Skybusting!

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

Skybusting!

Postby labtrainer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:47 pm

Well the Northern Opener was a pretty big disappointment.
We set up in a Blind that we had built a month ago. Everything seemed perfect,....wind,....decoy spread, .....great friends, great dogs, ........................and then
Some guy's set up less than 100 yds to our right.
We would spot some birds and start working them into the spread with 3 of us calling. The birds would pass by for a look and our calls would turn them, they would cup up or pass in front of the other guy's............Blam, blam, blam, blam, blam, blam!
The birds would be well over 100 yds out and above them when they would cut loose!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
One single was nothing more than a black spec in the sky when they unloaded on it. :no: :no:
They were in a Silver Bass Tracker boat, no blind, just stuck it behind a fallen log along the shore. I never heard them blow a call, they just relied on us to call them for them.
The good part is I don't think I saw them get any birds......how many they might have crippled, who knows!
After they left we went over to their spot and picked up over 50 empty hulls, 6 soda cans and some sandwich wrappers!
Can you say "Slob hunters" :no: :no: :no: :no:
"Keep your eye's on the horizion"
from my Dad on my first duck hunt!
labtrainer
hunter

Re: Skybusting!

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:59 pm

Just meet them back at the dock and give them all their crap back....by way of the rectum..
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:54 pm

its a crap shoot on the opener. I am going to a public place that gets the same a-wipes....but I am going to the tough spot that the lazy bums dont want to try and get to.....but its tough no matter what, because a shot going off 600 yards away busts up a nice little flock just about 80 yards out coming to your spread......nothing you can do when its a numbers game...seems in the first 30 minutes not a minute goes by without a shot going off within 1,000 yards....and thats enough to disrupt birds in flight.

this isnt North Dakota....and if you dont have a private farm....you have to deal with guys like you did.

some guys are raised that way. I knew a guy who was taught by his father, " you cant kill anythign unless you shoot the gun...so taking a hail mary is acceptable, you may just get lucky!!"

grrrrr

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:07 am

toolmaker wrote:some guys are raised that way. I knew a guy who was taught by his father, " you cant kill anythign unless you shoot the gun...so taking a hail mary is acceptable, you may just get lucky!!"
the tool

I hate that logic....if I paddle for a wave and don't get it...it doesn't affect the guy next to me at all....If I am casting and miss, it doesn't affect the boat next to me...but hunting? It's just the disgrace of human nature that makes these guys shoot the way they do.
They figure that they are only out for the day at that ramp and hide behind all that "public land" rhetoric..to excuse them from having to give a chit about the guys around them
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby southpaw92 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:11 am

this is why i didn't go out this weekend! (well i also had to work) but yeah every since last year when the pup almost got shot in three rivers wmu im hesitant about opening weekend... lots of guys out are deer hunters who have no idea what there doing
Canada Geese 17
Mallards 8
GW Teal 12
Gadwalls 2
Pheasants 7
southpaw92
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:04 am

southpaw92 wrote:lots of guys out are deer hunters who have no idea what there doing

No, lots of these guys are just plain idiots. If you were to see the same ones in the deer woods, they are just as dumb. A good part of this is caused by all the outdoors shows on TV.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:20 am

It's the sugar drinks!
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby southpaw92 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:24 am

frank your right... i was still a little pissed about what happened at 3 rivers last year.. me my gf and my pup where in some brush and my dog stood up turned around and sat back down and some ass whole shot in to the brush.... i flew out of it and went up to the guy whos reply was ohh sory guy we deer hunt dont know much about this bird stuff.... thought thats how it worked.... but your right these guys a just stupid and the out doors shows right now glorify stupid
Canada Geese 17
Mallards 8
GW Teal 12
Gadwalls 2
Pheasants 7
southpaw92
hunter

Postby labtrainer » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:43 pm

southpaw92 wrote:frank your right... i was still a little pissed about what happened at 3 rivers last year.. me my gf and my pup where in some brush and my dog stood up turned around and sat back down and some ass whole shot in to the brush.... i flew out of it and went up to the guy whos reply was ohh sory guy we deer hunt dont know much about this bird stuff.... thought thats how it worked.... but your right these guys a just stupid and the out doors shows right now glorify stupid

I think I might have handled it a bit differently :eek:
labtrainer
hunter

Postby southpaw92 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:56 am

i think i would have if my father in law wasnt holding my shoulder lol
Canada Geese 17
Mallards 8
GW Teal 12
Gadwalls 2
Pheasants 7
southpaw92
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Like labtrainer said, I probably would have handled it differently. But, aside from the complete idiots, I think the outdoors shows actually encourage skybusting. Perhaps unintentionally, but they do encourage it. Television has a way of distorting distances, particularly when there's no frame of reference. I was just reading Willie Robertson's book, and in it he explains the difficulties in shooting a hunting DVD. Anyone who has ever shot pictures with either a still or video outfit knows what I'm saying. I have a 650 to 1300mm lens for my digital camera. Recently, I've been shooting shots of my 8 year old grandson playing peewee football. I sit about 5 yards or so beyond the end zone and shoot the game as it develops. When they're on the 40 yard line, that lens fills the frame from the top of the helmet to the soles of their feet, and these are 8 year olds. That's a full 55 yards away! It's amazing what these lenses will do. Beyond that, Willie was saying that they generally try and get the ducks in to about 20 yards and all of their shots are inside 35. When you look at the final footage, those birds look like they're out about 50 yards. The average couch potato is sitting there thinking, "If they can do that so can I if I use the same shells/gun/decoys/whateverthey'reselling!" Making things even worse, they don't know what 50 yards actually looks like and start banging away at birds that would require a German 88mm AA gun!

Fortunately, these idiots will retire to the warmth of their man caves and be watching those shows when the real duck weather rolls in.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby labtrainer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:14 pm

I agree Frank, I love late season!!! :grooving:
labtrainer
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:33 pm

labtrainer wrote:I agree Frank, I love late season!!! :grooving:

I told you to get up to the "real" north Tom.

Had a typical opener.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1381523597605.jpg
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:40 pm

I can't even tell what they are? They look like greasy, tarred black duck??
What is that?
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:51 pm

Slack Tide wrote:I can't even tell what they are? They look like greasy, tarred black duck??
What is that?

that's what ever was in range that day along the coast in a muddy messy salt flat.....is what it looks like

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:54 pm

Seriously man.....what is that? I see merganser feet with black duck bills with coot arses.......?????WT-PH???
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:59 pm

Slack Tide wrote:Seriously man.....what is that? I see merganser feet with black duck bills with coot arses.......?????WT-PH???

It's called the first split. All the ducks are still brown. Good ID skills though! I know it's a crappy picture, but still. I don't shoot mergs until the divers get here! :fingerpt:

1 Black
1 Gadwall
3 Blue wing
6 Mallard
16 Green Wing
3 woody
5 Ringneck

Shot over just that seagull decoy :grooving:
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby duckhuntingcny » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:18 am

hey has any one heard of duck hunting on the Jamesville reservoir? please get back to me
duckhuntingcny
Newb

Postby KRB » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:21 pm

As far as late season my dad and his crew didn't start hunting till after Christmas.
KRB
hunter

Postby BayMan718 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:29 am

skybusters have always been around...i just think its become more " popular" these days because of all the ad's for special LONG RANGE chokes " drop deads duck at 65 yards " ...this very well may be the case put the point is the average shooter cant hit crap outside of 40 yards...they see these ad's and think oh ok i go out and buy the " patternblaster5000 " choke screw it in my gun and now i can shoot 60 yards and kill every bird...heck maybe i shoot 70 yards and i get luck and break a wing...when in reality all they are doing is educating a lot of birds...same goes for shotgun loads...that say they are deadly out to 60 yards...again it may happen if the shooter has the ability to hit his target at that range...but the average shooter will not..throw in the monkey wrench that most guys dont take the time to pattern their choke and load set up's...all it makes for is bird education...

as for skybusters giving up in the late season...i actually find MORE of them around in JAN. after deer season closes up then i do in december....go hunt around point look out...and watch some of the shots taken at flocks of brant in January...it will blow your mind... :eek:
“Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading "

Thomas Jefferson
BayMan718
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting