My opener and a technical question

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

My opener and a technical question

Postby wackemstackem » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:15 am

With the wind blowing 25knts nw and having a dropping tide leaving most of my places to hunt inaccessible without a long boat ride my spots to hunt were limited.
The wack actually planned on getting to his spot an hr or so before shooting light and that I did but not without a few problems.
The first being I left my bag with everything in it at the house :mad: but hey I remembered my thermos of hot coffee and who needs a license, shells and calls anyway right :thumbsup:
Having my little slice of heaven out of the wind and with enough tide to keep me from moving my boat till 830am or so was all that mattered on opening day and since there was no way the man in green jeans can get any where near me in that big boston whaler that draws almost 4 ft of water off we went at 515am.
Arriving on time and from a distance did not have any flashlights waving at me or notice any other boats in my opening day honey hole brought a smile to our faces..
But wait...
Why haven't those ducks gotten up wth is going on...I see no boats...Unless you can walk on water you cant walk in whats goin on here????
Getting closer I see whats goin on....OMG!!!!(actually that's not what I said this is a family website) Someone put their deeks out last night !!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: Oh the horror!!
I have never had a problem being outsmarted or late to the party and always have a plan b and a plan c but in almost 20 yrs of duckin the back bays this has never happened to me before and really pissed me off. I just had to know who this miscreant was whom I believe has broken the sacred laws both ethically and legally of duckin and stolen my opening day right to stay out of the wind and not have to move my boat around and walk through that damn 2ft thick mud.. The wack was NOT happy!!
Plan b was less that a 10 min ride so there I sat and waited for this dope that thinks he's outsmarted every duck hunter in western nassau like a spider waiting for a fly in his web.
Sure enough I know him and have givin him one to many tips
Sure enough he's seen me hunting here before
Sure enough hes on his third season and don't know any better
Rather than deal with the all pro ducker with 50 blades of grass on his row boat its off to plan b.
Deeks in 15 or 20 min before shooting light
Sure enough I miss that first black cupped and committed and so does my partner. Along with a pair that drops by next.
Im hell bent determined not to miss the next bird now. Along comes a single drake mallard that just had to be lost givin my location in the middle of the bay. I fill that bird with so much steel I cant believe it still floats.. Chessie swims out and gets it, yay me.. A nice walk on the marsh and chessie kicks up a few blacks hunkered down in the small puddles all misses.
That's it for the day but the man upstairs is not done with me yet.
Sure enough the engine wont start and when it does we cant do more than 5 knts. finger to the head..pow
Sure enough I cant wait to get out again tomorrow morning.
And no..Mr green jeans did not find me I guess those guys that went swimming kept them busy. But he did find several other guys I heard from
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Re: My opener and a technical question

Postby BrowningBlaster » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:09 am

That's tough going. I would have hunted over his decoys! My grandfather had a spot that would get hijacked like that, the only way he could keep his spot that he hunted for over 40 years was to anchor a boat out there, with lights on it. Couldn't get away with that today with the coast guard.
Snow Goose Triple Digit Member
BrowningBlaster
hunter

Postby wackemstackem » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:32 am

That's the question,Theres no reservations on the marsh but as far as I remember its illegal to put deeks out the night before. No..??
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Postby sssurfertim » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:09 pm

You had as good a time as me, took the chincoteague and had the gasoline popped off halfway across the bay without me knowing. Boat ran dry and took a couple over the stern as I was pumping the ball to get gas in the motor, 3 foot chop solid no BS. Soaked and freezing spray I got to my spot, but just saw all blackducks. Shot my black and headed home by 745 am. My buddies went to the spot I usually hunt opening day at and got Gadwalls, teal, and blackducks. Nice weather tomorrow will try to bang up the buffies in the morning before work.
No island leaft for Islanders like me.
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby BigWater EH » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:10 pm

That guy who left them overnight is a fool with the weather we had for the opener. He's lucky they didn't ice over and sink or worse case have someone collect them and walk off. Had to be a newbie. I'd never under any circumstances leave stool over night.

Heck this morning the ice was forming around our rig and there wasn't a breath of wind out. Not much shooting out on the east end this morning, but we did get our dl on black duck lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigWater EH
hunter

Postby sssurfertim » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:11 pm

Oh yea...... Those decoys would have ended up in a heap on the marsh if it was me. First come first serve :lol:
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby wackemstackem » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:17 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of filling them with steel.

Isn't it illegal to leave them out???
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Postby BigWater EH » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:21 pm

Legally I'm not sure statewide, but I do know certain towns if your hunting on trustee bottom you cannot. I believe Suffolk county parks have a rule about collecting your rig at the end of the hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigWater EH
hunter

Postby sssurfertim » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:47 pm

It's not illegal and it's not illegal to toss them in the reeds.
sssurfertim
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting