Last Night's North Wind

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Last Night's North Wind

Postby Frank Lopez » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:14 am

Went out this morning and had a grand old time. Lots of new birds came in on the north wind last night. Mostly mallards, with a few wigeon. Had flocks of 3 and 4 dozen birds coming into the spread! Haven't seen that up here in years. Was done with mallards by 7:40 and got a wigeon at 8:00. I actually could have dropped a second wigeon, but I figured it was early, so I'd wait for another flight. The rest of the morning (until 9:30) all that came in were mallards.

Every once in a while, even a blind hog finds an acorn.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Re: Last Night's North Wind

Postby BigWater EH » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:28 pm

That's great to hear Frank, I haven't seen a mallard yet this season. Hopefully we will be seeing them in increasing numbers out here on the east end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigWater EH
hunter

Postby sssurfertim » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:44 pm

I guess our birds switched shores, it down right sucks on the southshore. Birds are using tiny way back creeks, I saw a few this afternoon but they did not want the creek I was in. Watched over 20 birds use a creek 80 yards away all afternoon. Now that is frustrating! :no:
No island leaft for Islanders like me.
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:53 pm

Tim, if we work together, maybe we can keep the birds moving back and forth! :lol3:

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:13 pm

They must be down your way, Tim. Every last one of them (and there were literally hundreds) were gone this morning!

Frank
Frank Lopez
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting