migration

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

migration

Postby harvey1b » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:12 am

:huh: This isn't news but I think the migration started yesterday.

I drove out to Buffalo and back yesterday and there were birds everywhere. Cans, mallards, ring-necks on the Niagara River, thousands of geese - a bunch of snows near the finger lakes outlets just in time for snow goose season to be over.

It's definitely good to see all the birds in the air again, as long as I don't drive off the road watching them. :hammer:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby kaylasbadshot » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:46 am

i agree harvey. i live in webster/penfield area and not to far from lake ontario. geese have been passing steadily since last night and through today. i have also been seeing lots of ducks as well. the quick melt of snow around here has flooded out some areas, especially fields and alot of birds are in those fields.
kaylasbadshot
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:27 am

It's pretty crazy. It's like someone turned on the "migration" switch. 2 days ago there were hardly any birds. No they are everywhere.

There were thousands of them at Montezuma sitting on the ice on the south side of 90.

I guess they got here a little early.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby 870 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:59 pm

It's happening up here as well. I was woke up this morning by the sounds of Canadas going over the house. we've had a goood number of Blacks and Mallards all winter, but the sky had pairs flying most of the day.You got to love this time of the year. :thumbsup:

Hey harvey, how's your baby doing with that new rock on her hand, is she going around showing it off I hope ?:yes:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby harvey1b » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:13 pm

Oh man! She is going nuts. We're looking at places for the ceremony already - holy cow I wasn't ready for it to take off like this. I thought we would get engaged and then talk about the next step - boy was I wrong!
It's cool though. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Back to those birds. I almost drove off the road this morning watching the geese. It was like that commercial where the dog drives the truck into the pond chasing the ducks :oops:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby ganderwacker » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:18 pm

Birds have really been movin through my neck of the woods the past couple of days. Seems like every cornfield has geese......and turkeys :biggrin: Monday morning im letting the dogs out and a mix of snows and canadas flew over my house, real low. It's the first time I have seen snows over my house that low.. pretty cool. Fished the north end of Keuka yesterday and the little bit of open water was packed with just about every kind of waterfowl. I can't wait till fall !!!
" Always remember son,when hunting with fancy people,it's tally-ho the fox.Not there goes the little red SOB"
ganderwacker
hunter

Postby 870 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:32 pm

WHAT DO YOU MEAN you weren’t ready for it to take off like this this,
you put a ring on her finger. :lol:

On her road of life all she see’s is green lights. So son, you better sit down and hold on and join the rest of us married boys it’s going to be the ride of your life. :rofl:

I wish you all the best, she sounds like a great girl from what you've told me about her :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:51 pm

Hey congrats Harvey! My wife goes through all the green lights too. When I tell her something, I better be ready for her to act on it immediately. I'm stuck in downtown Auburn this week for training. But when I got out of the hotel yesterday afternoon, all I could see was flocks of geese flying over the city. 870 - I like waking up to the sound of geese. The difference now is that I just think "Cool!" But in August, I jump out of bed to see where they are going.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby quacker stacker » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:40 pm

Congrats Harvey! I wish you the best of luck. I am kind of new to this married stuff also but I can give a few pointers. FIRST dont get some guy out of the yellow pages to marry you like I did. 870 can tell you about that? Next I hope you found a girl that doesn't mind you hunting and fishing and maybe that will buy you a new boat and some hunting land. right 870? :yes: :rofl:
quacker stacker
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:24 pm

Speaking of the Yellow pages to find your number QS I had to look under spoiled husbands!!!!!! How in the heck did you find such a great woman? Let me tell yeah QS you married UP As for the o’l boy that married yeah you couldn’t of fond a better one. I’m still not going to be baiting your hook this spring, so you’re going to have to bring the Mrs. for that. :rofl:
State Moderator

Postby harvey1b » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:32 pm

thanks guys. yeah, I'm pretty sure she's a keeper.

These are a few pictures from her first waterfowl season

She really wants to shoot a buck next fall :no: . Not my choice, but if I take her deer hunting I think I'll have a free kitchen pass the rest of waterfowl season.

As for the guy who is going to marry us, well we have someone in mind. :wink:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:52 pm

Did good son :thumbsup:
State Moderator

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:36 pm

That's great Harvey! Hey I got to see some birds today. I've got to get a better camera though.

Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:39 pm

Today I watched those drake cans flip their heads back like the goldeneye do.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:36 pm

Well with all the resident Geese coming back, not only I but the rest of you boys better start shooting alot beter :no:

They have already set up their flight patterns, talk about getting an early start, there the same as the ones they had last fall. :huh:

It's good to see just how many made it through hunting season and the winter :thumbsup:

Keep the pic's coming WW you have me all pumped up and not able to sleep at night thinking of those Can's. I have bags under my eye's thanks to you :mad:
State Moderator

Postby harvey1b » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:29 pm

great pic's WW!! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing them.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:59 pm

There were a lot of snows moving today.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby 870 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:23 pm

HOLY COW!!!!!!!! The boys and I had to go around and fill in potholes the last couple of days. The fields are filled with pairs of Geese not flocks pairs! This one fields had somewhere in the neighborhood of ten pairs in it all spread out a crossed it and all the other fields had anywhere’s from two to five pairs. I hope they all stay in the area, I believe they will. Spring just started and I’m wishing for summer to end, there’s just something so wrong with that! :huh:
State Moderator

Postby harvey1b » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:19 pm

yeah, tell me about it!!

Last week I headed out of town mid-week for work. I was between Bass Pro and Montezuma and the skies filled with snows. Three blues flew right in front of me, grey body, white head, it was awesome . . . and they're right on schedule, a week or so after the season ended! :thumbsdown:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:56 pm

Well yesterday morning I was out back working Max and it was great to see the sky filled with Geese heading North. They just kept coming and coming for about two hours. In some of the flocks I saw some Snow's and one flock it ws mostly Snow's. What I don't understand is why the Snow's fly over us only in the Spring and not in the Fall. Does anyone have an answer for that :huh:
State Moderator

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:08 pm

I've been told that the snows follow a different path in the spring than they do in the fall.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby 870 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:55 pm

Just my luck WW, hey is that a Brant in your dogs mouth?

Well the river and creeks are opening right nice. I was out with the bride walking along the rivers edge and saw some Divers flying up river. I saw some other Divers on the way out of town in this big creek we have up here. So I just had to check them out on the way back sure enough they were what I thought, Buffleheads and Ringbills. Strange my left index finger started itching real bad :huh: :no:

sure wish we still had are spring hunt :yes:
State Moderator

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:33 pm

Yes, it is a brant. The picture is from our hunt down on Long Island this year. The small ponds have been opening up here. A lot of ringnecks and hooded mergs are scattered about.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby 870 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:57 pm

Not meaning to :hijacked: but do you get many down your way? Up here we have to keep our ears to the waters edge, for when they come through it's all or nothing :thumbsdown: They'll fly for a week straight then their gone :huh: They fly from down river up, straight up the channel so we try to get out towards it as possible and hope.

:skeet:
State Moderator

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:27 pm

I haven't seen many brant around here. Actually, I've only seen three pairs and a single on different occasions. I have heard reports of good numbers of them moving through the area, but only now and then.

Back to this spring's events. I was just outside and man the peepers and nightcrawlers are thick! The frogs aren't singing much yet but they're all around the porch. It has me thinking about bullhead.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Next

Return to New York Duck Hunting