New to the Room

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

New to the Room

Postby DiscoDuck » Thu May 24, 2007 8:52 am

Hello fellow New Yorkers. I'm new to the room, and just wanted to introduce myself. I live in Camden. Been hunting ducks since I was about 15 around locally and Upper and Lower Lakes WMA. I'm obsessed, but my wife accepts it. She actually loves duck hunting compared to deer. When I used to deer hunt more, I would leave Friday night and come home Sunday night. Usually home by noon on ducks, so everybody's happy! I've got 4 daughters (9, 7, 6, 4) and they all hunt and fish with me. What more could a guy ask for. Anyway, just wanted to say hi.

Chad
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Fri May 25, 2007 7:04 pm

:welcome: to DHC. Im sure the New Yorkers will chime in soon.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Bruce G » Sat May 26, 2007 5:50 am

:thumbsup: Welcome Discoduck,I`m also new to DHC I live just south of Utica and enjoy duck & goose hunting also.I have been trying to get on this message board for some time now and finally did it.I hear that up your way there is some good duck hunting around Happy valley have not been that way yet.Hope to see more New Yorkers on the site and find out what is going on around NY.Well again Welcome,Bruce
Bruce G
hunter

Postby DiscoDuck » Sat May 26, 2007 1:55 pm

Thanks Bruce. There is some good hunting around here. Haven't hunted Happy Valley in a long time. I spend most of my time right around Camden, Verona Beach, Oneida Lake area. I'm still trying to figure out the in's and out's of the chat room too.

Welcome though!
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat May 26, 2007 7:24 pm

Well hey guys, my name is Don. You’re going to like here. We have a great bunch of guys hanging around the NY forum; we have one of the best Southern duck hunters popping in every once in awhile the legion dairy smackaduck. :wink:

I live up on the ST Lawrence River and I hunt the river and the eastern end of Lake Ontario. Sorry to be getting back to you so late, but I was at the camp today working. We’re glad you boys have come on board with us. If I can help yeah out in anyway just let me know. :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Sun May 27, 2007 8:38 am

Hi and welcome to the site! As has been said, there's a good bunch of guys here. It's good to hear that you're getting your kids into hunting and fishing. I've got three boys (9,7,and 2) and I take the two older ones out. - John
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby DiscoDuck » Sun May 27, 2007 2:45 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys! John, three boys? I guess I never figured out the boy thing, but... My girls love to go, and I love to take them when I can. I've got a 106 acre marsh (with about 15-20 acres of dry upland in between) so it makes it easy to take them on an evening shoot from dry land. That way I don't have to worry about the water, etc. They can just kinda tuck in, watch for birds, and mess around with the dog.
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby DiscoDuck » Sun May 27, 2007 2:54 pm

Don,
I love the area up there. We used to hunt Black River Bay a couple times a year when the divers were in. Haven't hunted it in a few years now. I love layout hunting, just don't really do it anymore. My buddy that I hunt with a lot had a 19 ft. jon boat, and ended up selling it a few years ago. So, we really don't hunt the bigger water much anymore. Still hunt Oneida Lake, but I have a few spots where we can still hunt the shoreline. -Chad
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Sun May 27, 2007 4:09 pm

That's great that you've got a good spot to take the kids to. I try to keep things simple, but sometimes it's challenging to figure out ways to take the boys. But it's very rewarding when they have a good time. I've been taking them ice fishing since they were three, small lakes with ideal weather. For some time I've been telling my wife how I should get one of those portable ice fishing shanties. Well, last week for my birthday she got me a Frabill 2-3 man shelter. I've fished in them a couple of times before, but I've never owned one. I can't wait to try it out!!
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby Bruce G » Sun May 27, 2007 5:44 pm

Thanks everybody for the welcome I think your right on about being a good site so far everybody has been great.I have 2 sons 36 and 35 and one daughter 30 I guess I`m and old fart I got a early start in life.Both sons love to hunt when they can my one son lives in NC and my other son lives in Utica NY.Growning up I spent alot of summers in Ogdensburg and dad used to fish the river alot then. I have wondered how the waterfowl hunting was up there seeing how I have never been up there then.Well I`ll check in from time to time and thanks again for the great welcome.Bruce
Bruce G
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun May 27, 2007 7:46 pm

yeah Bruce it sucks up here :yes:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Bruce G » Mon May 28, 2007 4:53 am

870nice bunch of birds,last yearI never shot a duck it realy sucks around here.
Bruce G
hunter

bruceg

Postby watchman34 » Mon May 28, 2007 4:59 pm

bruce g where abouts south of utica?waterville or close to that area?I drive up and down 12 everyday.I can lead you in some directions.the rirvers are a hot spot for ducks and geese.
well nice to have you aboard.
locked cocked and ready to rock! TEAM BROOME COUNTY
Now and then a bird flies into my steel shot.
watchman34
hunter

Postby DiscoDuck » Mon May 28, 2007 7:29 pm

870, that looks like a tough day!

Bruce, there has got to be some duckin down there below Utica. Hit the topos and make friends any of the local farmers!
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby DiscoDuck » Mon May 28, 2007 7:33 pm

Whistler, the ice shanty sounds sweet. I'm not real big on the ice, but I do it once in a while with the absolute perfect conditions. I fell through when I was a kid. Only waste deep, but enough to scare the crap out of me.
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby DiscoDuck » Mon May 28, 2007 7:35 pm

Alright, not to sound completely ignorant, but how do you post up pictures on here?
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue May 29, 2007 6:30 am

The easiest way is to go to photobucket.com. Start an album and load your pictures onto photo bucket. Once they are loaded there will be three lines under your picture. Copy the third line and paste it here in your message. If you have any troubles with this there are some very thorough topics in the help forum. :wink:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Bruce G » Tue May 29, 2007 8:03 pm

watchman34,I`m around waterville but it is hard to get permission into private land around here.Most of the land is posted and if anything they are deer hunters so they don`t want waterfowl hunters there.One of the biggest farms right around the corner said they only let there hired hands waterfowl hunt there and that is 3 hands for 6 thousand acres.He also said he didn`t care for guns but that was his place so who am I to say otherwise.The ducks are here before the first part of the season(8days)and are gone after that and then we get iced up anyway for the 2ad part so duck hunting around here is real bad as a rule.I guess I will have to see what the season dates are going to be for this year and go from there.It does not matter really how many I get if any it`s great just to get out and get away for a while.
Bruce
Bruce G
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting