Beginner etiquette

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

Beginner etiquette

Postby seantriin » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:13 pm

This will be my first season duck hunting and from reading other posts I know enough to not ask where to hunt. But I would like advice on etiquette. When I am scouting is it reasonable to talk to someone else doing the same. And when I do find a spot I think is good how far should I be from someone else so as not to intrude. I know I should set up with wind at my back or side and out of the sun but what if someone is across a lake/pond from my position? I don't really have anyone to go with so I am looking for information I can use to show respect to others out there. Thanks!
seantriin
hunter

Re: Beginner etiquette

Postby gooseseeker » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:29 pm

Welcome abord Sean,
Where are you located?as far as etiquette goes,try to stay as far away as you can,sometimes in State blinds or other regulated blinds you have no choice.You just have to remember that shot goes a long way and if you rain on somebody,either you'll hear about it or they will return the favor.The ROT is never set up decoys in line with other hunters and you should be OK,hope this helps and I'm in Chautauqua Cty.

GOOSESEEKER
gooseseeker
hunter

Postby seantriin » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:35 am

Gooseseeker thanks for the advice. That does make sense staying laterally with the decoys. I am in Onondaga county. I know of three rivers and a couple other public spots and hunting deer there a couple times I know it gets crowded. I'm working on finding a private owned area but tough to find those. Thank you for your reply I appreciate it.
seantriin
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:43 am

I think you have already taken the first step in presuming that there HAS to be some semblance of order out there and you are right.
On one side of the coin, it's public land and it's "everyones"....on the other hand, you are the new guy and should presume that every spot you find, someone thinks it's "theirs"....
Common sense will be your best bet.
Unfortunately, there is not a lot of that to go around. Compound that with a weekend warrior mentality and greed and you can really have a mess.
Don't be that guy
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby turf » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:35 pm

Welcome to the addiction known as duck hunting. I have hunted 3 rivers for ducks and seen a couple but never got a shot. Do you have a boat? Waders? I could point you in some directions if you would like by pm or phone.
turf
hunter

Postby seantriin » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:59 pm

I am entering with a sense of respect. I don't want to tread on anyone's space. Turf, that would be great. I'm also going to join the retriever club. I have a 7 month old chessie and have been working with him since we got him at 9 weeks. But I really want to go solo before using him. I will have some waders and thinking about a layout blind for now but no boat.
seantriin
hunter

Postby 870 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:36 pm

There are advantage's to going solo. Along the way you'll find spots that more than one hunter are too many. Try to get as far away from others as possible and never tell others how well you did, except here and don't tell anyone where you hunted. When you get burned a couple of times you'll understand what I'm talking about.
Clean your hunting spot for two reasons, one, always leave it cleaner than you found it and two, don't let others see how your hunt went. I hate cleaning up after other hunters. Your going to step on toes eventually don't sweat it, it's part of the game, trust me in time, they'll pay back the favor. Personally since your a newbe you might think of hooking up with someone who's been in the game a few years, it might save you time and money. I'm glad to see another Chessie owner on here, I'm on my third, wouldn't have any other breed. Good luck this season :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby seantriin » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:02 pm

870 that's great advice. I love my chessie. He has been stubborn at times but dead on most. I think I'm doing well with him with no formal training. Sit stay and fetch. He retrieves the dummy very well. I need to introduce feathers and real birds next. I appreciate all the feedback. Feeling a little more confident.
seantriin
hunter

Postby turf » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:46 am

If you haven't yet , also don't make opening day in the swamp the first time your dog hears gun fire. Every dog reacts differently to it. Pm me your phone number
turf
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:43 am

Be sure to post up your first duck....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby 870 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:02 pm

Wind. It will make your hunt or break your hunt. People ask where I'm hunting in the morning and I always tell them the same thing that all depends on the wind. It's my polite way of not telling them. So much of your hunt rides on the wind, it's direction and speed. Study how the birds react to it.You'll learn, right decoy placement depends on knowing wind. You can have all the right gear and be in the right spot and still have butt handed to you because you don't know wind. The first thing I look at is, what the wind is going to do and I'll build the hunt around it.
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby seantriin » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:40 pm

I have been watching the birds a lot while I'm out with the dog. I will start paying attention to the wind thank you.
seantriin
hunter

Postby southpaw92 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:14 pm

not to hjack but i also am new.... err kinda lol but there right get hooked up.... lol i bought like 4 different used boats till i figured out what i needed but let me know if you want a hand... and hey turf your local so shout me a pm i want to ask you something
Canada Geese 17
Mallards 8
GW Teal 12
Gadwalls 2
Pheasants 7
southpaw92
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting