cross lake

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

cross lake

Postby southpaw92 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:16 pm

okay guy the kids at it again... has anyone ever tried cross lake??? is so were can i launch??? i got a 14ft flat bottom.... and do i have to go to the state land islands of no??? just trying to find something near me i can hunt.... im never sure what water we can and cannot hunt and the dec map... only shows the bigger places and i know there has to be more.... just looking for a little guidance, not some one to scout for me!

SouthPaw
Canada Geese 17
Mallards 8
GW Teal 12
Gadwalls 2
Pheasants 7
southpaw92
hunter

Re: cross lake

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:41 am

There are three private (pay) launches that I know of. Quimby's Marina and the Cross Lake Boat Club are both on the river by the bridge just west of the lake. Then there's another marina at the northwest corner of the lake. You can hunt both the big island (state land) and the little island. Also, being that it's part of the river system I believe that you can hunt out of a boat anywhere, but please use courtesy and common sense so as not to tick off homeowners. Hunting on Cross can be hit and miss as I believe that the ducks are just passing through. A lot of geese roost there though.

All that said, a 14 foot flat bottom isn't a good boat to take out to the islands. Cross is a good size lake and I wouldn't want to cross large expanses in a small jon boat. The northwest corner may be better suited to such a boat.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting