Stolen Decoys

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

Stolen Decoys

Postby h2o dog » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:21 pm

Can you guys keep your eyes open for 4 dozen mallard decoys, please? I had two dozen GHG mallard full bodies, each dozen in a Diane's Custom Decoy Bag with zippered top; and two dozen GHG mallard field shells in one Diane's Custom Decoy Bag with zippered top. The field shells had the motion cones in them as well.

They were at a farm in Amsterdam/Fonda Area, that I have exclusive rights to duck hunt on.

They had my full name (first and last name) written in black Sharpie marker on the bottom, in plain view.

I've been checking Craigslist in the Albany area, as well as eBay and Want Ad Digest.

I just want the dekes back, as getting new dekes with three kids under the age of 3, at this point in time is not an option. I won't even push to have the person(s) prosecuted.

I know it's a slim chance, but I figured it's worth a shot at posting this up here.

Thanks!
JoKen's Sir Lucas Bartholomew - "Lucas"
Tallmadge's Miss Eloise Lucia JH - "Ellie"
HR Tallmadge's Spirit of Light SH - "Boggs"
h2o dog
hunter

Re: Stolen Decoys

Postby 870 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:39 am

That sucks man, did you leave them out in the field? I'll keep an eye out on line, PM me for the name we're to be looking for or post it here, might help get them back :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby h2o dog » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:02 pm

Left them in a ditch and covered them with brush. Whoever stole em, had to have been lookin.

Thanks.

PM sent.
h2o dog
hunter

Postby TominatorNY » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:03 pm

That sucks!!!!

Do you get over to Syracuse area at all? I have about two dozen mallard dekes that someone cut the keels off to use as field decoys. I was gonna glue some keels on somehow, but thats probably never gonna happen LOL. They are just taking up space, they are yours for the taking. They are just cheap decoys, not as good as your others, but they are yours if you have a way to get them. PM me if you're interested.
TominatorNY
hunter

Postby h2o dog » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:36 pm

Thanks Tominator! I appreciate the offer.

Btw, I got a possible thief in sights. If anyone bought GHG full body mallard dekes from the Want Ad Digest in the past two weeks (since November 10), PM me and I can possibly ID them.
h2o dog
hunter

Postby h2o dog » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:19 am

Ok, disregard last regarding a thief in sight. Tracked the person down and it's not him. Actually understood my suspicions and seemed like a pretty good guy.
h2o dog
hunter

Postby southpaw92 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:15 pm

h20 sorry to hear about your deekes.... do you still have deekes to hunt over?
Canada Geese 17
Mallards 8
GW Teal 12
Gadwalls 2
Pheasants 7
southpaw92
hunter

Postby h2o dog » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:31 am

southpaw92 wrote:h20 sorry to hear about your deekes.... do you still have deekes to hunt over?

Thanks.

Not field dekes.
h2o dog
hunter

Postby southpaw92 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:23 pm

shoot all i have for field are cheap bass pro goose deekes.... if thoughs would help ill give ya a few
Canada Geese 17
Mallards 8
GW Teal 12
Gadwalls 2
Pheasants 7
southpaw92
hunter

Postby h2o dog » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:01 pm

southpaw92 wrote:shoot all i have for field are cheap bass pro goose deekes.... if thoughs would help ill give ya a few

Thanks southpaw. I really appreciate it!!! Let me know if you're ever in/near Albany, and I'll get you out for some awesome hunting.
h2o dog
hunter

Postby southpaw92 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:51 pm

h20 pm me your mailing adress ill ups u like half dozen if that helps....
Canada Geese 17
Mallards 8
GW Teal 12
Gadwalls 2
Pheasants 7
southpaw92
hunter

Postby h2o dog » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:02 am

Thanks southpaw but I'm all set. Let me know if you wanna get out this way for a hunt, and I'll hook you up.

On another note, here's an update:

Ok, here’s the story. Two people I have been friends with, one of them had permission to hunt the farm we hunted on the past couple of years. This farm we hunted on was a really good spot. My friend even got permission from the landowner for us to put a duck blind on the property. A little background on the landowner. He is an older man who doesn’t farm the land, he only owns it. He leases the land to an individual who farms it. The individual who farms the land has been granted permission from the landowner to make decisions for him. This is a piece of property that I never hunted by myself. I only hunted with my buddies who got the permission.

So fast forward to my decoys getting stolen, I report that they were stolen from a property that we hunt on. While speaking with the Trooper, we decided that he was gonna speak to the farmer to ask if he or his farm hands had seen the decoys, and handle it as a found property investigation. I agree because I really just want my decoys back. So the Trooper goes up to the landowner and farmer and interviews them, asking non-accusatory questions, regarding whether either one of them had seen the decoys, or know of anyone on the property who may have found them. Evidently, the farmer gets upset that the Trooper is asking him questions.

This is where things get chaotic. So the next day, after the Trooper interviews the farmer, I get a call from one of my buddies. He is angry with me, and tells me that he got a call from the farmer who tells him that he and the landowner have discussed it, and they have come to the agreement that we are not allowed to hunt on the property anymore. He further tells my buddy that we aren’t allowed to hunt on the property anymore because he can’t have Troopers showing up at his farm asking questions and bothering him. Lastly, the farmer tells my buddy that he knows we have a blind on the property and that it would need to be removed prior to the end of the weekend. And here’s the kicker, the farmer tells him that he can’t be held responsible for anything that happens to our stuff prior to us getting it off the property by the end of the weekend. The day this conversation occurred was on a Monday evening.

So my buddy goes on to tell me that he’s ticked at me for getting us thrown off the property. I ask him why he thought it was my fault. He responded by saying that I shouldn’t have got the State Police involved and should’ve cut my losses. And the other buddy of mine that hunts the property with us, sides with him, and won’t talk to me. I finally get ahold of him and asked why he wasn’t talking with me. He said he was ticked at me for getting the State Police involved too, which got us kicked off the property, and that I should’ve “thought it through more before reporting it to the State Police.” That’s when I get angry because what the heck was I suppose to think through first?!?! I was the one who lost $750+ in decoys and bags!

So fast forward to the weekend now. We decide to go to the farm on Friday to get our blind out. When we show up, our blind was torched to the ground.

So now I’m trying to get my decoys back and find out why the duck blind was torched.
h2o dog
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:34 am

sounds like the farmer is a prime suspect either personally or indirectly....hes culpable for sure....anyone that doesn't want a state trooper on his land cant be on the up and up....a game warden might be another story...they can invent stuff...( but usually the NY wardens are decent people), but a trooper???

I hunt a farm that borders a scenario like yours...a landowner who is out of the picture and lets his leasee run a-muck....

thinks he owns the land and everything that borders it as well...

best of luck

personally id get back to the trooper and let him know the farmer went bonkers he visited him.......might plant a seed

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:32 pm

Sorry to hear about your decoys. You reported it to the police, and at this point you may want to just leave it in their hands. If the police find the thief great! But if you keep pushing the issue you may get a reputation and other folks in the area may not want to give you permission to hunt on their land.

Also, don't leave expensive decoys out in the field. There are plenty of dirtbags around without any morals.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:06 pm

h2o dog wrote:So my buddy goes on to tell me that he’s ticked at me for getting us thrown off the property. I ask him why he thought it was my fault. He responded by saying that I shouldn’t have got the State Police involved and should’ve cut my losses. And the other buddy of mine that hunts the property with us, sides with him, and won’t talk to me. I finally get ahold of him and asked why he wasn’t talking with me. He said he was ticked at me for getting the State Police involved too, which got us kicked off the property, and that I should’ve “thought it through more before reporting it to the State Police.”

He's right....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:37 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
h2o dog wrote:So my buddy goes on to tell me that he’s ticked at me for getting us thrown off the property. I ask him why he thought it was my fault. He responded by saying that I shouldn’t have got the State Police involved and should’ve cut my losses. And the other buddy of mine that hunts the property with us, sides with him, and won’t talk to me. I finally get ahold of him and asked why he wasn’t talking with me. He said he was ticked at me for getting the State Police involved too, which got us kicked off the property, and that I should’ve “thought it through more before reporting it to the State Police.”

He's right....

I agree. I've stayed out of this one for a while, but I think some of the facts are being skewed. Here's how the DEC would have treated things, you left your decoys in the field, technically, you abandoned them. We had an incident very similar happen here last year, but it was with a tree stand. A friend of mine was hunting a piece of property that he had permission to, though nothing in writing. He left to go to lunch, figuring to return to his stand for the afternoon. On his way back in, he encounters three guys in full camo walking out and carrying his stand. He confronts them and the give him his stand. He asks them if they have permission and they say no. He calls the DEC. DEC tells him that he's luck to get his stand back because he actually abandoned it. He pressed the trespassing issue and the ECO asked him if he had written permission to hunt the property. He said he didn't, only a verbal, but they didn't have any permission. The ECO "advised' him not to press the issue.

Bottom line, don't leave your equipment in the field and expect it to be there when you return.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:44 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:

He's right....

I agree. I've stayed out of this one for a while, but I think some of the facts are being skewed. Here's how the DEC would have treated things, you left your decoys in the field, technically, you abandoned them. We had an incident very similar happen here last year, but it was with a tree stand. A friend of mine was hunting a piece of property that he had permission to, though nothing in writing. He left to go to lunch, figuring to return to his stand for the afternoon. On his way back in, he encounters three guys in full camo walking out and carrying his stand. He confronts them and the give him his stand. He asks them if they have permission and they say no. He calls the DEC. DEC tells him that he's luck to get his stand back because he actually abandoned it. He pressed the trespassing issue and the ECO asked him if he had written permission to hunt the property. He said he didn't, only a verbal, but they didn't have any permission. The ECO "advised' him not to press the issue.

Bottom line, don't leave your equipment in the field and expect it to be there when you return.

Frank

I totally DISSAGREE with both of you!!
ON SEVERAL levels....
how does a land owners dangled fruit of hunting permission trump WHATS RIGHT AND WHATS WRONG??

secondly how does a normal person think that a farmer is deathly affraid to have the state police on their land...HUGE RED FLAGS

at what level of ILLEGAL activity do you guys finally decide that hunting permission isnt worth the crime?? you find that the farmer is molesting the neighbors kid?

you find the farmer is dumping toxic wastes in the swamp??

we as a society are SUPPOSED to go to the cops for help..NOT turn a blind eye or let people rip us off, because???? I dont know because WHAT??

i realize that cops are cops and they just dont think the crime is worth THEIR trouble sometimes....but whats the downside???

oh the farmer is growing pot....thats one down side? the farmer is doesing SOMETHING ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!

and you guys think the hunting permission is worth your buddies $300 decoy spread????

I dont want to pretend I am friends with a jerk farmer who values his PRIVACY over my slashed tires, or stolen decoys or shot dog...or WHATEVER might be the ILLEGAL thing someone did aginst ME!

total BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I an totally seeing this 180 from what you guys are

and as far as the police saying to the guy, we cant do anything or that your tree stand was abandonded...I have the freaking explanation for that... the dammm cop is lazy......thats his way of saying.,...dont bother me, and dont make me go do meanial tasks, that i dont want to do...

I have seen it time and again...a cop gives you a BS answer, JUST to move you along.....because doing his job at that point is 10 times more work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there is right and wrong... and sure there are fights not worth fighting...... but suffering monetary loss or worse.....doesnt fit one of those

id give up hunting if I had to shut my mouth when someone stole my stuff, or only hunt that guys farm..

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:55 pm

Tool, I think you're missing the point. First off, the "cop" with your so called "BS" answer was an ECO, not SCPD. Second, I know him, and several others. Suffice to say it wasn't a "BS answer". Third, without written permission, you have no legal ground to stand on. That tree stand, or in this case the decoys, were abandoned. The bottom line is that the OP did a pretty stupid thing in leaving his rig in the field. The landowner and the farmer, for whatever reason, did not like the state police snooping around. Now, I agree with you on that point. What are they hiding? But two wrongs don't make a right. But as I said, if one doesn't have written permission, then one cannot prove that he wasn't trespassing.

And, while I agree that we should be more outspoken as a society and be in contact with the police, the law isn't quite so cut and dried as right and wrong.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:27 am

gee Frank, when you park your car at the train station...is it ABANDONDED????

i just bought a house with three old cars on it, and my lawyer cant tell me they belong to me....he think I MAY have salvage rights to them, but they are not mine and I cant register them..... they have been there for a dozen years or more.

what judge would say you abandonded your 200 decoy goose rig in a field, when it is common practice to leave decoys in fields...even if you didnt have written permission.... there is no law in NY that you have to have written permission to hunt a persons land.,..verbal is fine...states like CT you need written permission , because it is written in the law as such.

I dont buy the written permission missing, leaves you at risk for others to LEGALLY steal your stuff.
the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:02 am

I was just talking about weighing the big picture and losing the spot over decoys...your friends should have manned up and offered to split new ones with you to save the spot. Calling in the man rarely helps anything...
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:16 am

toolmaker wrote:gee Frank, when you park your car at the train station...is it ABANDONDED????

i just bought a house with three old cars on it, and my lawyer cant tell me they belong to me....he think I MAY have salvage rights to them, but they are not mine and I cant register them..... they have been there for a dozen years or more.

what judge would say you abandonded your 200 decoy goose rig in a field, when it is common practice to leave decoys in fields...even if you didnt have written permission.... there is no law in NY that you have to have written permission to hunt a persons land.,..verbal is fine...states like CT you need written permission , because it is written in the law as such.

I dont buy the written permission missing, leaves you at risk for others to LEGALLY steal your stuff.
the tool

Abandonment, in NYS is a very real and complex issue. A case in point. My mom had an apartment in her house and had a tenant. When mom passed away, my sisters and I inherited the house and elected to sell. We offered the house to the tenant, but they declined. We agreed on a date for them to leave and left things at that. They left three weeks early, but when they left, they left some furniture, some clothing, and some other household goods behind. We tried to contact the tenant, but they left no forwarding address. We contacted the schools to see if the children were still registered or transferred, but came to dead ends. New York is very peculiar about leasing laws and has a very complex eviction process that is heavily slanted toward the tenant. When I contacted our attorney to figure out what to do, he recommended that we get a court order declaring abandonment. It took a couple of months, but we finally got the court order. The process took all of 2 and a half minutes. I would suspect that vehicles and other registered items fall into a different category. But, if you leave something anywhere that you have no legal claim to, it is considered abandonment. Without written permission, the farmer or landowner can deny that you ever had permission in the first place.

Frank
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:43 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:
toolmaker wrote:gee Frank, when you park your car at the train station...is it ABANDONDED????

the tool

Abandonment, in NYS is a very real and complex issue. A case in point. My mom had an apartment in her house and had a tenant. When mom passed away, my sisters and I inherited the house and elected to sell. We offered the house to the tenant, but they declined. We agreed on a date for them to leave and left things at that. They left three weeks early, but when they left, they left some furniture, some clothing, and some other household goods behind. We tried to contact the tenant, but they left no forwarding address. We contacted the schools to see if the children were still registered or transferred, but came to dead ends. New York is very peculiar about leasing laws and has a very complex eviction process that is heavily slanted toward the tenant. When I contacted our attorney to figure out what to do, he recommended that we get a court order declaring abandonment. It took a couple of months, but we finally got the court order. The process took all of 2 and a half minutes. I would suspect that vehicles and other registered items fall into a different category. But, if you leave something anywhere that you have no legal claim to, it is considered abandonment. Without written permission, the farmer or landowner can deny that you ever had permission in the first place.

Frank
frank if your explaination were valid, every crook in NY would claim he found the stuff abandonded!!!!!!!

its onlky "abandonded" when the cops don't want to be bothered with it....if they think its important, its a flipping FELONY 1st DEGREE I can guarantee you that

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:27 pm

Well, tool, I've told you that I've been through it, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I hope you never have to go through it, though.

Frank
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby NYDucker » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:11 pm

Right is right and wrong is wrong. If you find a chainsaw in the woods next to a gas can and a downed tree do you assume it is now yours? The guy that left it wasn't using his head but it still doesn't make it abandoned property. Same as the decoys. Not a good decision even on private property that isn't yours. If the trooper was just asking then the farmer is out of line. If the trooper was pestering or accusing then I can see the farmers side. I personally would have talked to the farmer first before calling the police. Any contact with a land owner in a negative light is NEVER good. They don't want to hear about the bs.
NYDucker
hunter

Postby Willie » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:59 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:Tool, I think you're missing the point. First off, the "cop" with your so called "BS" answer was an ECO, not SCPD. Second, I know him, and several others. Suffice to say it wasn't a "BS answer". Third, without written permission, you have no legal ground to stand on. That tree stand, or in this case the decoys, were abandoned. The bottom line is that the OP did a pretty stupid thing in leaving his rig in the field. The landowner and the farmer, for whatever reason, did not like the state police snooping around. Now, I agree with you on that point. What are they hiding? But two wrongs don't make a right. But as I said, if one doesn't have written permission, then one cannot prove that he wasn't trespassing.

And, while I agree that we should be more outspoken as a society and be in contact with the police, the law isn't quite so cut and dried as right and wrong.

Frank

Frank, do you typically screw with other people's crap just because it's left unattended? Whatever happened to minding your own damn business and keeping your hands off what doesn't belong to you?
Willie
hunter

Next

Return to New York Duck Hunting