No one? Nothing?

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

No one? Nothing?

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:27 pm

How has NO one commented on what I am going through to get my pistol permit?
Do none of you have one? Getting one? Want one?

The Honey Hole and the CI forums are lit up and crazy over it and they don't even live here!
I fear that we have just grown accustomed to this stripping of our rights......
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: No one? Nothing?

Postby 870 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:51 pm

Hey Slack close your eyes and imagine a ton of us on the NY forum all saying at the sametime " WE TOLD YOU SO" :rolleyes:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
Pro Hunter

Postby Rich- » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:40 pm

870 wrote:Hey Slack close your eyes and imagine a ton of us on the NY forum all saying at the sametime " WE TOLD YOU SO" :rolleyes:

What have you been going through and what is your county?
Rich-
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:42 am

870 wrote:Hey Slack close your eyes and imagine a ton of us on the NY forum all saying at the sametime " WE TOLD YOU SO" :rolleyes:

There is no doubt that I DID know about the wait time....but the reeeeeeeason behind the wait time was a shock that we should all be disturbed about.
I think most people (like me) think it's just the slow wheels of a bureaucracy turning and it's not....it is an absolute infringement of our Constitutional rights on behalf of the Govt....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:43 am

Rich- wrote:

Getting my pistol permit in Suffolk County....
Please see "Slacks Pistol Update" posts in NY forum
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Rich- » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:45 am

Slack Tide wrote:
Rich- wrote:

Getting my pistol permit in Suffolk County....
Please see "Slacks Pistol Update" posts in NY forum

Those down state counties make upstate looking like living in a free state. Livingston county took me 8 weeks and I can get slips in advance to purchase pistols, then I have 10 days to put them on my permit.

I know a few guys on nyshooters.net that have gone through the same hassle you are. Until we get rid of NYC we are doomed here.
Rich-
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:00 am

Yeah but how in the WORLD can it vary WITHIN the same freakin state????

I could see getting something done at a rural DMV taking less time because there is no line...but this is not the same
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:10 pm

Slack Tide wrote:Yeah but how in the WORLD can it vary WITHIN the same freakin state????

I could see getting something done at a rural DMV taking less time because there is no line...but this is not the same

Slack, I know you're an English teacher, but if you look into the history of NYS, there has always been this division of upstate/downstate, rural/urban. Further investigation would reveal the politics behind it, it's almost a very clear line between Democrat control and Republican control. So, while everyone has to play by the same state rules, there are ways around said rules. Some more devious than others. I told you when you started this voyage that the SCPD will use whatever means at its disposal to discourage you from obtaining a permit and that delay was one of their main tactics. I know this first hand because I have a couple of very good friends that worked at the pistol licensing bureau but have since retired.

So, incredible as it may seem, it is much like what 870 said.

Frank

To tell you the truth Slack I haven't been following your post knowing full well the what you're up against. What Frank said is spot on, because I know of one of bigwaters friends who sent in the paper work long after you did, he rercieved his permit on Fri. Sorry bud to hear whats happening
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:47 pm

Frank Lopez wrote: I told you when you started this voyage that the SCPD will use whatever means at its disposal to discourage you from obtaining a permit and that delay was one of their main tactics.
Frank

I am not an optimist an idealist, or a conspiracy theorist.....
and yet...
I believe that instituting an official policy of foot dragging is impossible. HQ in Yaphank looks like DMV from the 70's....old banged up file cabinets....the "make my day" poster of Clint Eastwood on the wall over the 30 year old Mr.Coffee with the little plastic funnel shaped cups that fit into the yellow plastic holders....ugly cops, uglier women cops....
I really do believe that it's just not a priority, under funded, under manned and over worked since CT.....

That being said...NONE NOOOOOOOONE of my references were even called other than my wife and Principal (mandatory).....after phone tag, they both just left messages supporting me and never directly spoke to anyone.
So yes, the process is a long one, but a joke and shouldn't take any longer than a traffic stop
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby labtrainer » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:42 am

Slack, it is different from county to county. I live in Cortland County where you can get an "Unrestricted" pistol permit which is a carry conceal permit without all the BS. Now, true it is no good in NYC but I can carry/conceal anywhere in NYS.
I have a friend that worked for the NYDEC and had a Carry Conceal permit but when he changed jobs (by choice) and moved to Onondaga County the CC was taken away and the only permit he has now is a Target Shooting/Hunting permit. Completely
un-blemished record. No reason to change the permit other than County of residence.
So, I can go to his house with my loaded handgun concealed in my pocket, but he can't walk around in his own backyard (or even inside his house) carrying both gun and ammo unless they are in separate locked containers!!!!!!!!!!! and he must be able to prove that he is enroute to or from the target range or hunting.
I agree really screwed up system and total infringement of 2nd Amendment rights. :mad:
Good luck to you.
"Keep your eye's on the horizion"
from my Dad on my first duck hunt!
labtrainer
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting