hunting onondaga lake

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

hunting onondaga lake

Postby OGKILLA911 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:58 pm

i was just wondering if any of u guys have hunted onondaga lake. i always see quite a few birds on the lake, both on the 690 side and the parkway side. theres always dead geese on the parkway. im not looking to steal some ones spot, just wondering if anybody has generally hunted it. i have given it some thought, but was deterred because the lake has a reputation of being dirty, and have heard that both ducks and geese sit on the open topped pools of raw sewage at the sewage treatment plant on hiawatha boulevard. i eat what i harvest, and im not sure if i could stomach the thought of eating birds that have roosted in syracuses finest fecal matter. i have never ran across anyone whos hunted it, but i would like to hear about it if someone has.

thanks,

Rob
"Robins don't screw blackbirds......"
OGKILLA911
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:12 pm

Welcome to the site OGkilla. Im not from New York nor have I hunted the place you are referring to but I would like to comment on the sewage thing. The deal is you dont know where the birds came from before they got to you. For example a few years ago we passed a sewage pond that was L O A D E D with birds and I made the comment to my partner I would love to go after them. He said I was crazy and he would never eat those birds in the crap pond. This place was less than a mile from where one of my blinds was ( where he had taken and eaten countless birds from) So one morning we set up on a road between the pond and the blind and watched the birds get up off the pond and go straight for the blind. For all I know the birds I just killed came from a nuclear pond somewhere...................................................................... :crazy:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby DiscoDuck » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:31 pm

I've hunted it lots of times and had some great hunts. We all know that Onondaga has a reputation for being one of the most polluted waters on the planet, but damn it's a fun hunt. I haven't hunted it the last two years, mostly because my buddy sold his Jon boat that we used to use. It is true that the ducks will land on the clarifier tanks and float around on raw sewage. That was one of the problems we had, and probably the last straw. We've shot ducks that a solid, force fetched dog would not retrieve, and that scares me a little. You never know where the birds come from wherever you hunt, but I think I'd rather not know.
That being said, the parkway is a great spot as is the pipe. You can tuck into the rocks along the shoreline at the parkway.
The good news is that the lake is getting cleaner every year I guess.
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:30 pm

When it comes to Ducks and Geese I believe “ignorance is bliss” I don’t even want to think of where our Ducks and Geese were just before I dropped the hammer on them.

I stopped plucking my birds along time ago after I found out that the toxins are in the fat of the bird and I’m getting old and lazy. DON’T EVEN SAY IT SMACK.

BTW :welcome: to DHC and the NY forum, you see we have alot of cool cat's hanging out around here
:lol:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby OGKILLA911 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:01 pm

well 870, i haVe to agree with u on "ignorance is bliss". i'll have to see how my preseason scouting goes for early season goose. if i cant find a good feild to hunt i may be forced to trailer the boat 3 quarters of a mile and kill some of those rump roosting birds. idk though. if disco ducks dog wouldn't retreive them, i doubt they are good enough for the table. maybe i'll mark them separate and cook them for my hunting buddies. :lol: :lol: :rofl: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
OGKILLA911
hunter

Postby OGKILLA911 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:05 pm

Btw, i just did some research and onondaga was the 2nd. most polluted lake in the world 10 years ago. now its the eigth. idk guys, im not sure i can do it. :huh:
OGKILLA911
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:30 pm

Well you didnt say that before. Hunting over a a little sewer is one thing but hunting in one of the most polluted lakes in the world......... :huh: Not me, just dont seem right. Propably full of dork fish. :crazy2:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby harvey1b » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:07 am

:rofl:

dork fish!! Ha!

No wonder they are so easy to shoot on Onondaga - DORK DUCKS!!! ha :rofl: :crazy:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby 870 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:54 pm

I hear GHG is coming out with a whole line of “Dork Duck Decoys” their calling them the “ Onondaga series” What’s so cool about these decoys is, after the sun goes down they are easy to pick up because they glow after dark. Also each decoy comes with two heads, not separate heads, but joined together at the base of the neck. GHG is still having paint problems though, I guess some things never change :huh:

Also with every dozen decoys you buy you get a free TOXIC WASTE sticker with them. Its florescent green, in the shape of a duck and it also glows in the dark :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:59 pm

:rofl:

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby DiscoDuck » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:47 pm

2nd? My mistake. You might not believe it, but there are some wicked fish in there too. My buddy used to work the shocking boat on the lake doing samples, etc for the county. He has sent me pics of some of the bass, walleye, and browns that they've taken out of there and they're impressive. Now if you think that the one per month out of Ontario is bad, I'd hate to hear what it is out of Onondaga.
The real Onondaga Dork Duck hunt is when the mergansers are migrating through. If a guy wanted to burn his steel shot on them, you could melt the barrel off your gun.
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby OGKILLA911 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:09 pm

yeah, i've acually heard that onondaga is a hidden gem for gamefish, but u should practise catch and release. i think its worth a try. i'll just have to see how desparate i am come fall. i doubt those local birds see much hunting pressure.
OGKILLA911
hunter

Postby DiscoDuck » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:28 pm

Alright, i can't seem to make a scanned image import from photobucket. I think it's because it scanned through in acrobat. Anyway, I'll forward a couple pics to you guys that have chimed in on here. One, has Carousel Mall in the background. The other is on the shoreline, just in front of the parkway. Enjoy.
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby DiscoDuck » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:34 pm

OK, sorry, I take it back. I forgot that doing a PM requires the same format. If you guys want to send me your regular e-mail, I will send them.
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:04 pm

Everybody just remember that there are rules as to where you can and can't hunt on there. Syracuse's city limits cut across the lake on the southern side and are off limits, as are county parks because of the firearms rules. Of course you can skirt some rules by hunting out of a boat, but the city limits thing is not one of them.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Return to New York Duck Hunting