hunting cedar river

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

hunting cedar river

Postby jerdogg » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:50 am

Hey guys I'm going to my brother in law's camp next weekend on the cedar flow. He hasn't been up there in about a year. And never been duck hunting there ever. Has anyone hunted around there, and if so is it worth bring the shot gun along when the deer hunting is getting stale? Not asking to get the secret spot, just wondering if there are any birds up there... historically.
Thanks
jerdogg
hunter

Re: hunting cedar river

Postby jerdogg » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:10 pm

I find it hard to believe no one on here has hunted or know some one that has to say at least if there arebirds. Man alive...
jerdogg
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:55 am

jerdogg wrote:I find it hard to believe no one on here has hunted or know some one that has to say at least if there arebirds. Man alive...

"hello silence my old friend......"
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby jerdogg » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:38 pm

Giving a helping hand at its best.... thanks for the info. :huh:
jerdogg
hunter

Postby NYDucker » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:47 pm

Not familiar with the area you speak of. Never heard of it.
NYDucker
hunter

Postby jerdogg » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:45 am

I got more info on the location , moose river recreation area. Near indian lake and its about 50,000 acres if that helps. Didn't know if water is all frozen up there. That's all not trying to get some ones honey hole.
jerdogg
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:10 pm

I got to tell you, I wouldn't expect much but a few resident mallards and maybe geese and some wood ducks.

if you Bing the area..it is all mountains, and wooded ....not much farming, and certainly not on a flyway.

you are off the beaten path when it comes to the waterfowl migration.

historically the geese and to a lesser extent the ducks have migrated through farmlands close to a watersourse...like the Finger Lakes and the Hudson River. the middle of the Adirondaks just wont cut it for talk about duck hunting.....

if you want to talk about grouse hunting...whole new ball game.

good luck... I am sure every body of water in the state probably has some ducks on it at one point during novemeber

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Buffleheadhunter » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:59 am

I just got back from deer camp in Indian lake. I'm over toward chimney mtn but used to hunt cedar river flow years ago. Can say while in camp this year I saw black ducks, mergansers and divers on the lake. Have seen canvasbacks and redheads on the Hudson and geese are always around. Weather was high 30's water was skim ice every morning. No flights seen, numbers were low but you could definately get into a bird or two if you wanted. As a side bar I never remember seeing ducks at the flow on cedar river but never really looked for them. Plenty of lakes and rivers along the road up there maybe take a drive and find something. Let me know if you do.
Buffleheadhunter
hunter

Postby jerdogg » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:14 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the info! Went yesterday up the flow around 2pm about 2miles and found a nice little cove. Put out a dozen decoys and a mojo and started calling... Nothing. Waited there till sunset and nothing. As soon as we packed up and headed home, flocks of golden eyes and mallards poured in, of course. We were coming in the am so we were excited. This morning was 12 degrees and when we got up to the dam to put the boat in, a sight I've never seen before, an inch of ice throughout the entire flow!! Had to break ice for the 2mile boat ride because we hid the deeks up there. Unbelievable when we came back out, there was already 3\8 inch on our path we made earlier! Needless to say, we didn't see those flocks this am :sad: . Oh well, that's hunting upstate!
jerdogg
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:18 pm

that's good info for us though.......

so it sounds like you found a temporary roost!!

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting