Best high density shot?

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Best high density shot?

Postby hudson river drake » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:42 pm

Ive tried federal ultra shock, remington Hevi-shot ( i think was replaced by the Remington wingmaster hd ) The federal is Saturn shaped and the remington Hevi-Shot was very irregular, This might have changed with the Wingmaster HD. I was wondering what people think is the best high density shot is the Winchester, Remington, Federal, or the Environmetal
hudson river drake
hunter

Postby DiscoDuck » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:16 pm

I've got to be honest, I have yet to try any of the "heavy shots". I use almost exclusively Kent Fasteel, and I love it. Call me cheap, but I have yet to feel let down by the Fasteel. I'm not old enough to be able to say, "I remember the old days with lead", but I'm quite happy with Kent's performance.
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:22 am

I have to admit that I don't shoot well enough and I shoot too much to be able to afford that expensive stuff. :oops:

Last year I shot a lot of the Winchester Xperts and really liked them. I plan to order a couple cases of it this year to split with a few buddies.

I shot Fast Steel for awhile, but the ends of the shells aren't sealed. I never had problems with them and certainly killed a lot of birds with them, but it makes me nervous that they might get wet and if the steel shot rusted together that would cause some problems.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:16 am

I can't afford $1.50 or more per shell either. I've had good luck with the Fast Steel and the Winchester Drylocks. The Drylocks are nice and waterproof (I've tested that several times). I have had problems with Remington shells misfiring after getting wet.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby DiscoDuck » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:56 pm

I have never had a Kent misfire or had a rusting problem (Maybe I just haven't noticed though!) and I probably don't stay dry any more than the rest of you guys. If you're not wet from the outside, you're probably sweating through from the inside! The Fasteel happens to pattern real well in my A-5, and the price is right.
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:09 pm

I've used Hevi-shot when Remington was selling it. It is expensive, but it seems like with the heavy stuff, you either miss clean, or kill the bird. My cripple rate goes to almost zero when I use it. Most of it is $2 a shell or higher now, which is a little outrageous. Most of the time I use Kent fasteel which cost about as much for two 25rd. boxes as one 10 rd. box of hevi-shot. I have been debating on a case of the Kent tungsten-matrix though. I guess it depends on how much shooting you do.

I did decide that if I'm using expensive shot, I won't shoot the guys I'm with cripples on the water. It sucks wasting 6 bucks on a duck that isn't even yours.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Return to New York Duck Hunting