tomorrow?!

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

tomorrow?!

Postby southpaw92 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:22 pm

whos going out tomorrow.... lol im off of work and its going to be NASTYY
Canada Geese 17
Mallards 8
GW Teal 12
Gadwalls 2
Pheasants 7
southpaw92
hunter

Re: tomorrow?!

Postby The_Real_TCIII » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:50 pm

I found a field loaded with geese and mallards tonight and asked and received permission, I'm going in the morning. It'll be my first solo trip and I'm pretty stoked

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The_Real_TCIII
hunter

Postby turf » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:53 pm

Some of us will be working so tear em up and post pics
turf
hunter

Postby Bob Caygeon » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:57 pm

The_Real_TCIII wrote:I found a field loaded with geese and mallards tonight and asked and received permission, I'm going in the morning. It'll be my first solo trip and I'm pretty stoked

Hey...good luck on your first solo hunt. Let us know how you make out, and do your self a favor and keep your location and spots to yourself. Your friend: Dan.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Bob Caygeon
hunter

Postby BigWater EH » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:51 pm

Just wish that storm would last one day longer and be here for our puddle duck opener...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigWater EH
hunter

Postby The_Real_TCIII » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:04 pm

Worth the effort to clear some snow away and set my decoys? Or just set them on the snow. Stupid question?

The_Real_TCIII
hunter

Postby NyDuckMan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:54 am

The_Real_TCIII wrote:I found a field loaded with geese and mallards tonight and asked and received permission, I'm going in the morning. It'll be my first solo trip and I'm pretty stoked

What do you say when you ask permission to hunt on land?? And when do you go about it??
I've had spotty luck so far and Im a pretty nice person, so I'm not sure if perhaps I'm asking the wrong people, or my area is just full of hunt haters.
**2013 - 2014**
3 - Canada Goose
2 - Mallards
2 - Teal (green winged)
2 - Woodies
NyDuckMan
hunter

Postby The_Real_TCIII » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:01 am

Bob Caygeon wrote:

Hey...good luck on your first solo hunt. Let us know how you make out, and do your self a favor and keep your location and spots to yourself. Your friend: Dan.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Will do thanks Dan!
The_Real_TCIII
hunter

Postby southpaw92 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:03 pm

well no so good luck all the geese keep landing in the corn and non in the hay.... i wish i had permission to hunt the corn.... so after that we went to my deer hunting spot and some one stole my freaking blind lol i dont have very good luck latley
Canada Geese 17
Mallards 8
GW Teal 12
Gadwalls 2
Pheasants 7
southpaw92
hunter

Postby 870 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:41 am

Hey southpaw a word to the wise, on cold/snowy days, always bet on corn fields for geese. Their looking for energy and rebuild thier fat. Grass/ hay = protein,,, Corn = fat, energy Works for us... OH, if you can get a four-wheeler with a plow or all your buddys with snow shovels and get the snow off the corn except where your blinds will be. It will up your chances bigtime it's worth the work and it will warm you up lol. :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby southpaw92 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:02 pm

870 i don't have permission to hunt the corn... but thanks for the info.... we went duck hunting today witch sucked because all of the spots i know of we frozen over.... fml.... how ever i did win a free lanyard from some custom lanyard place on face book lol :thumbsup:
Canada Geese 17
Mallards 8
GW Teal 12
Gadwalls 2
Pheasants 7
southpaw92
hunter

Postby skaneat » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:34 pm

Hey southpaw, I see that you're from Onondaga Hill area. If you are goose hunting west of I-81, the goose season is closed!!! Corn or hay lot, it's closed in the West-Central zone. On Thanksgiving morning I had seen two different sets of hunters (goose hunters) set-up hunting in a corn field south of Skaneateles, and the other group south west of Baldwinsville in another corn field. Both groups where hunting out of season for geese. A notice to all, please check the reg's and obey the season dates or the guys in green will be paying you a visit!

May all of you be safe afield, pass on the hunting tradition to a new hunter, and may you all become a "Stage 5" hunter (for the definition of a Stage 5 hunter, please check the latest Sportsmen's Education Program training manual or attend a hunter safety class with a youngster). Best wishes to all
skaneat
hunter

Postby southpaw92 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:28 pm

yeah i know its closed... wasnt hunting west central.... dont worry... screw up duck seasons one year.... i was so excited that i had gotten a boat (i was 16) i went out day after season closed.... trust me i get nervous ever since then when i dont hear anyone else shooting lol
Canada Geese 17
Mallards 8
GW Teal 12
Gadwalls 2
Pheasants 7
southpaw92
hunter

Postby Hooks67 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:38 pm

The seasoned waterfowl hunters set up Canadian goose decoys with Mallard decoys while hunting fields for ducks. Regardless of whether goose season is open. It is a confidence builder for shy birds. And you never see a corn field with just mallards alone. Mixed in are geese, seagulls,crows etc.. Get creative.
Hooks67
hunter

Postby southpaw92 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:53 pm

hooks.... how do you get duck and geese to come into hay when they want to be in the corn next to you
Canada Geese 17
Mallards 8
GW Teal 12
Gadwalls 2
Pheasants 7
southpaw92
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:05 pm

I was out checking muskrat traps yesterday and saw 4 guys that looked like they were going out to do some pass shooting in Tyvek suits, actually waved to them as I drove by. I'm just north of you Skaneat, and it never occurred to me that goose was closed. By the middle of November, I'm just focused on divers. :thumbsup:
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting