Happy Thanksgiving!!

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:20 am

I hope you all have a great day and a good hunt! Especially those of us on Long Island which opens tomorrow (in hellish conditions)....
We'll see if we can get some pics up.
Enjoy and keep your hat on!
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!!

Postby toolmaker » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:32 am

AS WELL TO YOU long islander-ite.... that banded black duck awaits you!

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby duckdoyle » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:56 am

best wishes...........
duckdoyle
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:46 pm

A happy and safe Thanksgiving to all! Tomorrow dawns another season. May the birds be plentiful and your aim true. Be safe and mind the wind and tide!

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:52 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:A happy and safe Thanksgiving to all! Tomorrow dawns another season. May the birds be plentiful and your aim true. Be safe and mind the wind and tide!
Frank

I still haven't settled on a pistol Frank, but I think that would be a nice way to fill the deep winter days after the season.
I'll look you up then..
Good luck...

ps- why don't you post up some of those birds you've been carving?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby sssurfertim » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:25 pm

Have a good one everybody. Taking the big boat across in the morning, hunting with the layout blinds. Didn't have time to get the boats in yet, ran up deerhunting one more time ahead of the storm and got a big bodied 5 Pt Monday afternoon that was checking his rub line on the ridge my treestand was on. Now onto those ducks!
Attachments
image.jpg
No island leaft for Islanders like me.
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby KRB » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:40 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to all. Good luck tomorrow! be safe. :thumbsup:
KRB
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:37 pm

Jeees Tim...
It was hard to get some scale on those cro-magnum black ducks when you posted them a while back....but next to that shop vac...they look nuts...I think they are eying up that buck!
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby southpaw92 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:07 pm

guys good hunting in tomorrow!!!! be safe and fill your limits!
Canada Geese 17
Mallards 8
GW Teal 12
Gadwalls 2
Pheasants 7
southpaw92
hunter

Postby NyDuckMan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:58 pm

sssurfertim wrote:Have a good one everybody. Taking the big boat across in the morning, hunting with the layout blinds. Didn't have time to get the boats in yet, ran up deerhunting one more time ahead of the storm and got a big bodied 5 Pt Monday afternoon that was checking his rub line on the ridge my treestand was on. Now onto those ducks!

He's a nice size, too bad he doesn't have 8pts, he definitely has the build for that or more. My gf's stepdad got a 6pointer last week that was 3/4 the size of this warlock.
**2014 - 2015**
3 - Wood Ducks
1 - Mallard
4 - Canada Goose
5 - Pheasants
1 - Crow
NyDuckMan
hunter

Postby 870 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:33 am

Happy Thanksgiving guys! I hope your first day went well :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Leaky-NY » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:10 am

Hey guys enjoy your hunt, enjoy the meal but most of all enjoy the time with with family and friends. be safe out there.

Leaky
If it aint ducks, Dogs or boats I cant talk now!
Leaky-NY
hunter

Postby sssurfertim » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:34 am

NyDuckMan wrote:
sssurfertim wrote:Have a good one everybody. Taking the big boat across in the morning, hunting with the layout blinds. Didn't have time to get the boats in yet, ran up deerhunting one more time ahead of the storm and got a big bodied 5 Pt Monday afternoon that was checking his rub line on the ridge my treestand was on. Now onto those ducks!

He's a nice size, too bad he doesn't have 8pts, he definitely has the build for that or more. My gf's stepdad got a 6pointer last week that was 3/4 the size of this warlock.

Big bodies but they just do not have the genetics or the nutrition in my area of the Catskills to grow big racks. No farms or fields for them to graze.
No island leaft for Islanders like me.
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby DukBum » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:39 am

Happy Thanksgiving everyone
There is more to this then just killing ducks
DukBum
State Moderator

Postby BigWater EH » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:31 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! Gonna give it a go this afternoon, it was blowing 35+ this am so I didn't bother launching. Went down for a look at 10a and saw some buffleheads and old squaw flying so let's see what this afternoon brings. Enjoy your Turkeys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigWater EH
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:41 pm

It was pretty rude here so I took the meadow box out into a walk in spot....I had 6 blacks drop right in on me in the dark setting and they were reluctant to get up when I entered the water to set some deeks...
I had one dump in at first legal, I let him go....
Two more surprised me and flared at 15 yards ...
Then this guy came in on a low, committed line right over the grass tips without a second thought..I drained him with #3's..
After that, I had a gorgeous marsh hawk flair as he passed over me at 15 feet..funny that I scared him...the same thing with a GB Heron...but he decided to sit on the bank 10' from my deeks...Thanks!
From there I had at least 15 more blacks in pairs and triples completely gonzo over my spot...so cool to see them wrestle with wanting in, but knowing that it's not right..
It was nice to open the season with a nice, pure black....no white on the spec and a fat head...
Attachments
TG Blk Dk '13.jpg
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:39 am

Slack Tide wrote:Jeees Tim...
It was hard to get some scale on those cro-magnum black ducks when you posted them a while back....but next to that shop vac...they look nuts...I think they are eying up that buck!

That's what I was talking about .....not the deer!
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby wackemstackem » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:44 am

sssurfertim wrote:
NyDuckMan wrote:

Big bodies but they just do not have the genetics or the nutrition in my area of the Catskills to grow big racks. No farms or fields for them to graze.

I used to think the same thing about the area I used to hunt. Then I did a little more homework threw away the rifle and started bow hunting years ago. Those 130 8pnts are out there tim. Seek and you shall find..
This book changed it all for me.. Hunting whitetails by the moon.. Imho its the bible for bow hunters.. Read it..
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Postby Frank Lopez » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:51 am

Hope everyone had a great Holiday and opener. We did alright up here. Went out bright and early and beat the crowds. We had about half dozen birds in the decoys 15 minutes before legal shooting time. Once the alarm went off, it was almost non stop action for a couple of hours. Lots of black ducks around! We packed out at 9:30 with seven birds between two of us. Two blacks, one black-mallard cross, one mallard (pretty big one) and three wigeon. There were lots of wigeon around, too. Many more than is normal for this time of the year.

I didn't go out this morning, too much celebrating yesterday. But, as has become a tradition around here, this afternoon I'll be taking my 9 year old grandson on a duck hunt. The tide should be perfect, so we'll see what happens.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting