First season

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

First season

Postby seantriin » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:15 pm

Ok this has been my first season and I have only been out a few times. Twice I saw nothing an once I saw some canada but the were far off. I've learned a lot but still have so much to learn. My question(s) now is tomorrow is the last day of the first split. I was going to try three rivers once more. Worth it? And what is still out there? Even though I have enjoyed going out, it's a little disappointing not seeing anything. And what and where for the second split?
seantriin
hunter

Re: First season

Postby TominatorNY » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:53 pm

Sent you a private message
TominatorNY
hunter

Postby Ekern » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:00 am

Waterfowl hunting is about being in the right place at the right time which makes for a huge learning curve. Keep at it and you'll start figuring things out.
Ekern
hunter

Postby BigWater EH » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:03 am

[THUMBS UP SIGN] exactly! Scouting, scouting and more scouting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigWater EH
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:18 pm

Having all the right gear and being in the right place mounts to nothing if you don't know what to do when you get there. Lets go beyond scouting which is as forementioned important. One of the most important things to learn is wind and how birds are going to react to it. Spend time studying ducks and geese and how they react to different wind conditions. I've seen guys set up on the X only to screw it up because they didn't undestand what the birds will do when they get there. Failing to understand the wind is one of the bigest mistakes most hunters make. Next get into the heads of the ducks and geese your planing on hunting, why are they doing what their doing and why at this time of day, week and month. For example geese will hit the fields around seven during Sep, but they will hit the fields much later in Nov - Jan. Theres much more to a sucsesful hunt than having all the right gear. To be a good duck/goose hunter you first need to be a biologist and meterorologist well, sometimes it seems that way LOL Good luck brother :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby seantriin » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:06 pm

Thanks everyone. I should have worded it a little different though. Since it's cold and freezing will the hunting be mostly in the corn fields vs. the water. Another question is how do you approach a land owner and ask permission. I find that a little awkward but have found a few fields that always have something. Any personal experiences with good and bad results?
seantriin
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting