Montezuma Nat'l Wildlife Refuge:

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

Montezuma Nat'l Wildlife Refuge:

Postby wuzzagrunt » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:11 pm

Anybody regularly hunt this property? What is access like? Do you have to check in with the federal parkies, or can you just pull your boat in and start making birds rain from the sky? What are the crowds like during the season? Are there duckboat traffic jams on weekends? Is it reasonably laid-back on weekday mornings?

I have spent a lot of days kicking up grouse and woodcock in the area around Ithaca, and would like to try the MNWR for waterfowl. It's a serious haul from Long Island, but I have friends in the area.
wuzzagrunt
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:34 am

Waterfowl hunting at Montezuma is highly productive, highly esteemed, and is highly monitored. Hunting parties are limited so the hunting is great if you can get a reservation.

Hunting is permitted on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, by reservation first, and then fill-ins on the day of the hunt if it is not booked up, which I don't think happens very often. Check-in at the ranger station is required the morning of the hunt (I think an hour before shooting time but you have to look at the regs to be sure), and you are required to have a NYS waterfowl ID card in addition to your NYS small game tag and Federal duck stamp. Take a look at the *.pdf file on the website. It will tell you everything you need to know.

http://www.fws.gov/r5mnwr/

If you are in the area it is worth taking a drive through the refuge. There are a lot of birds there now and it is pretty fun. :thumbsup:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:12 pm

I tried calling in better than a half dozen times this year, and I couldn't get in. You've got to be lucky. Harvey1b is right about all the details. A couple more things are that, over water the group size is two, and there are no motors allowed on the boats you use. Paddle power only. It is a great place to drive through in the off season.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby wuzzagrunt » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:31 pm

Thanks guys, this is a good place to start. I'm going to try to get up there a couple of times this spring/summer to get the lay of the land and talk to the rangers. Not a problem because I love the region.

CLUTCHfan wrote:A couple more things are that, over water the group size is two, and there are no motors allowed on the boats you use. Paddle power only.

I have a 17' kayak with an open cockpit that can seat 2. My buddy is on the large side, so the dog will have to sit in his lap, I guess. That or get a more normal size hunting buddy.
wuzzagrunt
hunter

Postby joel2362 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:31 pm

im heading up that way in august to put up tree stands was gonna drive thru to check it out ill let ya know the skinny
joel2362
hunter

Postby joel2362 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:52 pm

well i checked it out the viitors center didnt have a clue but wow looks like an awesome spot they had drawn all the water down to kill off the purple loosestrife.however the few holes that held water held ducks and geese.Ill definately hit it :hammer: when i m up there deer hunting
joel2362
hunter

Postby 10gaman » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:23 pm

i must of been lucky everytime i called i got in and we killed some birds
BROWNING THE BEST THERE IS
10gaman
hunter

Postby carlschmarl2 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:53 pm

anyone know how the hunting has been? is it worth calling to get a spot?
"Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium"
carlschmarl2
hunter

Postby magicBB » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:03 am

Birds are there it just depends on how hard of a hunt you want. Lot of people pulling canoes through mud, not enough water to paddle. Not alot of room so their have some instances of cats seeting up near one another. But like I said its still very birdy there.
magicBB
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting