Brant #s down??

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

Brant #s down??

Postby wackemstackem » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:37 am

With 4 hunts for me so far I have not once had brant cupped and committed. I have been targeting puddlers but in the past the brant just about always find my spread. I have not seen the giant flocks Ive seen in the past and no doubt think this years hatch must have sucked.
Thoughts?
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Re: Brant #s down??

Postby Papabear » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:14 pm

I have seen Brant but they don't open till Decmber 28
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed-For Those Who Don't None Will Do
WE HUNT BY SIGHT-NOT BY SOUND
Papabear
hunter

Postby FFT » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:16 pm

Real small #'s down here in the atlantic brant capital of the world.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 2
FFT
hunter

Postby finfeathr » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:29 pm

Brant is closed until Dec.28, but that doesn't seem to stop the guys skybusting them anyway. :mad:
finfeathr
hunter

Postby Papabear » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:24 pm

yeh Rich some guys don't bother to get all there information and think every thing opens and close on the same day
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed-For Those Who Don't None Will Do
WE HUNT BY SIGHT-NOT BY SOUND
Papabear
hunter

Postby sssurfertim » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:06 pm

1 main flock on the north side in my area, that's it. Non in the marsh at all. Hammer them and hammer them years after year, not going to help them grow in numbers.
No island leaft for Islanders like me.
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:31 am

I have only seen small groups and not many of them either.
The clouds that we saw last year spoiled us.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby BayMan718 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:10 pm

i hunted wantagh yesterday afternoon with my buddy mike...and we were covered in brant had at least 8 different size flocks in the diver spread ...no one shooting and lack of pressure seems to have them scattered...been seeing a lot of them in the state channel between the big m and 3rd wantagh while pulling my crab traps as well...2-3 days of them getting shot at you will seem them group up quick...
“Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading "

Thomas Jefferson
BayMan718
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:39 pm

We've been seeing small groups here and there for months. Usually, this time of the year they're down in pretty good numbers. This year they're pretty much non existent.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby wackemstackem » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:54 pm

Middle bay and scow are usually covered in them and merrick has had huge flocks too. I just don't see the numbers Ive seen last yr and it seems to be a pretty drastic change for only one year. I hope this decline don't continue and a few years from now im saying remember those huge flocks of brant that would block the sun,

bayman you see any ol squaw down by the big m yet..
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Postby BayMan718 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:06 pm

wackemstackem wrote:Middle bay and scow are usually covered in them and merrick has had huge flocks too. I just don't see the numbers Ive seen last yr and it seems to be a pretty drastic change for only one year. I hope this decline don't continue and a few years from now im saying remember those huge flocks of brant that would block the sun,

bayman you see any ol squaw down by the big m yet..

broswer bay/east rockaway has some pretty impressive flocks right now but no ones been shooting at them over that way...i honestly think the birds are just not pushed together...we did see one huge flock flying just east of the fishing piers sunday afternoon probly 300-400 birds strong and did have small to medium flocks in and out of the diver rig on sunday afternoon...

as for the squaw there are some around the inlet area but small 5-6 bird groups here and there but some dudes in 16ft a carolina skiff with high sides on it keep run and gunning the crap out of them on the weekend....i get the drifting thing...but running full power with your gunner in the bow :huh: guess with brant closed its the only option...

also were some eider in the inlet prior to the storm...but they seemed to have headed elsewhere since...

i
“Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading "

Thomas Jefferson
BayMan718
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting