Second season question

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Second season question

Postby eclipse1827 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:36 pm

First let me say hello to all as I am new to the site but have visited it over the last month and enjoyed it.

Now as for my question, two of my friends and I just started duck hunting this year and got a late start at that so we are definately newbies but have enjoyed it immensly so we are wondering if there is any public land within say an hour of Syracuse that we can get onto for the second season in case are hole is frozen over? Which with the weather the way it is we may luck out. Also we were told that in the early season we were probably hunting local ducks and not flight ducks and that when the flight ducks come in the hunting will get much better and with greater numbers. Is this true and are the flight ducks coming in yet? Also do they tend to stay towards larger water were are 100 or so acre pond will not see as many as in the early season. Any info will greatly be appreciated since like I said we are newbies but have gone nuts for opportunities to hunt waterfowl.
eclipse1827
Newb

Postby CLUTCHfan » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:57 pm

There are multiple flights that come down each season. Generally I've found that the later in the season I hunt, the better the hunting, but different cold fronts, and different flights that come down have a big impact on how the hunting is. You will see more flocks, and more birds per flock, and that can make for higher bags, but it also increases the number of eyes looking for danger in each flock. If swamps and backwaters are still open, flight ducks will go there just like locals will. When you scout, look for areas that birds are either giong to, or going over/near, and try setting up there. Vary the size of your spread as well. There have been times that I couldn't pull birds in with three dozen decoys, but eight decoys seemed to do the trick. If birds flare, and nobody moved to cause it, try and figure out why, and fix it as soon as you can. The important thing is to be where the birds want to be, and be concealed. If you've got these things down, the rest comes easy.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:03 pm

Welcome to the site! Glad to see you're enjoying the ducks. Like Clutch said, ducks will keep using the swamps as long as they stay open. However, if they do freeze check out some of the lakes to the west and south of Syracuse (making sure you're in the right zone if you go south). Most of the lakes have at least one or two spots where the public can gain access and/or hunt. If you get a good map and search around you can find them. There's state land, county land, and other land that's public be it officially or unofficially. If you are looking at any of those "unofficial" sites just make sure you get a few reliable opinions. To be safe you could ask an ECO.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby eclipse1827 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:05 pm

thanks for the info guys, it is greatly appreciated.
eclipse1827
Newb

Postby 870 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:54 pm

As CLUTCH said earlier you will see the flight ducks through out the season. Most of your Divers started their flight back in Sep. They tend not too move any farther than they have to.

Most guys keep an eye on their local weather, but here’s a tip on how to get a jump on those guys, keep an eye on Canada’s weather as well. Reason being, most guys are waiting for the cold fronts to come down, but the ducks our out in front of it being pushed by it. Talk about being a day late. :toofunny:

You want to be in place when the ducks get here because they have no idea where the feeds, gravel and roost are. You do have a couple of day before they find all that stuff, whether Puddlers or Divers doesn’t matter, but why not meet them on day one if possible.

BTW welcome to DHC :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby harvey1b » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:46 pm

:welcome:

Welcome to the site and welcome to duck hunting. Good advice from all these guys. It looks like your backwater hoey hole should be set for a little while anyway.

I floated a spot on Tuesday and found a LOT of open backwater still holding a LOT of ducks. :yes: That's where they are going to be until they get pushed south or on to bigger water. :thumbsup:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:05 pm

870 wrote:As CLUTCH said earlier you will see the flight ducks through out the season. Most of your Divers started their flight back in Sep. They tend not too move any farther than they have to.

Most guys keep an eye on their local weather, but here’s a tip on how to get a jump on those guys, keep an eye on Canada’s weather as well. Reason being, most guys are waiting for the cold fronts to come down, but the ducks our out in front of it being pushed by it. Talk about being a day late. :toofunny:

You want to be in place when the ducks get here because they have no idea where the feeds, gravel and roost are. You do have a couple of day before they find all that stuff, whether Puddlers or Divers doesn’t matter, but why not meet them on day one if possible.

BTW welcome to DHC :thumbsup:

Listen to the wise one. ImageImageImageImageImage
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby eclipse1827 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:55 pm

guys thank you so much for the warm welcome to the sport and the site. we really have enjoyed ourselves the few times we were able to get out and have even started planning permanent blinds as well as other ventures. also thanks for the advice it truly is handy to have a place like this to gain knowledge from local hunters in order to improve our odds since we are all noobs and dont really have anyone to guide us.
eclipse1827
Newb

Return to New York Duck Hunting