Not Waterfowl, But Fun, Anyway

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

Not Waterfowl, But Fun, Anyway

Postby Frank Lopez » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:33 pm

Yesterday, my son and I took my grandson on his first deer hunt. A friend of mine had access to some nice property that happened to have a stand that would accommodate both my son and grandson. We got into the woods about 2:00. I was set up about 150 yards to the north of my son and grandson, my friend about 100 yards to his south. My grandson was positibe that "we'd" get a deer. Things were pretty quite for about an hour and a half. My friend saw a doe traveling towards my son, so he texts him that one is coming!? The deer passes about 15 yards in front of my son and grandson. The little guy's heart was pounding so hard that I was sure I could hear it in my stand. Anyway, my son thought the deer was a little small, but considering that his 8 year old was there, he decided to shoot. He hit the deer, but he thought the shot was a little far back. The deer scampered off about 25 yards and laid down. It stayed there licking it's wounds for about 20 minutes (it was in a position where my son could not get a second shot), they it got up and walked into a field. They lost sight behind some brush at the edge of the field. When I got there, we didn't have much light, so tracking was starting to get difficult. We tracked it into the field, and it jumped up and ran about 50 yards and laid down again. We followed it and again, it jumped up and ran another 50 yards. By then it was pretty dark, and I told them that I'd go back in the morning and track it down. This morning, I went back and started to search the field in sections in a zig zag pattern. On the third pass, I found the deer. It turned out to have a pretty serious case of ground shrinkage, it was a button buck.

When my grandson got off the school bus, the first thing he asked was if I found the deer. Now he can't wait to have venison for dinner. He's off from school tomorrow, so he's going to help me butcher it!

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Re: Not Waterfowl, But Fun, Anyway

Postby sssurfertim » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:26 am

:clapping: awsome! He will never forget that experience, or the lesson!
No island leaft for Islanders like me.
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby GREGS » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:26 am

Good times with the family ! Can't beat it.
GREGS
hunter

Postby BayMan718 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:30 am

i bet he spent the whole day at school thinking about that deer...congrats :thumbsup:
“Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading "

Thomas Jefferson
BayMan718
hunter

Postby Papabear » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:52 am

Thats grate thanks for sharing I can't wate to bring my grand son out ai have a few years to go might bring him out ofr some ducks this season
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed-For Those Who Don't None Will Do
WE HUNT BY SIGHT-NOT BY SOUND
Papabear
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting