EARLY AUGUST GOOSE SEASON IN N.Y.????

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

EARLY AUGUST GOOSE SEASON IN N.Y.????

Postby OGKILLA911 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:11 pm

a buddy of mine was telling me that the DEC was thinlking about an early august goose season this year due to the large number of resident geese. anybody else heard about this?
"Robins don't screw blackbirds......"
OGKILLA911
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:18 pm

I've heard it won't happen until August '08 at the earliest.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby OGKILLA911 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:36 pm

well, their is no reason for them not to have one this year. everywhere i go i see geese. in fields, on any body of water, downtown syracuse, residential back yards, pretty much anywhere. damn, harvey, i had my hopes up :sad:
OGKILLA911
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:31 pm

The DEC can't allow it until the federal government tells them it's OK. Changes take time but I'm psyched just thinking that it may happen in 2008.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby Silverbullet » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:35 pm

i wouldnt mind getting more tim to hunt
Silverbullet
hunter

Postby Jpensyl » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:23 pm

I'd rather have the additional days in february or late janurary. The resident geese will stick around well after the migrants pass through. Also the ones that like to hang out at the local soccer field are forced into the corn fields to feed, unlike in august where they will be in small groups sitting in the local fountains. During our late goose season in the southern zone last janurary we took 3 bands in the last couple days of the season. All of the bands were from iroqois or the tonawanda refuge right here in wny. When everything was rock solid they moved north to the lake and hung out on the beach for a couple weeks until it really got cold and they were forced south. I truly believe that late seasons would be more effective than an august season for erradicating "park geese"
"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:55 pm

Man if it gets any earlier we can fry them up and make omelets out of them. Personally I hope that’s just a roomer. Leave it to the DEC :stouff:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Geese

Postby Dep666 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:59 pm

I also think the season should be later.......On all waterfoel for that matter. A few years ago I can remember hunting the late seaon in one of the most unbelievable snow storm . Now we hunt in 50 degree days....IN FREAKIN JANUARY! If they want to get a grasp on the goose population ....make the season open for the entire duck season and then a few weeks after. Plus jackin up the limit to say 4 or 5 wouldn't be bad either.......

I would be happy if the changed the late season to mid January to Feb.........DIVERS BABY!
Dep666
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:08 pm

870 wrote:Man if it gets any earlier we can fry them up and make omelets out of them. Personally I hope that’s just a roomer. Leave it to the DEC :stouff:

Ha!!

Much earlier and it'll be gathering rather than hunting!

harvey1b
hunter

Postby Jpensyl » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:48 pm

The resident goose population has to be targeted when the migrants are not around. Opening the season during the whole duck season and raising limits in the west central zone would help with residents but also would target migrant flocks passing through that dont need "thinning out". Our resident flocks don't like to migrate. The northern birds will come and go and the residents will still be hanging around. IMO the perfect solution would be our traditional 25 day 8 bird a day september season. Followed by our structured migrant seasons, (oct, nov, dec) and then open it wide open in february with another 5-8 bird a day season. I understand its hard to accomplish without targeting northen birds with low numbers, but this seems to be the only solution without having to hunt the golfcourses during thier invitational tourny's. My opinion may be somewhat biased because here in Niagara county we get a couple more weeks of migrant goose season that you west central boys, also our hunt last's longer than the first flock because after the first 3 hits we get 2 more :tongue: .
"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

Postby Jpensyl » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:54 pm

I almost forgot, I did think of the ultimate solution for targeting "park, golf course and harbor geese" Collar them all with a specific color collar as goslings. If a golfcourse wanted its nuisance geese killed off find a way to get collers on them. I know I'd be quicker to pick them out of a flock and when they finally do migrate someone will be happy to shoot them. Hunters will be begging to hunt the 7th fairway and will take the time to find out where those city birds are going when they actually do leave. Eh, just an idea, probably not feasable, but it would be fun to shoot collars all the time. :rolleyes:
"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:38 am

First off, you spell “rumor” not “roomer” what a bonehead, maybe I need to proof my post.

Now has anyone heard how the Canada’s numbers are doing up there? I was first told that they would only keep the migrating goose bag limit down until they were up to something like 30,000 breeding pairs up in Ontario.

I saw a show last year filmed up in Canada where the Canadian Government was trying to introduce kids to the sport of hunting. In the show they set up something like our youth day. In the show they said they were hunting Geese because their numbers were getting out of hand again.

If this is true, maybe we should start to get our voice heard and ask the DEC if they could let us shoot more of the migrant Geese. As well as allow us a larger bag limit on the residents. Geese that is, not resident New Yorkers.
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Jpensyl » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:54 am

We could always be forced to take a goose ID permit test like in oregon so we can ID the the declining species in the field and not shoot them. Boy that would be fun.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hu ... photos.asp
Online Goose Permit Testing - Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife

I'd just hate to see the ontario populations begin to decline again, I'm glad I missed the mid 90's and have no desire to have to repeat them.
"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

Early goose

Postby Dep666 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:00 pm

I am not a big goose hunter. Just haven't really found a way to make them taste good. My early goose hunting is really limited to the days its too rough on the lake for Salmon fishing. Unfortunatley the resident season falls right in the prime Salmon run.

Basically my prior post was directed at the regular duck season. It seems like the bluebills and other divers aren't showing up here untill after the western season is over. The darn weather is totally to blame. My personal opinion is move all the dates later by about 3 weeks. It just doesn't seem right to be hunting in a t shirt.
Dep666
hunter

Postby Jpensyl » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:36 pm

I'm right with you on wanting the Divers to be here during the season, but I have to remember the past couple seasons werent typical. We should be rock solid by the end of dec when the second split starts and all it really takes is one day of good cold and snow to fill up the river. At the end of the first split this year we had a good storm. There were divers everywhere on the niagara and no one even hunting it. In two hours we killed 4 limits of bills and filled the rest of our limits with mallards, buffies, GE's, two cans and even a couple gaddies. All it takes is one good storm and some cold to push those birds off the lake and into the river. By the time the second split started the warm weather allowed the birds to go back north and spread back out to open water. We could make the season later but a warm spell in jan could just as well cause the same thing to happen again. There were more squaws and scoters on ontario during the first split than the second. This pic is from dec 5th or 6th and we did this two days in a row on the niagara. I'd love to be able to get at the cans and bb's I see on the river after everything else is rock solid but I remember that the guys shooting park ducks were killing limits while I sat on the river killing ge's because the other divers were no where to be found.

I drove in that storm to get to the blind drawing friday night because I knew what the result would be for sat and sunday. We got blind 30 both days because no one bothered to come out for the drawing. Between you and me there ended up being alot more than 4 guns that hunted from 30 that day and alot more than 4 limits of ducks hit the water.
"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

Postby Andrew ONeill » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:47 pm

Personally I would much rather see a Feburary season rather than the August Season. There is still plenty of geese around if Feburary and it's just to hard to get psyched for goose hunting when its 90+ degrees out.
Andrew ONeill
hunter

Postby cobber » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:19 am

I would also rather see an additional late resident season instead of August. It is just too hot and too many people out with other interests during the summer.
cobber
hunter

Postby carlschmarl2 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:22 pm

late resident season would be much more beneficial in my opinion...
"Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium"
carlschmarl2
hunter

Postby OGKILLA911 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:14 pm

i am excited about possibly getting more time to hunt some fowl, but really, i cannot imagine hunting geese in a t shirt and shorts while getting a sunburn and between flocks casting a buzzbait for bass. and on top of that, watching the babes waterskiing and tubing, hoping for a bathing suit malfunction. WOW, what an odd combination! hhmmmm........that could be interesting............ :thumbsup:
OGKILLA911
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:29 pm

OK OGKILLA911, you and I will have to pick up the slack if they ever do open an August season. :thumbsup: I hunt pigeons during the summer and shooting decoying birds is just as much fun when it's 80 as when it's 20. Some years the small grain fields are cut earlier than average. During these years, I've seen 100 - 150 geese in a field in mid-August. Come Sept. 1 many of these fields are picked over, grown up to weeds or alfalfa, or covered in manure and the birds will be scattered across the slim picking fields until the corn gets chopped. It's a bummer when this happens after scouting and getting permission. If the weather were different and they harvested these fields a week or two later you could have a hot spot come Sept. 1, but you never know. In contrast to the lakes, these fields don't see many people, even in August. That's just my 2 cents.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby japeiler15 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:31 pm

I do not know if that would be how it is. I am planning on being back for the September season. I will take full advantage of it too, right Harvey??? Anyway, I can picture this. Hiding in a layout blind, getting out because it is too hot between flocks, then more hiding in the layout blind. I would love to be out gazing from trim, but not when I am hunting. When I have birds on the mind, the other birds are the FURTHEST thing from my mind. Then again, nothing is better than getting done with a hunt and :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:. You get the picture. No offense ladies.
08-09 totals
50-Canada geese
32-Mallard
10-Bufflehead (1 BANDED DRAKE)
7-Long-Tailed Duck
4-Black Duck
4-Common Goldeneye
3-Red Breasted Merganser
2-Lesser Scaup
1-Hooded Merganser
1-Pintail
1-White Winged Scoter
1-Wood Duck
japeiler15
hunter

Postby OGKILLA911 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:44 pm

well boys, my september hunting experiences, i have found that corn fields have not been chopped, and the birds are in pastures where there are horses or cows, and we all know that horse lovers usually dont care for hunters and farmers dont want anyone hunting around there cattle. the sweet corn fields are cut and loaded with birds, but the farmers almost always have summer squash or some other veggies growing right next to the sweet corn field that their workers are going to be caring for, and they dont want to endanger their workers. i have only had three good goose hunts in the field in september and that was in a pasture with llamas. the husband gave me permission, and i limited out 3 days in a row, then the wife returned and freaked when she found out hunting was happening around her prized llamas. needless to say, mama laid down the law and i lost permission. thats when i started hunting the local river and have had decent luck. trust me, if i could find a good field, i would be there. thats just not the case for me. whistlerwhittler, i'll show u some river hunts if u can show me a good field hunt :yes:
OGKILLA911
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:45 pm

Sure! Harvey and I hope to be getting into the geese in the fields this Sept. Just keep in touch and we'll have to plan something.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby 870 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:14 pm

Please keep in mind that this is coming from a reformed early goose season hater. I had the worse taste for those guys that actually hunted early goose. I thought what a bunch of morons, that’s not hunting its still summer! Also keep in mind that I have a camp on an island and the bay where my camp is, we have anywhere’s from 30 to 40 geese hatch out there every spring.

Now about a week before the season, we have some yahoo’s come into the bay and build some mega structure for a blind, that’s nowhere near where the geese are feeding. So when opening day rolls around the geese come into the bay and fly waaaaaay out of range of the yahoos, and they sky-bust them and sometimes cripple a goose. One year on Labor Day weekend this happened and the yahoos chased the goose around in the bay blazing away, while we had fisherman and jet skiers just down range. I had the phone close so as to speed dial 911. I had front row seats to this fiasco, I had the phone in one hand and my binoculars in the other, not really, but they were close.

There was a lady who called up a friend of mine who was our game warden saying, “they are shooting my geese”. Come to find out all summer long this woman went to the end of her dock and rang a bell and the geese came up and she fed them. Now her neighbor got the idea on opening day to go sit at the end of his dock with his buddy and ring a bell. Sure enough the geese came up and they ground bounded them in a big way. Thus prompting the woman’s phone call. Personally I now like early Goose, but why do they have to open it on one of the biggest weekends of the summer. I can see why some people hate hunters. Why couldn’t they open it the weekend after Labor Day weekend and keep it open right though both first and second duck seasons.
State Moderator

Postby CLUTCHfan » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:52 am

OGKILLA911 wrote:i am excited about possibly getting more time to hunt some fowl, but really, i cannot imagine hunting geese in a t shirt and shorts while getting a sunburn and between flocks casting a buzzbait for bass. and on top of that, watching the babes waterskiing and tubing, hoping for a bathing suit malfunction. WOW, what an odd combination! hhmmmm........that could be interesting............ :thumbsup:

I've had guys Bass fish right through my spread before. The great thing about more boat traffic is it'll push the birds around more. They move the season earlier I'll have to invest in some of that mosquito-proof clothing.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Next

Return to New York Duck Hunting