Waterfowl Recipes

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Waterfowl Recipes

Postby japeiler15 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:16 pm

Alright guys, I know we all like to kill waterfowl. In my opinion, it is not right to kill anything unless you are going to eat it, with a few exceptions. What are some of your favorite recipes for these birds? I like to make duck/goose rolls. Here is what I do.

First soak the breasts in salt water for a day and I like to change out the water at least 3 times.

Next I marinade the breasts in italian dressing for a day or two.

Take the marinaded breasts and cut them into cubes, maybe 1/2 inch square or so.

Chop up some peppers and some onions.

Take 2 chunks of meat and put them on a toothpick.

Add some pepper and onion chunks onto your toothpick.

Wrap that bad boy in a half piece of bacon.

Throw it on the grill for about 7 minutes

Eat it up after it cools for a bit.
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Who has some more?
08-09 totals
50-Canada geese
32-Mallard
10-Bufflehead (1 BANDED DRAKE)
7-Long-Tailed Duck
4-Black Duck
4-Common Goldeneye
3-Red Breasted Merganser
2-Lesser Scaup
1-Hooded Merganser
1-Pintail
1-White Winged Scoter
1-Wood Duck
japeiler15
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:57 pm

Here's one for you guys with a meat grinder. This is what I do with most of my birds. It could proably make mergs taste good, I've used it with strong tasting brant and they came out great. I usually do a big batch, about 8 - 12 pounds at a time.

Waterfowl Summer Sausage

2 lbs 50:50 mix of ground waterfowl and pork butt
½ tsp pepper
½ tsp mustard powder
½ tsp garlic powder (or I use fresh ground garlic)
Worcestershire sauce (small amount)
2 ½ tbls Morton Tender Quick Salt
1 ½ tbls Liquid Smoke

Directions:
Combine all ingredients well and shape into rolls and wrap in saran wrap. Refrigerate for 24 hours. Unwrap and bake on rack at 300 degrees for 1 hour. Re-wrap after it cools and refrigerate or freeze.

(Rolls should be cooked to 160 degrees F and measure ~ 6-8" in length and 2" in width.)
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:43 am

I've had your summer sausage, and it is great. You and one other guy I used to know are the only ones I've tried that I liked.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:59 pm

Thanks Clutch. Actually it's a pretty simple recipe. No casings needed. It's just time consuming with the grinder and clean up. That's why I usually make larger batches.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:53 pm

Personally I don’t have any one way over another, I love them anyway I can get them. Every time I walk in and smell them cooking I ask my wife how she’s cooking it and she says back, it’s Cindy’s surprise.

I believe the problem people have with the strong taste of waterfowl is that they fail to prep them correctly especially Divers.

What I do is to clean them that day and start to get as much of the blood out of the breast as possible, the strong taste is in the blood. I soak the breast in salt water overnight and I replace the water several times and actually squeeze the breast to get out as much of the blood as possible then re-soak again I do it as the water turns red I’ll change it. You will see the breast turn pail in color, but don’t worry they’ll taste like ducks and geese believe me.

Here’s a book that my wife has its called “365 Wild Game Recipes” by Edie Franson.

It covers Big Game, Upland birds, Small Game, Ducks and Geese, Fresh fish and other savory dishes. It’s a must get book

Side note: As I’m typing this I keep seeing Mallards and Woodies dropping into my side yard pond. If I get woke up tomorrow with “Susie” quacking away like she did this morning I’m going to sick Max on her :yes:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby japeiler15 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:59 pm

Just think if Max get her, you can cook her up and tell us how you did it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
08-09 totals
50-Canada geese
32-Mallard
7-Long-Tailed Duck
4-Black Duck
4-Common Goldeneye
3-Red Breasted Merganser
2-Lesser Scaup
1-Hooded Merganser
1-Pintail
1-White Winged Scoter
1-Wood Duck
japeiler15
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:05 pm

You mean Max likes getting ducks? Never would've figured. I've never seen a dog that got down to business (other than beagles) quite like he did. It was like flipping a switch.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby 870 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:20 pm

I think the switch is turn off here :no:
OH Max likes his duck breast cook in butter and a little pink on the inside an unseasoned :rolleyes:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Dep666 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:30 am

Mingy Don, I think that the couch potato bug has been running rampant.......Mr. Parker has since gotten out of his "after hunting season Funk" as is ready for spring King fishin.....

Oh yea that mutt would eat a nice whistler breasted and cooked on a coleman right in the blind.......Thats MY boy!
Dep666
hunter

Postby army guy » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:11 pm

hard to beat a good jerky.. here's what i do for ducks and geese
1 tbs onion powder, 1 tbs garlic powder, 2 teaspoons black pepper, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2/3 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup teriyaki, 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar, 5 tbs liquid smoke, 1/2 cup pineapple juice, 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes. 1/4 cup worcestershire

small bowl. mix onion,garlic, blk pep..season meat lightly..reserve remaing spices..

in a small saucepan over med heat mix sugar and all liquid ingrediants until surgar disolves pour over meat and mix by hand refrigerate at least 3 hours

place on dehydrator and sprinkle with remaining spice and red pep

this makes a sweet and spicy mix thats sooooo gooood...
enjoy
army guy
hunter

Postby T-MAN » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:28 am

I soak them in salt water for a night. I then cut them up into one or two inch chunks, and soak them in franks red hot for one or two hours before cooking.

I then cut up some peppers and oinions and put the duck, peppers, and onions on a shiskabob (or however yopu spell it) and cook them on the grill. As i do it i paste some red hot on it as its cooking. It is really good..
T-MAN
hunter

Postby Ducks4Coach » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:41 pm

Peiler, you ever try my bacon wrap?

Cube the breasts and soak them in Italian dressing for a few hours.

Use a medium baking dish to cook with and cover the bottom with Italain dressing.

Then wrap them individually in bacon and bake on 350 until the birds are done (usually 30 minutes or so).

The bacon will be a little chewy so to fix that, you can slightly cook the bacon before wrapping the cubes.

Also try throwing some jalepeno slices in the dish to cook with it.

I have a few other recipes that I use but none too complex.
-Coach

Going for 50!
Ducks4Coach
hunter

Postby 870 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:52 pm

Hey coach I'll be trying that one thanks for sharing, I really like the Jalepeno part now your talken :thumbsup:

BTW :welcome: to DHC glad your bringing something to the table :rofl:
State Moderator

Postby Ducks4Coach » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:12 pm

870, They also taste great on the grill. But there is no need to precook the bacon. If you want the jalepenos, just wrap them with the meat
-Coach

Going for 50!
Ducks4Coach
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:15 am

:dito:

That's the way I make them, but I wrap bacon around a piece of duck or goose with a chunk of sweet onion and a piece of pepper. You can use whatever pepper you want depending on how spicey you like it, and throw them on the grill. My fiance's dad calls it "fire duck". I made some with jalapeños but forgot to mention it and got him :rofl:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby 870 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:21 am

:hijacked2: hey Matt are you still playing hooky from work :huh:
like me :yes:
State Moderator

Postby harvey1b » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:36 am

:headbang:

no, but I'm stuck at my desk this week and I find my mind wandering from spreadsheets and GIS maps to duck hunting sites for some reason :rolleyes:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby 870 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:02 am

Concentrate Matt, concentrate :toss:

while I spend the rest of the day painting decoys :yes:
State Moderator

Postby japeiler15 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:28 pm

Good recipe Coach. That does not negate the fact that you are still a big tool. Just kidding. Let me tell all of you New Yorkers that the Missouri turkey season has been TOUGH. The birds are not gobbling on the ground much, except for the one Steve(Ducks4Coach) shot. Oh well I have until the 6th of May to fill my tags.
08-09 totals
50-Canada geese
32-Mallard
7-Long-Tailed Duck
4-Black Duck
4-Common Goldeneye
3-Red Breasted Merganser
2-Lesser Scaup
1-Hooded Merganser
1-Pintail
1-White Winged Scoter
1-Wood Duck
japeiler15
hunter

Postby 870 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:01 pm

Sounds like to me the Coach put forth the winning play :party:
State Moderator

Postby Ducks4Coach » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:53 am

Peil, Since it's still gametime in Missouri for turkeys, I give you till the bottom of the 9th inning (May 6th) to bag your birds. Currently, the score is Coach 1, Peil 0. Enjoy playing the game. I'm taking the field on Sunday. We got a baseball tourney on Saturday. Good luck and have fun.
-Coach

Going for 50!
Ducks4Coach
hunter

Postby japeiler15 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:40 pm

I am going out in the morning. Wish me luck. I can only hunt until 9 so who knows.
08-09 totals
50-Canada geese
32-Mallard
7-Long-Tailed Duck
4-Black Duck
4-Common Goldeneye
3-Red Breasted Merganser
2-Lesser Scaup
1-Hooded Merganser
1-Pintail
1-White Winged Scoter
1-Wood Duck
japeiler15
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:11 pm

swing, batter batter swing OOOOOOH low and inside, had him looken though, any closer and that would of been a ball buster :rofl:
State Moderator

Return to New York Duck Hunting