Diver ducks on the Hudson River?

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

Diver ducks on the Hudson River?

Postby hudson river drake » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:09 pm

Im new to duck hunting the hudson river. After the second season i heard about some people getting bluebill, ringnecks,and some other diver ducks. I was just woundering if anyone targets divers on the hudson? and if so what would be the best setup for puddle ducks and divers on the river?
Thanks for the info
hudson river drake
hunter

Postby 870 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:54 pm

:welcome: hudson river drake glad to see your with us here on DHC

I haven't hunted down there thats a tad south of where I live. :smile:

Are you finding where they roost or feed? If so I'd layout near their feed spots or on a point in between the two.

The Hudson is kind of narrow isn't it, I don't know please set set me straight? :oops:

Do you have longlines or do you just use singles or both at the same time?

What I've found what works best for me when I'm hunting both P/D is to set my Puddlers as the lower end of my J-hook or the pocket.

I then mix my diver singles in with my puddlers and complete my J-hook pocket. I then start to run my longlines divers out as need be.

I like to place my boat on the longline side of my J-hook weather this is set up next to shore or out in big water.

Keep in mind divers don't like to land facing the shoreline they will flair and not commit if your set up this way. They perfer to land facing open water. So if your hunting on shore or next to it make sure where your pocket is, it should be facing either up or down river or out towards open water.

If hunting from shore or boat I like to have my longline side be the side I hunt from. You don't want to make it look like your pinching the divers between your spread and shore or boat.

If you watch divers they don't like to fly over shore or other ducks, they perfer to fly over open water and up channels or openings in the rafts their in.They will follow them to the head of the raft to feed thats why J-hooks work so well.

I hope this helps. :thumbsup:

870 peace out :salude:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby hudson river drake » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:03 pm

where i hunt the river is well below albany and is somewhat wide and there are some big bays.

as far as the decoys this year i only used malards blacks and woodies, i am in the process of buying some bluebills, canvasbacks and a few redheads. So it is possible for me to rig them up in the long lines, basically for next year i could have my rig set up as best as possible.

I will be hunting from a boat blind and possibly putting a floating or fixed blind out in the river.

I havent found where they roost or feed because when i went out i was just going for puddlers in the tidal bays so next year i will make sure i scout the area for that.

thanks for all the info im sure this will help for next year
hudson river drake
hunter

Postby 870 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:07 pm

You bet it is!! I would go with the 5” snap swivels you see in the catalogs. I run a 32” drop lines from my decoys to my long lines, some don’t it’s a matter of choice. My long lines are 120’ long with 4lb weights on each end. You may have to have more weight if you have a current I don’t.

as far the help anytime my man :thumbsup:
Last edited by 870 on Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:16 pm

Welcome to DHC! I haven't hunted the Hudson either, but I've got a friend who hunts the river near Poughkeepsie. He hunts along shore from a boat blind for puddlers and divers, but I'm not sure how he sets up. He has told me that some guys put stake blinds out in the open water to target the divers. One cool thing is that they get some shots at canvasbacks from the stake blinds. The downside is that these blinds can get taken out by the ice.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby hudson river drake » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:39 pm

Yea thats what i think i might do this year is put a stake blind out and have the boat blind to move around if the blind is cooling down. I know some people that put blinds out and every year unless they arent in a tucked away bay they are wiped out every year.

Ill use the long line because thats what i hear everyone is usually using for divers, i have herd of people getting some canvasback where i hunt along with some other diving ducks. So far i really havent seen many other that megansers not what i really want unless to train the dog

thanks guys this site has been very helpful so far as what to get ready for next year
hudson river drake
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting