Moving back to NY soon

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Moving back to NY soon

Postby japeiler15 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:10 am

Just wanted to put some feelers out there to find some waterfowl hunting buddies. I currently live in Missouri but I am moving back to NY in August. My grandparents have lakefront property on Oneida Lake. Blind #1. I have permission to hunt a couple hundred acres in Morrisville. There is a MONSTER beaver pond always holding Mallards and Blacks. Blind #2. I am going to be going to school in Fredonia so I am looking for some stuff out that way. Oh yeah I am going to be given a 16 foot Aluminum Starcraft with a 25 horse Mercury on the back. I am planning on Painting it and building a boat blind. Anyway, any info on people wanting to maybe get together because I am very new to this duck hunting.
08-09 totals
50-Canada geese
32-Mallard
10-Bufflehead (1 BANDED DRAKE)
7-Long-Tailed Duck
4-Black Duck
4-Common Goldeneye
3-Red Breasted Merganser
2-Lesser Scaup
1-Hooded Merganser
1-Pintail
1-White Winged Scoter
1-Wood Duck
japeiler15
hunter

Postby obageegee » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:58 am

Dude you are 90% there with a boat and blinds to go! A couple of us live in the Rochester area so give us a shout when you land.

Spence
obageegee
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:16 am

:welcome:

Welcome to NY. It sounds like you have some honey spots. Drop me a line when you get up here. I'ld love to head out with you.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby japeiler15 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:25 am

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I am learning to blow a call from the guy who finished 9th at the World Championships in Stuttgart. I will be back in August. I appreciate the positive feedback.
08-09 totals
50-Canada geese
32-Mallard
7-Long-Tailed Duck
4-Black Duck
4-Common Goldeneye
3-Red Breasted Merganser
2-Lesser Scaup
1-Hooded Merganser
1-Pintail
1-White Winged Scoter
1-Wood Duck
japeiler15
hunter

Postby 870 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:47 pm

:welcome: back to NY and to DHC :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby 1 of each » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:25 pm

why would you want to move back ??? :umm: :thumbsdown: :help: :laughing:
just because there is a blind in a rice check doesn't mean theres any ducks
1 of each
hunter

Postby japeiler15 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:33 pm

Well, number 1 I live in Missouri and I have for about 5 years. Number 2, considering I am still a New York state resident and I do not fell like paying an arm and a leg to finish gettting my degree, I am going to move back. Number 3, try not being with your family for Christmas or Thanksgiving or any other holiday for the past 5 years. It sucks. I am in the Air Force and I cannot stand my job. I also coach a swim team for young kids and I have the opportunity to coach college swimming if I move back. That would be a dream come true to me. Honestly the decision seemed really easy. Matter of fact, you just made it easier. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I have TONS AND TONS AND TONS of private water to hunt over in New York.
08-09 totals
50-Canada geese
32-Mallard
7-Long-Tailed Duck
4-Black Duck
4-Common Goldeneye
3-Red Breasted Merganser
2-Lesser Scaup
1-Hooded Merganser
1-Pintail
1-White Winged Scoter
1-Wood Duck
japeiler15
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:28 pm

Like you japeiler. I also had moved away from NY just after I graduated from high school. I thought I move to the promises land Southern Cali. I lived there18 yrs. Married and had three kids there, but couldn’t shake the thought of the ST Lawrence out of my mind. Personally I thought the hunting sucked out there because of the people and regs that came with it. As Hank jr says “ If this is the promise land I’ve had all I can stand”

I heard that you can take the boy away from the river, but you can’t take the river away from the boy. Man is that ever true, you know what I’m talking about. If you were like me you thought of clicking your heals together three times and say, “There’s no place like home” Again welcome back my man, I hope the transition will be easy one for yeah.
:thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby carlschmarl2 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:55 am

did someone say swimmer?! i was a 4 time all-american at alfred university. i now live in rochester. one of my roommates is the ast coach at the u of r. might be some connections there for you for a job! always looking for new hunting partners! welcome and glad to have ya!

:salude: :salude:
"Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium"
carlschmarl2
hunter

Postby obageegee » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:03 pm

870 wrote:Like you japeiler. I also had moved away from NY just after I graduated from high school. I thought I move to the promises land Southern Cali. I lived there18 yrs. Married and had three kids there, but couldn’t shake the thought of the ST Lawrence out of my mind. Personally I thought the hunting sucked out there because of the people and regs that came with it. As Hank jr says “ If this is the promise land I’ve had all I can stand”

I heard that you can take the boy away from the river, but you can’t take the river away from the boy. Man is that ever true, you know what I’m talking about. If you were like me you thought of clicking your heals together three times and say, “There’s no place like home” Again welcome back my man, I hope the transition will be easy one for yeah.
:thumbsup:

You are a true river rat if you know where Old man Island is!
obageegee
hunter

Postby f7dreamer » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:42 pm

I'm not sure if your gonna live on campus, but if you live off campus bring your gun , camo, calls, and dekes with you. Fredonia is where I live and with a little research and time there are quite a few local spots that provide good duck and goose hunting. Drop me a message and I'll give you a tour this Fall.
f7dreamer
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting