Duck Hunting Forum banner

Great early goose

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  DukBum 
#1 ·
It was a fun season with lots of birds. I was able to hunt with both my sons, it's been a while and we created some lasting memories. It was nice to have Bryan with us. Even being away from the obsession for a while, he fit right in and it seemed he never left. Between the three of us and two guess we shot a total od 96 geese and collected three bands. Theses are from my last solo hunt on Sun, 13 all together. It would of been 15 if I didn't try something new and autoloader. JUNK,,, it was fresh back from the gunsmith "ready to go" yeah right. It shot fine on the first flock and jammed on the second, so I make the 1,000 yard sprint back to my truck. What comes into my spread while at the truck about 60 cupped and feet down and they land right in my pocket. So I grabbed my o'l 870 and head back to the spread, geese take off. Next flock came in I said "Lord show mercy on these geese, because I'm not." He didn't and neither did I, I took four out of it. All in all it was a great early goose

See less See more
#8 ·
Yeah DukBum, talk about being all screwed up :rolleyes: Way too much thinking, trying to train my mine to just pull the trigger. SHOOT, don't pump, SHOOT, don't pump,SHOOT,don't pump, you get the drift. I had a flock come in, before I knew it I had five shots down range and never drew a feather. I even went out and bought some of tools "BlackCloud" (over rated). There went almost five dollars down range in no time at all. Now keep in mind that the guns gas action was clean before I took it out. It still jammed, I took it home pulled it a part and man o man was it ever dirty, I guess now I know why they call it Black Cloud. To tell you the truth I was looking for a Auto for Snows in the spring. I'd like a Barreta Outlander I hear good things about them their self cleaning from what I've heard. The people at the gunshop told me eleven hundred series are hight maintenance. I went back to the good o'l 870 and clean shooting Winchester shells. Then the next flock I cut four out of it, I also went back to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." :oops:

#9 ·
870 you need to come down and hunt with me and Keith during the late season so I can retrain you on how to use a pump,Keith bought a Outlander last year and he likes it.I have tried hunting with a auto but it is just not for me,I would fire one shot and try to pump the dam thing :huh: Keith did take his 870 this weekend and I had my pump,6 birds came in 5 did not leave,enough said.

#10 ·
AHHH you two guy's are just jealous of those of us that have mastered the sophistication of the much more advanced Auto loader! Similar to listening to a Violin rather than a fiddle :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
You know I'm just kidding.......I hunted with an 870 recently and after hunting with an auto loader for years, I kept pulling the trigger wondering "What's wrong with this @#*# thing, it only shoots once!" :lol3:

#11 ·
Man where's the like button LOL I hear ya DukBum. Look LT, I'm falling back on the sayin "Old dogs and new tricks" Of course I'm saying that because if I had the money to spend on an Outlander I'd pick up 20 more dozen snow decoys There'll be a day this fall when I load it in the boat and give it an other try when I'm all by myself. I wouldn't want any reports on how I did making it here on the site lol Hey DukBum I'll take you up on your offer in the late season if you weren't kidding :thumbsup:

#12 ·
Hey 870, try out a Benelli I have been shooting them for over 20 years and can count on one hand the times they have not fed the next shell. I clean them every time only because of the saltwater environment. But with no gas system you can put a lot of shells through without them getting dirty. And they strip down easy

#13 ·
LT I love my pumps(old school) ,plus I am always the only guy that is shooting a 3" modal 37 made here in NY :beer: ,Don I was not kidding you are welcome to hunt with me any time ,Hell we might be able to get LT to go with us.

#15 ·
DukBum said:
LT I love my pumps(old school) ,plus I am always the only guy that is shooting a 3" modal 37 made here in NY :beer: ,Don I was not kidding you are welcome to hunt with me any time ,Hell we might be able to get LT to go with us.
I'm in........I'll even bring the 870 :lol3:

#16 ·
labtrainer said:
DukBum said:
I'm in........I'll even bring the 870 :lol3:
Tom you are ok with your auto :beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.