NY Burning?

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

NY Burning?

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:11 am

Who has the wood stove going? I settled on the new Jotul 600....so far so good. Just got done with the "burn in" fires...the coat these things with mineral oil inside to prevent rusting during storage and it burns off and stinks for a while.
Still getting some odor, but nice to have a fire going again.
Supposed to drop tonight.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: NY Burning?

Postby sssurfertim » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:25 am

Just got my new little boxwood stove in my shed, awsome little stove.
No island leaft for Islanders like me.
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:57 am

sssurfertim wrote:Just got my new little boxwood stove in my shed, awsome little stove.

Yeah those are fun...they off gas quite a bit in the start up, especially the little emblem/seal that has writing on it.
That must blow you out of that shed?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:55 am

Haven't heated the garage with the woodstove yet. Will start burning wood when trapping season begins in November.

Restocked most of the firewood pile with ash back in the spring. Topped it off with some cherry and other assorted stuff during the summer. Last week I cleared out all the junk I had stored behind the stove for the summer. Just have to brush the stove pipe out and I'll be ready to go. :yes:
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby sssurfertim » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:00 am

Slack Tide wrote:
sssurfertim wrote:Just got my new little boxwood stove in my shed, awsome little stove.

Yeah those are fun...they off gas quite a bit in the start up, especially the little emblem/seal that has writing on it.
That must blow you out of that shed?

I have no idea what you mean? :huh: I make a fire and it makes the shed warm.
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby wackemstackem » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:31 am

Have my vermont casting going several days now..Whos got reasonable priced wood on LI.??
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:46 am

There is a little stamp label on the front of the stove door (Vogelzang) that gives the specs and has a plastic coating film. That thing melted and stunk up the Eel Flingers garage until we brushed it off. Maybe they changed it. Also, many (all) stoves are usually wiped with mineral oil on the inside to prevent the raw metal from rusting, that usually burns off called "off gassing"...this also includes solvents, furnace cement and paint. Sounds like you were spared that pleasure.
They are fun little stoves...You'll know it's too hot when the sides turn white!
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:01 am

wackemstackem wrote:Have my vermont casting going several days now..Whos got reasonable priced wood on LI.??

Price is one thing, quality and count is another here. These guys have a TON of wood from Sandy, so shop around for sure.
They look at you like you are crazy when you tell them you want to come look at it.
But you can get some guys who load with a Bobcat and scoop it, so you end up with 1/2 yard of gravel, mud, bark and a dead cat.
Look for guys who hand load full cords, specify NO pine and tell them how big you want it, many will accommodate a large stove.
I'm paying $180 for nice cords now...but I still grab what I can from the side of the road when I can
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby sssurfertim » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:38 am

Ah I get it, not a Voglezang those are crap. Bought a sweet little airtight on craigslist guy wanted $300, looked at it and debated. A month ago the guy calls me and says $100 if I get it out of his house the next day. Great little stove.
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:45 am

sssurfertim wrote:Ah I get it, not a Voglezang those are crap. Bought a sweet little airtight on craigslist guy wanted $300, looked at it and debated. A month ago the guy calls me and says $100 if I get it out of his house the next day. Great little stove.

Do you know what kind you got?
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby sssurfertim » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:24 am

No name, will take a pic tn.
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby Leaky-NY » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:37 am

I have a cabin up in the Adirondaks and have a box stove in it. When I get there I turn the electric heat on til the wood stove catches up. But after that the wood stove is all I use. Love that smell early in the morn as you refire it and shes putting out heat. I think I paid around 200 for it from Northern Tool several years ago. Great feeling after hunting sitting there listening to her crackle as you wind down.

Leaky
If it aint ducks, Dogs or boats I cant talk now!
Leaky-NY
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:16 pm

Yup up and running. It looks like simce I'm off for the next two weeks I'll be filling the garage with wood,,,, yippy :grooving:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby labtrainer » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:40 pm

Just got 5 Face cord delivered this week , I will need one more delivery b4 winter. I'll be stacking in the garage in between morning Duck hunts and afternoon Deer hunts! No dogs at the Kennel right now...........gotta kill stuff while the kennels empty! LOL :lol3:
"Keep your eye's on the horizion"
from my Dad on my first duck hunt!
labtrainer
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:25 am

I'm still getting stink off my stove....a slight, chemical odor...I'm thinking it's just the burn in period still taking it's time.
Great stove, burns hot...a lot of heat for a small fire
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting