Duck Hunting Forum banner

Turkeys

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  watchman34 
#1 ·
Good luck tomorrow for those who get out! Look forward to your stories.

#3 ·
I shot a MONSTER this morning here in Missouri. He weighed just a hair over 24lbs. He hada a 10 inch beard and 1 7/16 inch spurs!!! I will post pics up tonight after my roomie gets back to take pics. Jim 1, Coach 1. But mine is bigger!!!

#6 ·
Yeah, nice bird Jim! I put the kids on the bus this morning and got set up in the woods by 9:30. I got a jake, so things worked out despite the late start. Just as cool was when I parked the truck at my hunting spot. You'd think I would be in a hurry to get into the woods, but I just had to glass the beaver pond first to see what was out there. I counted eight species: mallard, wigeon, wood duck, hooded merg, ring-neck, broadbill, bufflehead, and geese. Saw one goose nesting on a muskrat house and three woodies were hanging out next to one of the boxes we put up this winter :thumbsup:

#7 ·
Great looken bird Jim!!!! :goodjob:

I'm with Matt on this one wheres the grin man? :huh:

If I had shot as nice a bird as that one, the pic would of been from the waist up because of the mess I would of had in my pants :rofl:

Great to see your face anyways Bro :thumbsup:

Jim what do you think, by those those hooks is that bird a three year old?

#9 ·
I talked to several people and he is at least 4 years old. He is just shy of 1.5 inches on both legs. I weighed him with a crappy scale and he was a hair over 24. I would be willing to bet on a good scale he was 25+. I am pretty sure he is the bird I have been after for 2 years now. Missouri birds get big. I know a guy who shot one that weighed as much as mine, FIELD DRESSED!!! He was for sure a 4 year old. His spurs were 1.25 inches. Anyway, I have 2 more days to hunt. Wish me luck. Congrats to all you NY boys who filled tags today.

#10 ·
Anyone else filled tags yet? My dad got his first today. Probably a three year old in Morrisville. My uncle shot a 2 year old in Barneveld on opening day. I know that this weekend will probably yield some new pics but man, IT IS TURKEY SEASON IN NY!!!! Next year, I will take you guys out to some PRIME land in Madison county. Tons of turkeys. Good luck to you all up there. I have the next 2 days to fill a tag and thus beat Steve. Oh by the way, if I took a youngster out during the youth hunt and he kills one, do I get a half point. If I do, that makes the score Peil 1.5, Coach 1. Bling, Bling!!!

#11 ·
No luck today all I had come in was a hen, she stayed and fed in my decoys for some time :no:

Fishing season starts tomorrow, so the gun goes up and the rods come down :yes:

Good luck to all you boys :thumbsup:

#12 ·
You can't revert back to a hunt that started after our game starts. Thus, you get no 1/2 points. That's a good try though. If that were the case then during deer season I would have 5 1/2 points. Four for each one that I shot and three 1/2 points during youth hunts. You only get points for what you pull the trigger on.

No bird today. I heard maybe two or three birds this morning but they were far off and I didn't want to stalk them because my luck I would would have probably popped up a bird that was making his way in.

I finished the season at 1 bird.-- Coach 1 - Peil 1. Peil, it's the bottom of the 9th and you have two days left to take the lead. Good luck to ya.

I agree with 870, it's fishing season. I am going out on Sunday to fish an old coal strip pit.

#13 ·
Peil, looks like we finished the season at one a piece. It was a fun and challenging season in Missouri this year. You can go to the Missouri forum and see the picture that I put up in the "Turkey Season" thread.

Time for the baby to come, and fishing season.

#14 ·
Time for me to leave and go to Michigan, then back to the motherland in August. By the way, for all of you New Yorkers who are looking to goose hunt this fall. I will be living in the 5 bird per day zone. After I do some scouting and get some real estate, it will be time for us to get together to put on the whackage.

#15 ·
Still no turkeys? Are the walleyes biting that good???

#16 ·
The walleyes were hot in Fish Creek in the early season. Haven't been back since the first few days, but it was the best year we've had on the river in a long time. Too bad the limit is still at 3, cause they were in heavy this year. Do any of you guys fish Oneida Lake? Just wondering what's been going on out there with the walleyes. I like to stick to the rivers. I went out on Lake Ontario with a old work buddy last week. We caught a small brown, a small steelhead, and a decent rainbow. That trip reminded me why I don't do it that often. We only had a one foot chop and to me it seemed like 5. It's just not my kind of fishing. I like to at least be able to cast and retrieve, even if I'm not catching anything. To sit and watch downriggers is painful.
I shot a jake opening day, but haven't been back out since. We haven't seen the turkeys around as much this year as in years past.

Congrats on a beautiful bird Japeiler15. That's a smasher!

Disco

#17 ·
I give up!!!!!!!! I must own the only lesbian turkey call out there. I mean I have hens coming into my decoys from other zip codes, talk about discouraging. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. :huh:

I did get a turkey though. I hit it with my work truck, naturally it was a hen, what should I expect. She came out of nowhere and hit corner post on my windshield. It didn't do any damage to my truck, but broke both of her legs. She flopping in this ladies yard feathers everywhere. I'm running over to her, I grab her by the neck and ring it in front of God and everybody. (That was smooth).

I bring her back to the house and my wife looks at her and says, " What do you plan on doing with it?" I say "breast her out" and the wife reply's " the best you can do during turkey season is road kill, huh" :no: and walks away :mad:

#18 ·

It also weighed 16 lbs.i have been skunked the last 4 years.iVe gotten really close sometimes.this time i did nothing by the book.i also shot it on state land which to me makes it even better.back to the book.i didnt scout the night before.i used a topo map to find a couple of ridges.walked up a steep hill.I got a hen all pissed off.she shut up then the gobbling came.i had 3 sets of gobblers sounding off.and the poor young jake was the first thing in my red dot.Im not picky gobbler or jake they taste the same to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.