Does anybody have success hunting dry fields for ducks?

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Does anybody have success hunting dry fields for ducks?

Postby xARS21 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:00 pm

We have great success shooting and finding the x for geese in fields but have struggled to shoot ducks out of corn fields. We have access to a bunch of fields along the genesee river. what are some things we should be looking for to target ducks. I read setting up in a bend in the river because they will short cut the bend. This is mostly for late season hunting in January. Any tips would be helpful as far as scouting and set up

Thanks
xARS21
hunter

Re: Does anybody have success hunting dry fields for ducks?

Postby Hooks67 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:25 am

There is a very slim chance that you will be able to decoy ducks into dry agricultural fields. I suggest past shooting in the evening when they are on the way to roost. But depending on your relationship with the land owner and a few other tactics this style of duck hunting is effective. Some of my most successful duck hunts have been after a heavy rain where the corn fields flood. At this point it does not take much water at all and the ducks come in on a string. I am talking literally water as little 1 inch deep in a puddle no bigger than a coffee table with a mojo and a few butt up feeders. Talk to the land owner before you try this tactic: Tear up a small section of your corn lot with your vehicle in 2 wheel drive. The soil will be turned over and moist looking. In 99.9% of the cases the farmer will plow the entire field in the early spring so it is not hurting anything. When you are done doing donuts in the field put your field style deeks in. I like to mix GHG brand fully flocked Canadian geese, GHG harvester pack field mallards and just a handful of crow decoys. I notice that a lot of people who hunt out of lay-out blinds really half-ass cover their binds with corn stalks etc.. Make that lay-out look like a ghillie suit by using corn stalks, grass, mud, hay and whatever is available. Good hunting!
Hooks67
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:49 pm

Just pure scouting. We shot 13 mallards sunday in a dry field, but the snow helped immensley. The evening before we had scouted and there were 4-500 mallards and blacks feeding with geese in the field. If you can be near open water right now, and have geese in a field, you have a chance at seeing some mallards
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby altrocker1 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:10 pm

mojo's...mojo's and more mojos. i hate them over the water, but they are magical in cornfields. most of the time in the midwest we won't even set up duck decoys. just throw out a massive spread of canadas, put 3-7 mojos out and have at it. fresh snow helps, but it isn't necessary.

the best case scenario is finding where the ducks are feeding, but if you can't get permission in that field then get underneath them...river bends can work if the ducks are flying over, but if they are too close to the roost, you won't pull them very well.

despite what people will tell you, mallards will land in a goose spread. 9 times out of ten in a field they will try to land right by the mojos. as always, the most importing thing is to hide. ducks can be a little more finicky than canadas if they see something they don't like...
altrocker1
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting