Hey Long Island guys

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Hey Long Island guys

Postby fadetoblack188 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:35 pm

The sea ducks you guys hunt... If you don't like the way they taste.. What do u do with them, or where/who do u give them to.
fadetoblack188
hunter

Re: Hey Long Island guys

Postby finfeathr » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:08 pm

I donate them to other taxidermists that don't have access to those species..
finfeathr
hunter

Postby Big5 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:33 pm

We used to shoot 50 a day with 5 or 6 guys, tried cooking them a million ways. Half the time after hours/days of marinades the house would smell great when they were cooking, then one bite and you want to throw up. So I give them to all the 3rd world immigrants who work at the gas stations, they see them in the back of the truck and ask for them. I am happy as a clam, only one problem after you give them the birds the first time, they never want them again. Some guys would tell me they shot all kinds of birds/ducks where they came from but none ever tasted so bad. I think a large majority wind up in a dumpster or as fox bait.
Sea ducks are for me, lets hunt in 10 footers and sink the boat. THAT is excitement!!!!
Big5
hunter

Postby fadetoblack188 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:35 pm

Yea that's the thing I loveeeee duck hunting but I don't just want to put them in the garbage .

I guess atleast if you feed them to another wild animal it's the circle of life and not going to waste
fadetoblack188
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:30 pm

If I were you, I'd breast them and freeze them in bulk....then find someone who fishes off shore and give them to them for chum to grind overboard.....
I think it would work great and the guys would really appreciate it....
for free of course
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby fadetoblack188 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:50 pm

^ that's not a bad idea
fadetoblack188
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:26 am

Remove all the fat and make them into bologna or hot sausage and eat it cold. Ive done this and given it to people and they rave about it. Scotors and eiders have a lot of meat on them, it seems like a waste not to eat them.
boney fingers
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:27 am

boney fingers wrote:Remove all the fat and make them into bologna or hot sausage and eat it cold. Ive done this and given it to people and they rave about it. Scotors and eiders have a lot of meat on them, it seems like a waste not to eat them.

Oh My God.......
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:10 am

Slack Tide wrote:
boney fingers wrote:Remove all the fat and make them into bologna or hot sausage and eat it cold. Ive done this and given it to people and they rave about it. Scotors and eiders have a lot of meat on them, it seems like a waste not to eat them.

Oh My God.......

Ive feed it to literally hundreds of people and not one has complained, maybe us hillbillys just don't have as refined taste as you bluebloods. Send me 20lbs of clean, defatted, frozen meat and enough postage to ship it back and give it to your friends but don't tell them what it is.
boney fingers
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:45 am

Boney fingers is right. If you prepare them right, they will taste good. I used to make summer sausage with all my divers, sea ducks, and brant. Then just this year I took a mix of scoter, broadbill, and oldsquaw breasts and tried something I've heard from 870: remove all fat and soak in saltwater for a few days, changing the saltwater out daily. After soaking I took the meat and ground it and made taco meat with McCormick's seasoning. There was no off taste to the meat at all, I wouldn't hesitate to use it in place of beef.

I don't want to kill ducks if I'm not going to put them to some use. That's why we rarely shoot mergs anymore. Occasionally one may get shot, but it goes right into the freezer for dog training in the summer.

If I did chuck my birds into a dumpster or out back for the coyotes, I would not be announcing it on here for the public to see.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:23 am

Whistlerwhittler wrote:If I did chuck my birds into a dumpster or out back for the coyotes, I would not be announcing it on here for the public to see.

Did someone do that? :huh:

I have found that the only thing I've ever done that worked for me is the BBQ...I breast and clean them, hit them a few times with a mallet to break them a bit....then I give them a bunch of stabs with a fork to allow the marinade in there...
from there I will marinade in heavy acid and anything I've got that's almost gone...mustard, jam, ketchup, hot sauces etc....
BBQ to Medium and mashed potatoes...
I am however fortunate to work right next to a laundromat that has a wild staff who are very grateful.....so they will take anything. I usually just breast out, salt and pepper and freeze....

However I have not had much of a disposal problem this season due to a one-year old and a three-year old who have all but prevented me from getting out... :crying:
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:35 am

No Slack, no one actually said they did that. Just hoping it wouldn't head that way.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:48 am

Whistlerwhittler wrote:No Slack, no one actually said they did that. Just hoping it wouldn't head that way.

Gotcha....
I was surprised how good that Geese out east were when I cooked them last. I guess it's really a "you are what you eat" issue. If you are eating fresh corn with seeds and then retire to a fresh water pond, then back to the rye....
It's a lot different than bank mussels in Nassau
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:02 am

Yeah it does make a big difference.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby coldducks » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:22 pm

I remember a DU episode years ago where they made blackened eider/scoter. Get a white hot cast iron pan, melt a ton of butter, season sea duck chunks with the right "blackening" seasonings, and toss them in the pan for a minute or two. I would still brine them for days first and probably beat them with a mallet for a while to further tenderize.

Do this outside.
coldducks
hunter

Postby coldducks » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:27 pm

I copied this from another site:

Take several duck breasts and soak them over night in water that has had garlic seasoning added to it. Dry the breasts and cut them into 3/4" cubes. In a bowl, place a stick of butter and melt it in the microwave. You need enough butter to coat the entire cubed duck. Now you need your OLDEST and HEAVIEST cast iron frying pan and a lid that will fit inside the pan. Heat the cast iron pan 'till it gets good and HOT. Take the lid, bottom side up, and put in some melted butter and duck breast. In order to sear the meat properly, you want to cook about a hand full of duck cubes at a time, as this will allow the pan to remain hot. Generously sprinkle Cajun Seasoning over the duck and melted butter. The spicier the better. The seasoning I use and recommend is Chef Paul Prudhommes Magic Seasoning, Blackened Redfish Seasoning. You can also try Tone's Cajun Seasoning, it's very good also. With the pan HOT, flip the lid containing the above mixture over and onto the pan. Let the duck cubes cook for about 30 or 40 seconds, then remove the lid and stir the duck. Put the lid back on and cook the duck up to four minutes, all the while stirring and checking, as you do not want to burn the duck. I like my duck a little rare and juicy and recommend it be served that way over a steaming bed of wild rice.

"Cook this outside, as it smokes a lot, and I mean ALOT!"
coldducks
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:25 pm

Male hogs, like many ducks, have a strong flavor when cooked. Most boar meat is put into things that are eaten cold and no one knows the difference. Using the meat in products that are not heated will cover most off taste. I cooked some scoter/ old squaw last week in the crock pot; the smell while cooking was the worse part and while it wasn't filet mignon, it wasn't bad and would probably sell for a lot of money in a high end restaurant. Mergies are a different story, I shoot them because I feel sorry for all the little fish they kill; it helps me to sleep at night.
boney fingers
hunter

Postby fadetoblack188 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:49 pm

Whistlerwhittler wrote:Boney fingers is right. If you prepare them right, they will taste good. I used to make summer sausage with all my divers, sea ducks, and brant. Then just this year I took a mix of scoter, broadbill, and oldsquaw breasts and tried something I've heard from 870: remove all fat and soak in saltwater for a few days, changing the saltwater out daily. After soaking I took the meat and ground it and made taco meat with McCormick's seasoning. There was no off taste to the meat at all, I wouldn't hesitate to use it in place of beef.

I don't want to kill ducks if I'm not going to put them to some use. That's why we rarely shoot mergs anymore. Occasionally one may get shot, but it goes right into the freezer for dog training in the summer.

If I did chuck my birds into a dumpster or out back for the coyotes, I would not be announcing it on here for the public to see.

This sounds like a great idea grounding it for taco meat with McCormick seasoning.

If people are not going to donate the meat or put it to good use they should not be hunting it.
fadetoblack188
hunter

Postby capt.dennis » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:08 pm

divers and sea ducks wind up as jerky. that's the tastiest way to have them. they make great snacks while out hunting or fishing.
breast them out and cut into thin slices and marinate in your favorite flavor then place in dryer.
good hunting1
capt.dennis
HUNT HARD FISH HARD!
WWW.HUNTFISHNY.COM
capt.dennis
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting