramp, head north. There are few cars heading north. There is a neverending line of vehicles heading south. Every fifth or sixth car/truck has a malfunction with it's headlights, in that they must only work with the high beams on.

That's alright, it's got to be worse for the vehicles driving in front of these geniuses.

I get into Syracuse with out incident, where I am re-aquainted with an age-old Deer Season Opening Day Tradition
.......... "The Running Into of The Concrete Barrier".......... Seems I forget every year, to be reminded by the flashing lights and dumbstruck morons wandering the shoulder of the highway. It's always in the same spot. Right at the ramp where 690 east goes into 81 south.

Deer hunters don't merge, and they don't let anyone else merge either. Screw turn signals, Screw checking mirrors and blind spots, and Screw that yield sign.

They are on the other side of the highway, and are not my problem, nor are they in my way, so I chuckle a little, and forge ahead. I feel a little sorry for them, because their hunt is ruined, but Traditions are Traditions.

I'm not trying to whine or complain, and hope I haven't come across that way, but instead of getting up and rushing to where they're going without any regard for rules, and more importantly, common courtesy and common sense, maybe they should GET UP EARLIER

Oh well, I doubt I'll see many tomorrow, as I have to leave my house around 3 AM.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby 870 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:09 pm

at lease you didn't have a deer run out in front of yeah and hit your truck, one of those guys would tryed taking a shot at it. :laughing:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Return to New York Duck Hunting