Nassau pheasants?

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Nassau pheasants?

Postby tubbalowski » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:56 am

Got an email from NY Dec regarding pheasant hunting. It mentioned Nassau county. Where in the world can you hunt pheasant in Nassau?
tubbalowski
hunter

Re: Nassau pheasants?

Postby tubbalowski » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:21 am

You are subscribed to receive updates from DEC. Links to receive help or to change your preferences are provided below. Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

Hello,
The NYS Department of Environmental Conservation has issued the following press release:

DEC Announces Release of Pheasants for 2013 Hunting Season

Pheasant Raising Programs Bolster Hunting Opportunities

Approximately 30,000 adult pheasants will be released on lands open to public hunting for the upcoming fall pheasant hunting season, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) announced today. The pheasant hunting season begins on October 1 in northern and eastern portions of New York, October 19 in central and western portions, and November 1 on Long Island.

For the seventh consecutive year, junior hunters (12-15 years old) have the opportunity to hunt pheasants the weekend prior to the regular pheasant hunting season. In western New York, the youth pheasant hunt weekend is October 12-13. In northern and eastern New York, the youth pheasant hunt weekend is September 28-29, and on Long Island (Nassau and Suffolk counties) it is October 26-27. Pheasants will be released on a number of selected release sites across the state to provide ample hunting opportunities for junior hunters. All current pheasant hunting rules and regulations remain in effect during the youth hunt. Please note that a 2012-13 hunting license is required to hunt during September, and a 2013-14 license is required starting October 1.
tubbalowski
hunter

Postby Rich- » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:17 am

Google "NYS DEC Pheasant Release Sites".
Rich-
hunter

Postby tubbalowski » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:02 am

I did. The website again says Nassau and Suffolk, but....

Region 1 - Long Island
For further information on release sites contact: - Bureau of Wildlife Stony Brook Office at 631-444-0310

Suffolk County
•Brookhaven - Rocky Point State Natural Resources Management Area* (YH, RS)
•Riverhead & Brookhaven - Otis Pike Preserve* (YH, RS)
•Brookhaven - Eastport State Lands* (YH)
*A daily permit must be obtained from the Ridge Hunter Check Station for "Regular Season" hunting (designated "RS" above). A Seasonal Access Permit is needed for the Youth Hunt (designated "YH" above).

No Nassau. Maybe we can just shoot lost pheasants that stray across the border. :biggrin:
tubbalowski
hunter

Postby Rich- » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:16 am

tubbalowski wrote:I did. The website again says Nassau and Suffolk, but....

Region 1 - Long Island
For further information on release sites contact: - Bureau of Wildlife Stony Brook Office at 631-444-0310

Suffolk County
•Brookhaven - Rocky Point State Natural Resources Management Area* (YH, RS)
•Riverhead & Brookhaven - Otis Pike Preserve* (YH, RS)
•Brookhaven - Eastport State Lands* (YH)
*A daily permit must be obtained from the Ridge Hunter Check Station for "Regular Season" hunting (designated "RS" above). A Seasonal Access Permit is needed for the Youth Hunt (designated "YH" above).

No Nassau. Maybe we can just shoot lost pheasants that stray across the border. :biggrin:

Shoot the DEC an email and see if they will give you the specific release sites.

There are about six release sites within 30 minutes of me here. I can't wait for Oct. 19th to get here so I can get the pup out for his first pheasant hunt.
Rich-
hunter

Postby sssurfertim » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:02 pm

My dad used to hunt pheasants and quail where the Seaford Oysterbay expressway ended, in the 70's. some birds he killed in there, it's still loaded with birds, just unhuntable.
No island leaft for Islanders like me.
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby GunnerNYS » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:11 pm

I've shot plenty of them in the Port Washington Sand pits years ago
GunnerNYS
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:34 am

OK, Tubby, here's the deal. I've been hunting pheasant on Long Island for nearly 50 years. Back in the 60s and early 70s we had wild populations, but today wild birds are mostly out on the south fork beyond the canal. The DEC lists Nassau and Suffolk counties together because they comprise Region 1. This is because the regions are set up to monitor all DEC activities, such as upland hunting, fishing, trapping and waterfowling. You can fish both salt and fresh water in Nassau, and you can hunt waterfowl, and legally, you can hunt upland birds. The problem is that there is virtually nowhere in Nassau county that has access to hunting for upland birds.

As far as Suffolk county is concerned, there is limited access to private lands, particularly in the western portion of the county. About the only place to hunt pheasant is on the state managed lands in Rocky Point and the Otis Pike preserve. These are the only two areas where the state releases pheasant on Long Island. Typically, the state releases birds on Saturdays and Sundays and one random day during the week. They will also make releases on opening day and Election Day. The coop is closed on Thanksgiving day and Christmas day. In order to hunt the coop on opening day, any of the weekend days or Election day, you need to make a reservation by phone. Reservations are taken by phone at the Ridge check station on Saturdays and Sundays for the following week, but you'll need to check the schedule as to when to call for Election day and opening day. You can begin calling at 8:30 am for reservations at the Rocky Point area and at 11:00 (check this one to be sure) for the Otis Pike Preserve.

Once you have a reservation, you'll be given a number that corresponds to you position in line. Then you need to show up at the check station on the day of the hunt about half hour before sunrise. When it's your turn, you get to pick a numbered parking spot from the board. You are allowed no more than three hunters and two dogs. You must stay at that parking spot until 8:30, after which you are free to move to any unoccupied spot. You may not cross any public roads, either paved or dirt, while hunting.

That's about it. If you have any other questions, I'll be glad to answer them as best I can.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby tubbalowski » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:02 am

Frank Lopez wrote:OK, Tubby, here's the deal. I've been hunting pheasant on Long Island for nearly 50 years. Back in the 60s and early 70s we had wild populations, but today wild birds are mostly out on the south fork beyond the canal. The DEC lists Nassau and Suffolk counties together because they comprise Region 1. This is because the regions are set up to monitor all DEC activities, such as upland hunting, fishing, trapping and waterfowling. You can fish both salt and fresh water in Nassau, and you can hunt waterfowl, and legally, you can hunt upland birds. The problem is that there is virtually nowhere in Nassau county that has access to hunting for upland birds.

As far as Suffolk county is concerned, there is limited access to private lands, particularly in the western portion of the county. About the only place to hunt pheasant is on the state managed lands in Rocky Point and the Otis Pike preserve. These are the only two areas where the state releases pheasant on Long Island. Typically, the state releases birds on Saturdays and Sundays and one random day during the week. They will also make releases on opening day and Election Day. The coop is closed on Thanksgiving day and Christmas day. In order to hunt the coop on opening day, any of the weekend days or Election day, you need to make a reservation by phone. Reservations are taken by phone at the Ridge check station on Saturdays and Sundays for the following week, but you'll need to check the schedule as to when to call for Election day and opening day. You can begin calling at 8:30 am for reservations at the Rocky Point area and at 11:00 (check this one to be sure) for the Otis Pike Preserve.

Once you have a reservation, you'll be given a number that corresponds to you position in line. Then you need to show up at the check station on the day of the hunt about half hour before sunrise. When it's your turn, you get to pick a numbered parking spot from the board. You are allowed no more than three hunters and two dogs. You must stay at that parking spot until 8:30, after which you are free to move to any unoccupied spot. You may not cross any public roads, either paved or dirt, while hunting.

That's about it. If you have any other questions, I'll be glad to answer them as best I can.

Frank

Frank...that was super helpful Thanks!
tubbalowski
hunter

Postby Gabagool » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:06 pm

Wow Frank, that's some operation over there. But helpful nonetheless. Thanks for the original post Tubbtowski, I myself was curious and whatnot.
Gabagool
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:11 pm

Gabagool wrote:Wow Frank, that's some operation over there. But helpful nonetheless. Thanks for the original post Tubbtowski, I myself was curious and whatnot.

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

It's actually a little more complicated than that! You can avoid the reservation process by going out on standby on reservation days. You show up at the check station at 8 o'clock or so and put your name on a standby list. Once 8:30 rolls around they'll start letting people out based on availability of parking spaces. By 9 or so, a lot of guys are already coming back in, so you will get out around mid morning. And this isn't all that bad because there are a lot of birds left in the field. As far as the reservations are concerned, there is some limit as to how many you can go out on per month. They weren't pressing this rule for a long time, but last year they started enforcing it again. I have no idea what they'll do this year.

As far as the hunting goes, it's different. The birds will run sometimes, and some of the cover is so thick that a man can't walk through it. If you are using a flushing dog, there are some spots that are darned near impossible to hunt. With pointing dogs, sometimes it takes two guys to get the bird. One to walk into the thick stuff and flush the bird, provided it will hold for a point in that stuff, and the other to try and maneuver for a shot.

Like anything else, some spots are better than others, so you'll need to explore a little to figure things out. There are a lot of guys out there deer hunting, but they are usually not a problem. Mostly the deer hunters and the bird hunters will hunt different areas.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Gabagool » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:08 pm

Sounds quite dangerous. One guy flushes and the other guy shoots?
Gabagool
hunter

Postby tubbalowski » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:45 pm

What I like best are the hoops you have to jump through. Make a reservation, show up and wait, only on every other Tuesday, during a leap year, with partial cloud cover. Could they make it more difficult? How about I get to show up and hunt?
tubbalowski
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting