Pre-Pre-Season Scouting Question

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

Pre-Pre-Season Scouting Question

Postby Maine4Me » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:06 pm

Hey There Everyone,
New to the Syracuse area, and I just started waterfowl hunting last year thanks to a few buddies at work.

Has anyone out there hunted Hamlin Marsh at all? I tried to put a canoe in there last spring but didn't have much luck. Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks Everyone
Population "Not Many!"
Maine4Me
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:59 pm

Hamlin is pretty good, but VERY popular. If you go, go early and be prepared for company. Also, be ware of anti's slashing tires. I'm not telling you not to go, but I personally know guys who have had tires slashed there.

Otherwise - Welcome to Syracuse and Welcome to waterfowling! :thumbsup: :welcome:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:04 pm

:welcome: Maine4Me glad you made the seen if you have any questions people from across the country will be glad to help yeah. This site is over 10,000 members strong and growing :yes:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
Pro Hunter

Postby Maine4Me » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:15 pm

Harvey,
Thanks for the advise. I live just around the corner from Hamlin, but i think i'll pass based on what you've seen. On that note are there any other areas that are worth checking out this summer? Not looking for anyone to give away a honey hole, just trying to get pointed in the right direction. I paddle the canoe pretty well but like to avoid big water in the fall, so i think oneida is out.

Anyone have any opinions on the senaca river or 3 rivers?
Population "Not Many!"
Maine4Me
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:57 pm

Welcome Maine4Me! A lot of the state land gets pounded. But if you have time to scout some of the bigger tracts, you can find some honey holes that are off the beaten path. There's quite a bit of state land in the Northern Montezuma Wetlands Complex. The NYSDEC has maps of their land to help with your scouting. Also a NYS Gazetteer atlas will show you wetlands. Don't be afraid to use that atlas to find some hunting spots on private land. Go knock on some doors. That's how I found spots in new places over the years. I usually don't get the private land all to myself, but I don't get tons of competition like some of the public areas. Good luck.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting