Who has some lead?

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Who has some lead?

Postby 870 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:23 pm

If we get together this spring/summer grab all the lead you can get your grimy mitts on. I’m looking to bring my “Binford 6000" lead smelter and decoy wait molds. If you have some molds for sinkers or what ever bring them we’ll do um up :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:05 pm

I'm up for it! I've got a boxful of anchors over the years from different people and places. However, most of the ones I'd use are already tied to my decoys. The other ones are too light and drag. I'd love to melt them down and make some heavier ones.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:55 pm

Your on WW, I have three types of molds there oval, round and the type that has four ears to wrap your line around. I forgot the name of that one; anyways it doesn’t take long at all. A buddy of mine and I knocked out 85 in 45mim. This smelter is a Tim Taylor 6000 signature series FEED THE BEAST :bow:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby harvey1b » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:12 am

I have a couple hundred lbs. How much would you like me to bring?
The weights with the hons are awesome, but a bag full is pretty heavy so I'ld be into a bunch of the smaller ones.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:48 am

I've got a mold for a smaller anchor with ears and another two-sided mold that makes two different sizes of larger round anchors. I haven't gotten into using them because I don't have a smelter. I'll bring them to the event.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby Jpensyl » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:33 pm

I have strap weight molds but they are always too brittle when I get done. I bend them a few times and then, woops half a weight. I need some one to show me where I'm messing up eventually.
"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

Postby 870 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:51 pm

Matt, those weights I gave you were made for big water. The ones I have like that are on my Puddlers only. I know what you mean; I wouldn’t want to trek into a spot to far with those. Mine go from boat to bag into the garage. That’s an easy fix I also made a ton of lighter ones, I just didn’t poor so much lead into the molds.

Matt if you want we can re-smelt them if you want to no prob

Jim it sounds like you need to use a softer lead, not all dead is the same. I believe lead you would get from tire weights is a harder lead than what you would get from what they used on piping.

SIDE NOTE: Go to your local transfer site sometimes they get lead in there and don’t know what to do with it. I told the boys at mine to keep their eyes out for some and before you knew it I had two 5-gallon pales of it waiting for me :thumbsup:
State Moderator

Return to New York Duck Hunting