layout blinds

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

layout blinds

Postby kaylasbadshot » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:46 am

hey guys, i am looking into getting my first layout blind. there are a lot on the market. the ones i am looking at are the avery finisher, GHG ground force, cabellas interceptor and a guideseries model from gander mountain. what are you thoughts. i will use it mainly in corn fields, winter wheat and over grown grassy fields. i know i want a blind that has the framing going through the door flaps and flagging ports. the zippered boot bag would be an added bonus. any feedback or advice would help. thanks
kaylasbadshot
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:03 am

This year is my first year hunting from my Avery Power Hunter. It has the lowest profile of all the blinds I looked at so I went with it. I didn't like the face guard so I took it off.

It works great and I've killed a bunch of ducks and geese from it.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby kaylasbadshot » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:10 am

i checked those out because they are an avery and their price. i dont like the way they open though. did you take the entire head cover off? harvey, do you have a seperate blind for your pup?
kaylasbadshot
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:30 am

Yes, I did take the entire head cover off. Last winter I went to the Eastern Sportsman's Show in Harrisburgh, PA. I talked with the Avery Pro Staffers and looked and sat in all of their blinds. A couple of the Pro's said their blind of choice was the Power Hunter. When fliming they sit in it with the lid off. That and the price as you say sold it for me.

Last weekend I had the lid off and could see so much better. I picked up a few ducks that guys with the lid on sitting next to me never even saw. My dad yelled "what are you shooting at!" All I had to say was "That!" pointing at the greenhead in Lily's mouth!

I have been on the fence about the dog blind and right now I do not have one.

She sits or lies right next to me, if I feel motivated I put some camo cloth over her, and the geese don't seem to mind. When we have birds working that pass over out of range she will occasionally turn to watch them and it has not flared a bird yet. Last weekend I let her run through the dekes after having sat for a long time. A single came in and my buddy dropped it and the bird landed right in front of her. You should have seen the surprise on her face when she looked up from whatever she was investigating to see a dead goose right next to her!

In the end I don't think the dog bothers them at all. We have had plenty of flocks feet down in our faces with the dog out in the open. If I could shoot better we probably would have more for her to retrieve :oops: , but then we wouldn't be able to hunt as long! :umm:

My next thought is to paint white cheek patches on her face, but I haven't gotten that far yet.
harvey1b
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting