Slack's Pistol Update

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Slack's Pistol Update

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:04 pm

7 Months to the day.......

I spoke to my Principal yesterday and she said that she finally decided to just leave a message with my investigating officer, who she was playing phone tag with. My wife did the same thing.....so neither of them actually spoke to the Investigator and he never contacted either of my references.... He congratulated me :no: on being granted a permit and told me the process once my permit clears his Supervisor and actually makes its way to me in the mail (in another week or two).....
Get this......
I get the permit and go to the gun shop...purchase the gun and get a slip.....I then bring the other copy of the slip and the gun back to HQ where they add the gun to my license and then I am free to go....

is this the similar process that the rest of you go through in other parts of NY????
Especially recently??
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Slack's Pistol Update

Postby jeepman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:24 am

Slack, here in Clinton County, some shops particularly Gander Mountain does a similar process except our county clerk handles pistol permits. Luckily we still have a few mom and pop gun shops in business and they accept a purchase coupon in which the buyer obtains the coupon from the county clerk for the future purchase of a handgun. That alleviates the initial run around of the purchase. I just hand in the coupon with the federal background check paperwork at the time of purchase and then at a later time use the receipt, which has the serial number on it, to register the gun with the county clerk. It's a more convenient process but can't be used with every dealer it's at their discretion. I can foresee in the future my county doing away with it and conforming with other counties that do the registration process the same as yours.
jeepman
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:28 am

jeepman wrote:Slack, here in Clinton County, some shops particularly Gander Mountain does a similar process except our county clerk handles pistol permits. Luckily we still have a few mom and pop gun shops in business and they accept a purchase coupon in which the buyer obtains the coupon from the county clerk for the future purchase of a handgun. That alleviates the initial run around of the purchase. I just hand in the coupon with the federal background check paperwork at the time of purchase and then at a later time use the receipt, which has the serial number on it, to register the gun with the county clerk. It's a more convenient process but can't be used with every dealer it's at their discretion. I can foresee in the future my county doing away with it and conforming with other counties that do the registration process the same as yours.

This has been a LONG process and not done yet...
enjoy reading ( :no: ) the other updates on the NYS forum...
Thanks for your input
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:46 am

This would be amusing to me if it were not so sad.

Here, you go to the gun shop, fill out the paper, give them the money, and walk out with your pistol.

The End.

PS As a state employee, I can carry at work.
All they ask is that it stays concealed.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Gabagool » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:37 pm

I live in Nassau county. I brought my application into the pistol bureau in early March. They gave me my fingerprint appointment for February 2014. They also gave me the NYS application and the character reference forms and told me to complete them and bring them back whenever. I brought everything back last week and asked about the status and if there was any way to expedite the process. They told me there was no way. I also asked how long it would take after the fingerprint appointment until I got the permit and they told me 6 months. So all said and done I'm looking at 17-18 months. It's absurd!
Gabagool
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:00 am

Gabagool wrote:I live in Nassau county.

Shocker! :yes:
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Gabagool » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:21 am

Where are you from fella?
Gabagool
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:18 am

Suffolk....
Still waiting by the way....
I guess that means that I have more time to look at pictures of what I might but, being that you can't actually TOUCH a gun until you have your permit.
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:20 am

Gabagool wrote: I brought everything back last week

Oh man...you should have had that back in a few days...that's all wait time that you could have avoided
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby tubbalowski » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:15 pm

Doesn't state law say the application has to be processed and a decision made within 6 months? How are they getting around that?
tubbalowski
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:50 pm

tubbalowski wrote:Doesn't state law say the application has to be processed and a decision made within 6 months? How are they getting around that?

I have heard that some states impose a time standard on themselves, I don't know if NY does that...and they get around it by saying that there has been a push on permits due to CT and they are backed up
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby tubbalowski » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:31 pm

From what I've googled, NYS law says the decision has to be made within 6 months from when the application is complete. I guess they monkey around with when your application is complete.
tubbalowski
hunter

Postby jeepman » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:06 pm

It is stated that the application process is going to take 6 to 12 months. The real question is if it does take longer, who is going to hold them accountable when they have a permit pending and risk it either being denied or prolonged longer. I suppose if a few independently wealthy applicants were willing to throw themselves under the bus, by taking the state to court over the length of the process it might change. It might also be a monetary expense as well as not being the satisfied recipient of a NYS pistol permit.
jeepman
hunter

Postby tubbalowski » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:31 pm

tubbalowski
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting