yesterday

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

yesterday

Postby Dep666 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:39 pm

Got a call late in the evening....." Bro I found the motherload of all honey holes..." Yea Yea Yea Ive head that befor. " Cuz, you gotta go with me tomorrow . We're gonna smoke em."

Well I go to this new spot and walked through the marsh for about 600 yrs. Breaking ice, trippin over sumberged logs and I was thinking..." This guy better be right!"

Man o Man, he was right! Blacks Pintails and mallards......HOLY NUTS! All I can say was the best piece of equipment I had with me was the jerk string.

Saturday evening is my last time out for Bambi and Sunday is a Big water SCoter/Squaw trip......Later boys!
Dep666
hunter

Postby Jpensyl » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:19 pm

I did the socoter/sqauw thing the other day between olcott and the mouth of the niagara. It was a blast we took out my buddies blind boat and drifted with two longlines of bills. Took 9 squaws, 3 ww scoters, 2 bluebills and a mergie between the 3 of us and were back in the harbor by noon. Sadly no nice tails on the squaws we took, all immature drakes and hens. Ton of birds out there so you should light them up pretty good.
"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:45 pm

Matt and Jpensyl: When you drift for the seaducks is the boat drifting downwind from the decoys? Do you get many decoying shots or is it mostly pass shooting? How far offshore do you usually go?
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby 870 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:09 pm

Yeah Matt help us out on that one. I tryed that drifting thing for Old Squaw today. I was able to shoot one young Drake. Whats your style and do you use just Old Squaw decoys? Because I don't have any, so I through out 60 Bills and Cans on two long lines. I did alot of drifting and not much shooting :oops: Help us fill in the blanks :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Oldsquaws

Postby Dep666 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:28 pm

Shot em up pretty good yesterday......No real nice drakes, but its still a couple of weeks early.....

Heres my set up ....I use about a Doz Squaw dekes on 1 main line . The outside bird is about 60-70 yrds out and the inside one is about 20. The Key is to have the drakes on the ends.....I don't know why its like that, but the whitest dekes on the end usually draw them to the line. The birds fly down the line and then swing off the inside deke. By the time ole boy swing the inside bird, he's being greeted by some 3 1/2 inch bb.
As far a Dekes......Now Don you allready know what I use. When I use those Dekes then I only put out like 6 , but I have a cheaper solution......
I bought some crappy ole Flambeau Pintails and painted them up as Squaws. I think I spent like 25 bucks on the dekes after the season a few years ago and I repainted them. Now most guys say " Just use Drakes.....they are the most colored up." Well they are , but the hens have a lot of white on them as well. I mix them in....

I know a lot of guys have scissores blinds on their boats, I take mine off for squaw and Scoter hunting. Those birds are pretty dumb, but I think they might notice a large camo objest floating in the middle of the lake. In this case ...Less might be more if you know what I mean.....

Get those outside dekes away from the boat, wave those black and white flags and get out the heavy artillary! Hope this helps boys......
Dep666
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:48 pm

Thanks Matt!
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby IRISH56 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:19 pm

Matt - how well does that work for other divers?? We don't have Oldsquaw on the Finger Lakers (that I'm aware of) but we have a good number of 'bills, redheads & goldeneye.

Thanks. DAN

BTW - I see Bucky has plead guilty to shooting Trpr. Brown down here and it appears he's gonna plead guilty to shooting both the Trpr.'s in Chautaqua Cty. as well. Unfortunately he won't get what he deserves but at least he'll be going away for life. Stay safe!!
IRISH56
hunter

Bills and such

Postby Dep666 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:51 pm

That set up really only works on Scoters and Oldsquaws....They are pretty dumb birds. Bills,Redheads,Cans,Whistlers and BH sare a different story. It is my experience that they are more weary and tend to avoid that floating blob......

I like hunting out of a layout boat for them. If you can get over the fear factor with layout hunting, It opens up a new spectrum of Waterfowling. A few years ago I did it for the first time. It was real spooky at first, but you get used to it....

Irish...I think I'm going to try out where your brother lives this weekend. Probably Sunday........ Oh yea I read that poor Bucky Phillips was being mistreated in jail...........OOOHHHHHHH Poor him.......We should let those NY city cops, with the plunger handlle, loose on him.....
Dep666
hunter

Postby IRISH56 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:13 pm

Thanks Matt. I'm quite certain my bro will be hunting this weekend on the river, I was hoping to get up this weekend but the wife has to work so I'm on duty at home in the afternoons :help:

Yeah - - it would be a real shame if he was "mistreated" a couple of times a day.

DAN
IRISH56
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting