ONEIDA LAKE

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

ONEIDA LAKE

Postby BENELLI » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:17 pm

Anyone been hunting Oneida Lake this week? I went last Saturday in the 50 mile per hour winds. We lost a door on the blind and the roof. Not a good start. Then the ducks just wouldn't come close enough. We saw some mallards, whistlers and buffleheads but got nothing. We are going back this Saturday and was hoping people are seeing a little more. Please let me know if you have any info. Thanks!!!
BENELLI
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:05 pm

I did alright there last Saturday, but the puddlers were few and far between. There's still so much open water, and with the high winds, the puddlers will stick to smaller water until they're forced out by ice. Benn seeing divers, but not anywhere near shore. The mergansers are plentiful though.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby harvey1b » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:12 am

Went out yesterday morning to 3 mile bay for a quick hunt before work. the wind was out of the east :thumbsdown:

we only saw a few malards up in the stratosphere, and few geese flew down the middle of the lake. I would have thought with the cold weather and small water freezing up lately there would have been more puddlers on the lake but we didn't see that many
harvey1b
hunter

Postby 870 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:43 pm

Sorry man I can't help yeah, that's to far south for me to know, but :welcome: to DHC anyways :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby BENELLI » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:48 pm

Hey Harvey...I was out on Oneida today about 1 mile west of 3 Mile Bay. We shot a mess of Mallards, bluebills and a black duck(Missed a few whistlers but who's counting). There was tons of shooting further west and found out it was the local taxidermist's group. I think he said they shot 27 birds...14 before sunrise. It was a great day all around. The bay just west of 3 mile bay was absolutely filled with bluebills and other divers. Whoever owns the empty blind there missed out on a great day. Did anyone else get out on Oneida? Anyone here hunt Onandaga Lake? On my way back to Rochester I saw a mess of ducks where the thruway passes Onandaga Lake.
BENELLI
hunter

Postby BENELLI » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:49 pm

Almost forgot...Thanks for the welcome 870!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:
BENELLI
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:08 am

good to hear you did so well. I had a buddy out there Saturday morning and it sounds like it was bumping. CLUTCHfan and I hit up the southeastern zone and each got our first ring-necks. :thumbsup:
harvey1b
hunter

NICE!!!

Postby BENELLI » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:34 pm

I have never shot a ring-neck. I have hunted ducks occasionally over the las 15 years or so, mainly on opening day, but this year due to the idiots I have run into trespassing on land I hunt deer on, I have started to concentrate on ducks. I am having an absolute blast and can't wait for the late season. My goal this year is a hooded merganser...I want one bad!!!
BENELLI
hunter

Postby 870 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:52 pm

A few weeks ago I had two really nice Hoodie drakes land in my decoys, they are beautiful!
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby CLUTCHfan » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:02 pm

We had so many hooded mergansers come into us on Sunday, it was unbelievable. Probably every sixth or seventh duck that flew in was a hoodie.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby 870 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:09 pm

i think if i was to get a fish duck mounted that would be the one in flight though :salude:
State Moderator

Where you see 'em???

Postby BENELLI » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:57 pm

Hey Clutch...Mind telling me what body of water you were on when you saw the Hoodies? Thanks!!
BENELLI
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:03 pm

I'll let Harvey1b do it, it was his spot. Sorry, nothing personal, but I never give away someone elses spots.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby BENELLI » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:22 pm

I understand...I would not ask for anyones secret spot. Just thought maybe you were on a large body of water. No problem!
BENELLI
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:23 pm

Those damn mergies were everywhere, but if it wasn't for them we would have been looking at a lot of empty sky. Those dumb things were landing in our dekes all day.

Here are a few pic's of myself and the old CLUTCHfan. The blind on his new boat is sweet. We just need a platform for Lily so I don't have to drag her heavy ass out of the water.

BENELLI - sorry man, but I can't give it away. We just hunted it for the first time Sunday. It was pretty slow, but I think we missed the birds by about a week, otherwise it would have been pumpin'. If I posted the name of the lake it wouldn't take much looking to find our spot. :thumbsup:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:54 am

Damn my boat looks sweet. Once again I amaze even myself. My geniousity knows no bounds. That's right, I made up the word geniousity because there wasn't a word in the dictionary to describe what a genius I am. :thumbsup:

For the record, I almost went into the drink again. Nothing genius about that.

It was cool getting a Ring-neck. Now I can scratch that bird off my list.

BENELLI- The weekend before last we did get some Hoodies come in out on Oneida if that helps. The trick is to act like you don't want any fish-ducks to come in, then they'll swarm your spread. I've been seeing them on all the decent sized bodies of water that I hunt.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby BENELLI » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:31 am

Nice looking blind guys!!! I would never expect someone to give away their honey hole. I was on Oneida 3 times over the last 2 weekaends but never saw a hoodie. Lots of whistlers. blacks, mallards, mergansers, buffleheards, bluebills. I guess I need to take your advise and pretend I have no interest in them. We shall see on the 26th up on Lake Ontario!!!
BENELLI
hunter

Postby 870 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:34 pm

Hey CLUTCH, thats a nice looking rig you have there really, give us a pic of the insides I want to see how you have it pimped out :thumbsup:
State Moderator

Postby harvey1b » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:03 pm

here's one more I forgot to put up

harvey1b
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:04 pm

Actually, I haven't done anything to the inside at all yet. I haven't even put a floor in yet. Next thing to do is put on my lights, and my bilge.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby 870 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:37 pm

RIGHT ! we don't want to get cought out there with out a bilge pump :cool:
State Moderator

Postby CLUTCHfan » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:04 pm

870 wrote:RIGHT ! we don't want to get cought out there with out a bilge pump :cool:

Yeah, that's just crazy :toofunny:
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Return to New York Duck Hunting