Guides for Old Squaw on the Niagara

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Guides for Old Squaw on the Niagara

Postby flybum » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:20 pm

I have been wanting to get up to the Niagara for several years, so I started looking online for guides. I was very disappointed to come across a list of guides in an article who were all breaking the law with clients and most were fined...several heavily. At any rate, I really don't care to hunt with someone who promotes that kind of stuff...with or without clients. Any suggestions for guides that obey the law and do things above boards would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:
flybum
Newb

Re: Guides for Old Squaw on the Niagara

Postby goodst56 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:53 pm

Don't know of any guides, but if you have a decent boat I would recommend trying it yourself. Just throw half a dozen dekes off the back of the boat and float down the middle of the river. We've been going there in January for a few years now and hunt for 3 or 4 days. May not get as many as the guides, but that way you can hunt for a longer time and cheaper! Depends if you have a boat though.
goodst56
hunter

Postby bighillbilly » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:58 pm

As stated, you can do it yourself. However, keep in mind you are on the Niagara River and it is big, heavy water. Also know that you will be hunting within feet of an international boundary (canada) all of which leads me to tell you to get a guide your first trip. If you have a boat, bring it and take it out after you get the feel for the river drifts with the guide on day one. If weather permits, the lake is the best shooting and allows 360 hunting most of the time while in the river you are restricted really to straight upriver or straight downriver unless you are a cowboy. Launches in Lewiston, NY for the river and Youngstown, NY for the lake. Have fun and dress warm.
bighillbilly
hunter

Postby Papabear » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:14 am

here is a grate guided I went on two hunts with him and they were the best he is honest
He is on long island but worth the ride hope this helps
Papabear

Redhead Guide Service, NY Waterfowling at it's Best!
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed-For Those Who Don't None Will Do
WE HUNT BY SIGHT-NOT BY SOUND
Papabear
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting