Jinxed myself.

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Jinxed myself.

Postby CLUTCHfan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:47 pm

Everyone that reads this forum can probably remember a few weeks ago when I said that I always fall in once during the season, and that I was lucky to get it out of the way early this year. Well, I should've kept quiet. This past saturday, I took a buddy of mine out on Oneida for his first real duck hunt. We get out, and start to put out some decoys. We were going to put some puddlers near the boat, and then two lines of divers just on the outside of the puddlers. As we're getting set up, my buddy is steering the boat, and I'm letting out some Ring-necks, and the boat turns slightly to the side and a wave pushes my line right into the prop. I spend the next five or ten minutes leaning out over the transom to cut the lines. Divers are flying over us and our puddlers. I get the lines cut, and the prop free, and say screw the divers, lets get set up quick while they're still flying. Two of my anchors are missing. The only one that is still in the boat will not hold us with the waves. No idea why they're not in my boat. I just know that I didn't take them out. I decide that we should pick up the puddler decoys quickly and move in to shore. We get the decoys and haul ace to a spot that's halfway decent. Throw out the decoys and move over to where we'll set up. I use a piece of PVC to check the bottom, and it's right around two feet deep. I put one foot down, swing the other over and step down right into a hole. I filled my waders. The area all around the hole was 2 ft deep, and solid. We only hunted for about an hour, and even the Mergansers weren't coming in close. It was a rotten day.

I made up for it on Sunday afternoon by getting my buddy into some ducks. He got his first two which were both Drake Mallards.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

it happens to the best of us

Postby cobber » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:00 am

Clutch, your stories are great. Good job on getting your buddy some birds. Hope your making it out this weekend. I think the cold front will get some things moving.
cobber
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting