Common Core (Educ)

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Common Core (Educ)

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:44 am

Who has school aged kids? Have you been impacted by these "new" standards?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Common Core (Educ)

Postby Ekern » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:32 am

I teach it. In a nutshell, it is about creating a deeper understanding of content and having the kids explain, in many different ways, an answer. 2 + 2 no longer equals 4 just because it does as we were taught. The kids need to explain and apply to real life why 2 + 2 is 4. As a taxpayer its educational Marxism!!!!! I pay many thousands of dollars a year to a blue ribbon school district because of the education it provides to the community. My family moved from the Bronx to escape the schools and neighborhoods therein. Under the Common Core initiative the kids in the Bronx where I teach have the same exact curriculum as the kids in my schools in the suburbs. I live where I live for my kids and their education. If I could go anywhere in the state or country and get the same education and pay much less tax, whats the point of living in NY?
Ekern
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:09 am

You can take solace in the fact that regardless of what they "teach" the kids in the Bronx...they will never be able to compete with your own children..
I too taught in the Bronx..CS92 on Tremont...I too teach, here on Long Island..this system is an absolute embarrassment. It was said once, "if another country was doing to our kids, what we are doing to our kids, we'd be at war with them." The cruel irony here is that we are paying our Government to do this to us!
King's barely taught, his kids go to charter schools and he is giving (or getting :huh: ) head from the publishing companies. Rule #1 with parenting and teaching to a large degree too is, "don't compare your kids."...not only are we comparing kids within the class, but also to other towns, states and even other countries! I could see if we wanted to know why isn't diabetes a problem with kids in Holland...but why they are better at math?? Come on? Half of the countries on the list of countries outperforming us are military dictatorships and communist regimes....and EVERY country on that list is homogeneous.
I have 100 kids on my team this year....19 of them are white.. of the remaining, I have 21 ESL and probably around 15 IEP's and 504's....probably 25 kids go to remedial reading due to scoring a 1 on last year's ELA...of THAT remaining group 2/3's are not on the 6th grade reading level...
They struggle with basic sight words....and I am supposed to go deep..
Now, all that being said...I take solace in the fact that I have always pushed them above and beyond. I read A Christmas Carol, Jonathan Livingston Seagull, Old Man and the Sea etc etc...and the depth is really there...what pisses me off is how we are being given these packaged curricula that takes me away from my proven materials and methods...
The point is, there will always be a top and a bottom..no matter what you call it..this is another attempt to try to make everyone equal and take the conversation away from poor parenting, socio-econmic disparities...and minorities not cutting it..
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Ekern » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:26 am

Packages curriculum on grade level. Thats the main issue as a teacher in the city schools. Now compound that with the special education I teach its a cluster F. I am reminded of a line from Billy Madison every time I complete a reading lesson. In the movie he says "I understand three words in that book now." The kids need a vast amount of prior knowledge which unfortunately isn't the case.
Ekern
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:50 pm

Ekern wrote:Packages curriculum on grade level. Thats the main issue as a teacher in the city schools. Now compound that with the special education I teach its a cluster F. I am reminded of a line from Billy Madison every time I complete a reading lesson. In the movie he says "I understand three words in that book now." The kids need a vast amount of prior knowledge which unfortunately isn't the case.

If I could prevent the birth of either Adolf Hitler or Adam Sandler.......it would be Sandler.....
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby The_Real_TCIII » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:14 pm

If I could prevent the birth of either Adolf Hitler or Adam Sandler.......it would be Sandler.....[/quote]

I can not argue with this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The_Real_TCIII
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:29 pm

I thought I might have over shot my hyperbole there a bit....but glad you agree.....
I hate his "comedy"....(because it's not)..but if you look at something like "Rain on Me"...he is amazing...

Very much like Robin Williams' crap comedy...
BUT:
Good Morning Vietnam?
Good Will Hunting?
Dead Poets?

all phenomenal....
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby The_Real_TCIII » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:28 pm

Slack Tide wrote:I thought I might have over shot my hyperbole there a bit....but glad you agree.....
I hate his "comedy"....(because it's not)..but if you look at something like "Rain on Me"...he is amazing...

Very much like Robin Williams' crap comedy...
BUT:
Good Morning Vietnam?
Good Will Hunting?
Dead Poets?

all phenomenal....

Agree again, Robin is the least funny person on the planet. Jumping around making goofy noises is funny? While Louis CK is on basic cable??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The_Real_TCIII
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:55 pm

That guy is one funny bastard....
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting