migration

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

Postby harvey1b » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:43 pm

. . . . and shootin' pigeons! :gatgun:

All these birds in the air is giving me an itchy right finger too. Pigeons are going to have to go down, and it will be good practice for the dogs too. :wink:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:55 am

Our first shoots are usually our best, so start stocking up on shells!
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:16 am

Alright!! I can't wait, should be a hoot! :evilbanana:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby 870 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:48 pm

BULLHEADS!!!!!!!!! :eek: I'm ready lets go :thumbsup:

I've heard reports of some trying their luck already. I've done it when you had to pull lines for the ice chunks to drift by and the nights were so cold that you had to clear the ice off the tip of your rods :yes:

we're not :hijacked: this thread, we're talking about fish migration right :wink:

Hey count me in on the shoot :thumbsup: :party:
Last edited by 870 on Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby japeiler15 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:12 pm

:help: Just a quick question. Since I am new to waterfowling, this may seem like a dumb question to some, but to me, it is something I need to know. My dad will be doing some pre-preseason scouting for me for the Canada season in September. What I have been reading on hear from you seasoned hunters is that the birds coming into NY right now, are the residents that you will be hunting in the fall. Is that the case? If not, I will tell my dad to not worry about the geese in the fields until later but, if these are the birds we need to concentrate on, then he will be glassing fields. Also, when it comes to these early season birds, what kind of decoy spread do you need? By this question, I mean do you need well over 5 dozen full bodies or can you get away with a few shells and maybe some silos? I would like to think that I could get on a few hunts with some of you guys on here but either way I want to be alright to hunt by myself with my own gear. Any info is greatly appreciated.
08-09 totals
50-Canada geese
32-Mallard
10-Bufflehead (1 BANDED DRAKE)
7-Long-Tailed Duck
4-Black Duck
4-Common Goldeneye
3-Red Breasted Merganser
2-Lesser Scaup
1-Hooded Merganser
1-Pintail
1-White Winged Scoter
1-Wood Duck
japeiler15
hunter

Postby 870 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:00 pm

Great questions, Up where I live we have both, Geese coming home and through right now. I happen to live on a hill overlooking the river and the resident Geese fly over my house to get to the fields most of the time, so it’s easy for me to tell, they roost on the river at night. The flight birds sometimes land and feed for a short time then move on, in the spring. Their easy to tell a part from the resident Geese their in large flocks. The resident birds are mostly paired up, these are Geese two years and older and paired up waiting to nest. The younger resident Geese you will see in small flocks and they will tend to set up a pattern a lot like the one they had last fall between feed spots and roost. The mated pairs tend to stay away from the younger birds even in the same fields; they tend to stay off to the side of the younger Geese.

I use too never mess with early season Goose. I had the mindset “its too worm out, that’s not hunting”. Well I think it was harvey1b and Whistlerwhittler who said “try it”, well I’m hooked REAL BAD now on early Goose. The resident Geese are extremely habitual once they set up a pattern on feed spots. They will stay in a field until the feed is gone, and then move on. Personally I’m getting as many Goose decoys as I can get my hand on!!!!! I start my scouting around the third week in July up here, that’s when the “chicklets” first take flight. Like you I’m still learning, your never too old HEHEHE I’m sure the other boys will a lot more to say on this. Well good luck this fall :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby japeiler15 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:12 pm

Thanks bro. Well just to let you know what type of hunter I am, I am the guy who will set 1000 decoys overnight to kill only 3 snows. I am willing to drive to where ever, knock on doors for permission, and then miss shots because I suck at shooting. :lol: That is why I started shooting trap 2 times a week out here in Missouri. Lucky for me I get a military discount at the trap club. Anyway, I have 6 carry lite floaters, 12 carry lite shells, 12 Higdon flocked head shells, and a dozed oversize GHG blue goose shells that I think will flocked canada heads, would be ok for filler dekes. So, it seems like you guys are a tight knight group in the NY section, that is why I am posting now, so when I get back, I would like to take some people out, and hopefully get taken out. Oh yeah, I really wish I never started waterfowl hunting. :wink:
08-09 totals
50-Canada geese
32-Mallard
7-Long-Tailed Duck
4-Black Duck
4-Common Goldeneye
3-Red Breasted Merganser
2-Lesser Scaup
1-Hooded Merganser
1-Pintail
1-White Winged Scoter
1-Wood Duck
japeiler15
hunter

Postby 870 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:08 pm

:rofl: Well Bro if you’re the kind of guy to put out that many decoys and only shoot three, well you can hunt with me anytime, your my kind of guy. Here is a principle that I’ve applied to everything in my life it seems. That is to succeed in business today you need to be an expert in the type of business you plan on going in, in short you need to know everything there is to know about that business. Also what I’ve found to be true is “the first step to knowledge is a consciousness of ignorance” I’ve been hunting ducks and geese for forty years and I’m still learning. I’m still working to be an expert and I’ll be the first to say I’m not there yet.

Now if you ever hunt up here with us and you miss a cupped and committed feet down in the decoys shot, the pain you’ll be feeling will be your ball’s being busted :rofl: :rofl:
State Moderator

Postby japeiler15 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:39 pm

Obviously the plan was to shoot more birds but hey, snows are wary bastards. Secondly, the guy I have quoted on my profile who blows for Echo, he got me once bad. I pulled up on a greenhead and went to shoot, CLICK, tried again, CLICK, I ejected the shell and by then he was gone. Buddy told me to "Grab that shell and try it again, that is your lucky shell!!!" My dumbass forgot to check the primer on the shell. Anyway, here they come again and I pulled up on a nice greenhead, CLICK, I shucked the shell and by then my buddies had dropped the pair. Then I checked my primer and got my balls busted all day. Trust me, I am no stranger to getting messed with in the blind.
08-09 totals
50-Canada geese
32-Mallard
7-Long-Tailed Duck
4-Black Duck
4-Common Goldeneye
3-Red Breasted Merganser
2-Lesser Scaup
1-Hooded Merganser
1-Pintail
1-White Winged Scoter
1-Wood Duck
japeiler15
hunter

Postby 870 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:00 pm

:rofl: any time you want to go let me know :thumbsup:
State Moderator

Postby harvey1b » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:45 pm

There you go!! Get the hijacked topic back on track. I thought for sure this one was doomed!

Resident Canada's are a hoot to get after, and you most definitely do not need a lot of dekes. One of my best hunts last September we had geese in our faces with 6 full bodies. The first part of the early season most of the corn will still be standing so look to get into recently cut wheat and barley fields. Another good bet is to set up on the roost with some floaters in the late afternoon and get the birds as they are coming home for the night from wherever it is they have been feeding and loafing all afternoon. I did that a lot during the week last year b/c there was still enough light to get a good hunt in after work.

If you need someone to go with drop me a line. I'm always ready to drop the hammer on the honkers. We even got the old "Dyed in the Wool duck hunter" 870 get out after the big birds. There's just something about those things comin' in making a raquet that gets in your blood.
Last edited by harvey1b on Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:19 pm

870: Yeah fish migration. We used to get anxious and did that early Bullhead fishing but we didn't do as good as when we went a little later, like around late April to early May. Did you have any luck under the icy conditions? I'll keep you posted on the pigeons if you want to give it a shot.

Japeiler: Those resident birds do stick to the same general areas in the spring that they do in September. Now would be a good time to find the areas to scout later in the summer and to ask for permission. Although they stick to an area, they will switch fields and farms. So it helps to get permission at a few farms in an area that's holding birds. It'd be good if one of those farms was a cash crop farm (no animals) because those guys often plant some of the small grains like wheat, barley, and oats. These crops look like rows of grass when they come in in the spring. Dairys will plant some of these grains too but it seems that I've had good luck with the cash crop farms.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:33 am

Snow geese in the morning!! :biggrin:

Holy cow did anyone else see that this morning? I walked out of the house to the truck ~7:30 to go to work and there were couple hundred to 1,000 snows heading north. Definitely a nice way to start the day. It helped me deal with the A-holes on the drive to work.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby japeiler15 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:50 pm

:no: :no: :no: After I get to know you guys, I am going to bring some of you to Missouri and show you what snow goose hunting is all about!!! :thumbsup:
08-09 totals
50-Canada geese
32-Mallard
7-Long-Tailed Duck
4-Black Duck
4-Common Goldeneye
3-Red Breasted Merganser
2-Lesser Scaup
1-Hooded Merganser
1-Pintail
1-White Winged Scoter
1-Wood Duck
japeiler15
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:08 pm

I'll be the first to call BS! I don't believe there are snow geese in MO at all.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby japeiler15 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:13 pm

Please refer to my previous post on the NYS forum called "Missouri Snow Geese" :lol:
08-09 totals
50-Canada geese
32-Mallard
7-Long-Tailed Duck
4-Black Duck
4-Common Goldeneye
3-Red Breasted Merganser
2-Lesser Scaup
1-Hooded Merganser
1-Pintail
1-White Winged Scoter
1-Wood Duck
japeiler15
hunter

Postby 870 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:09 pm

Hey harvey a kid at work told me of all the Snows he saw out in Watertown today, he said the sky was full of them. I wonder if they were the same batch

Hey Jim how come we're willing to take you hunting sight unseen but you have to get to know first :huh: :rolleyes: :rofl:

We ain't that ugly :lol:
State Moderator

Postby japeiler15 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:25 pm

Do you really want to drive all the way to Missouri with someone you barely know? Granted to have a crack at that many birds, I probably would. My bad dude. :rolleyes:
08-09 totals
50-Canada geese
32-Mallard
7-Long-Tailed Duck
4-Black Duck
4-Common Goldeneye
3-Red Breasted Merganser
2-Lesser Scaup
1-Hooded Merganser
1-Pintail
1-White Winged Scoter
1-Wood Duck
japeiler15
hunter

Postby 870 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:43 pm

Thats ok I'll be packing they o'l 870 AKA "the widow maker" I ain't a feared :boxing:

OH so as not to be though of :offtopic: my pond out in my side yard had a pair of Mallards and three Woodies in it today WOODIES spring is hear :grooving:
Last edited by 870 on Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
State Moderator

Postby japeiler15 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:49 pm

Yup, that is what I shoot. She is off getting painted camo right now, so I am shooting a benelli nova for trap league. Nice gun, but it does not feel right without my baby. That is alright though, because turkey season starts the 16th. OH YEAH!!!
08-09 totals
50-Canada geese
32-Mallard
7-Long-Tailed Duck
4-Black Duck
4-Common Goldeneye
3-Red Breasted Merganser
2-Lesser Scaup
1-Hooded Merganser
1-Pintail
1-White Winged Scoter
1-Wood Duck
japeiler15
hunter

Postby 870 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:56 pm

heres my fancy paint job

OH yeah I was trying to stop their Southern migration yeah thats it, thats the ticket :thumbsup:
State Moderator

Postby 870 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:06 pm

OH WW, sorry I forgot we did OK nothiing to write home about on the Bullheads. We were young and just wanting to do something out doors.

Sorry not trying to be :offtopic: again BAD 870 :headbang:
State Moderator

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:29 pm

I hear you 870. We also went fishing early just to get out. After the winter 40 degrees feels warm and you got to do something outside. By the way, I shoot an 870 too. It's the only gun I've bought, that was about 13 years ago. I also had a single shot 20 gauge and a couple 22's given to me by family. But my 12 guage 870 Express is the do everything gun.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby japeiler15 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:40 pm

I am going to save my money and buy an XTrema 2 but I do love my 870. I will post some pics of it with the new paint job. There is a lady here that hand paints them for $45. Way better than paying $200 to get them dipped.
08-09 totals
50-Canada geese
32-Mallard
7-Long-Tailed Duck
4-Black Duck
4-Common Goldeneye
3-Red Breasted Merganser
2-Lesser Scaup
1-Hooded Merganser
1-Pintail
1-White Winged Scoter
1-Wood Duck
japeiler15
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:09 pm

WOW!! $45 - that's a steel.

I hunt with the 11-87, but have been known to put it on 'em with the old man's 870. I shot my first deer and pheasant with the gun shown below.

what a great picture, has everything a growing boy needs - my dog, my truck, a stringer of ducks, and the 870 - I should have it framed!
harvey1b
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to New York Duck Hunting