upstate diver hunt

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

upstate diver hunt

Postby FOWL PLAY NY » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:19 pm

hey guys I just posted a video and just wanted to see what you guys think check it out please and leave some feedback

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65z2TuZhtt0
give a man a duck and you will feed him for a day, teach him to duck hunt and he will go broke.
FOWL PLAY NY
hunter

Re: upstate diver hunt

Postby Frank Lopez » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:06 pm

Maybe it the camera angle or lens distortion, but some of those shots looked a little too close to people.
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby southpaw92 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:24 pm

fowl good shootin! are you the southpaw in the bunch??? great chit man
Canada Geese 17
Mallards 8
GW Teal 12
Gadwalls 2
Pheasants 7
southpaw92
hunter

Postby Bob Caygeon » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:31 pm

This is not duck hunting. That's my feed back.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Bob Caygeon
hunter

Postby FOWL PLAY NY » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:33 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:Maybe it the camera angle or lens distortion, but some of those shots looked a little too close to people.

It's all filmed with a go pro (fish eye or wide angle) some shots may seem as if they were too close but safety is our number one priority no duck is worth getting shot we always pass on the shots that are marginal.
give a man a duck and you will feed him for a day, teach him to duck hunt and he will go broke.
FOWL PLAY NY
hunter

Postby FOWL PLAY NY » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:34 pm

Bob Caygeon wrote:This is not duck hunting. That's my feed back.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

How is this not not dunk hunting? please explain
FOWL PLAY NY
hunter

Postby finfeathr » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:59 am

OK, I wasn't going to post cuz you seem like a young guy, and I didn't want to be that guy..but.....

I have been on alot of Oldsquaw shoots, and the action can be fast and furious. I don't know squat about cameras.

I do know that safety cannot be your top priority when you guys are shooting past the dog's head, and worse, shooting at birds in the rig when one of you is out in the rig in a boat. :fingerhead:

When everybody is shooting at the same bird, how do you know who shot what? Maybe take turns shooting so it doesn't sound like a war zone every time a bird scoots by?

Again, not trying to be a jerk, but you did post it up..I wasn't there, just have a video to base my comments on, and some of it looks downright frightening.

Lose the "If it flies it dies" decal on your barrel. It makes the whole thing look like a bunch of macho bloodthirsty cowboys out for a wild afternoon. Slogans like that are bad enough without them being printed right on the gun for everyone to see.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings, or peed in your Cheerios. You have alot of hunting ahead of you. Be SAFE, and maybe don't post every hunt on the internet if everything isn't exactly the way it should be, safety wise.
finfeathr
hunter

Postby coldducks » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:27 am

Expect some competition at your spot next year, too.
coldducks
hunter

Postby goodst56 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:39 pm

It'd be nice to see more drakes picked out...Looks like a lottt of hens from the picks...not saying it isn't legal but seems like you had enough action to shoot more drakes...cool vid though
goodst56
hunter

Postby Dep666 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:33 am

There is one spot in the video where you shot directly over the head of another guy.......Really??? That in no way shape or form is safe....I'm a professional firearms instructor and that is unacceptable...

I've edited the rest of my post because I'm 100% sure it will fall on deaf ears. There was a ton of citizen complaints down there this year....I looked it up....so don't be shocked when the towns of Irondequoit and Webster pass ordinances that you can't hunt from the piers....just like they did with the summer boaters parked in front of Marges....
Dep666
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:58 am

finfeathr wrote:Lose the "If it flies it dies" decal on your barrel. It makes the whole thing look like a bunch of macho bloodthirsty cowboys out for a wild afternoon. Slogans like that are bad enough without them being printed right on the gun for everyone to see.

This........
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:59 am

finfeathr wrote: Maybe take turns shooting so it doesn't sound like a war zone every time a bird scoots by?

And more so......THIS
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby FOWL PLAY NY » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:43 pm

police were called numerous times about the local houses being shot at by another group of guys, and they were then kicked out and told not to come back. we were watched by a DEC agent and checked 100% legal. the reason we all shoot at singles is because as the day progresses more and more people and families walk down the pier so we try the shoot our limit before they show up so we don't offend them. that is also why we shoot so many hens, drakes don't come in nearly as often its 90% hens 10% drakes. the shot where it looks as If I shot right over my buddies head isn't like my barrel is on top of his heads his back was against my legs and he was sitting below me. I am not commenting to start fights with anybody I just wanted people to check out my video, some of the shots may seem unsafe in the video, however, I was there I know what happened and have tons of footage of when we DIDNT shoot because it wasn't safe.

I took off the sticker on my gun too.
FOWL PLAY NY
hunter

Postby FOWL PLAY NY » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:45 pm

the DEC agent also told us we were one of the best groups that's hunts there because they have never had a problem with us.
FOWL PLAY NY
hunter

Postby Dep666 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:13 pm

Never said you guys were Illegal......I said it was unsafe......Anyway you slice it, your partner was in front of you and you fired your shotgun over him.....If that's what you consider safe, lots of luck to you. Oh by the way, did you know someone got shot in the face off the west side pier? I believe he was out retrieving a duck and another hunter peppered him...Kid is lucky he didn't get his eye put out ....accidents happen.... ...Just saying....your the one who posted the video and asked for "feedback."
Now here comes the DEC...says you guys were legal....fantastic....Do you think that "Mary Berkinstock" cares one bit that your legal? All she sees is a large group of Big Mean duck hunters who are "murdering" the ducks she fed bread to all summer. Mary happens to not be satisfied with what Joe DEC officer has to say , so she runs to the town supervisors office (Democrat I think)and makes a complaint.....this is the same "Ms. Berkinstock" who was involved with the whole fiasco involving the buffer zone in front of Marges. In other words, the squeaky wheel gets the oil......... In my opinion, that area is out on "front street"....way to public and to be honest , that looked really ugly. If you have to" hurry up to shoot your birds before people start walking around", then the spot is plain ole sketchy. Ive had several opportunities to hunt Irondequoit Bay outlet....No Gracias man.....I like to enjoy myself and not worry about who or what is walking up behind me on the pier. Ive been accosted by anti hunters before, and it is an ugly ugly scene. As a video as a whole...cool footage, slow motion was nice. I also have a go pro, however I won't post videos because , believe it or not, there are scumbag DB's out there who will try to bone you out of your spots......Another thing you will have to experience in order to appreciate where we are coming from....
Take all this as constructive criticism....Not trying to beat you up.....I can appreciate the excitement of squaws bombing in, and its cool posting videos.....I saw something unsafe and felt it was my duty to point it out. As long as you go out, do things legal, have a good time, and you and your hunting party make it home safe, that's all that matters. If an accident happens, it doesn't matter how many birds you shoot, or how sweet the hero shot looks......Good luck with your future hunting adventures.
Dep666
hunter

Postby denwing » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:02 pm

That one bird came in low and started to bank left right at the person out in the decoys when the shot was taken... How far would u have followed had it been a miss? Not in my blind.
denwing
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:35 pm

FOWL PLAY NY wrote:the DEC agent also told us we were one of the best groups that's hunts there because they have never had a problem with us.

Probably because you are a good kisser.... :thumbsup:
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:50 pm

Dep666 wrote:I saw something unsafe and felt it was my duty to point it out.

Dep, I fully agree, and I said basically the same things.

FOWL PLAY NY wrote:
Frank Lopez wrote:Maybe it the camera angle or lens distortion, but some of those shots looked a little too close to people.

It's all filmed with a go pro (fish eye or wide angle) some shots may seem as if they were too close but safety is our number one priority no duck is worth getting shot we always pass on the shots that are marginal.

Fowl Play,

Not buying it. I've shot enough photos and videos over the last half century to know when lens distortion and camera angles are a factor. I was trying to be tactful in my original statement. A couple of others have noticed the same things I did and pointed them out. I can tell you two things for certain. If you ever shot that close to me, it would be the last shots you ever took in my presence. And two, I'd be purchasing a new shotgun because the stock of my Beretta would be so far up your butt they'd have to call in a brain surgeon to remove it.

By the way, group limits are illegal.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby FOWL PLAY NY » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:19 pm

the guy that did get shot is in our group. he had been shot three times in a day at the pier other people don't know when to stop swinging and they bring out their kids and let them shoot wherever they please I had pellets bounce off my back a few times also
FOWL PLAY NY
hunter

Postby Dep666 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:45 pm

Ok so.....you guys both got shot.......What does that tell you? SKETCHY spot..... And who gets shot and doesn't report it? I can tell you what, If some idiot shot me with steel shot, they would be Jail (possibly a hospital visit before incarceration) There is no excuses for that........

Its the same idea as riding motorcycles .....You could be the safest guy out there....its going to be the moron who runs the stop sign that kills you.
Hunting with a small core group of guys ...every one knows everyone, fire zones are established, no shooting when guys or dogs are in the decoys....basic stuff.....how can you do that when every jerk and his brother is set up around you withing 75 yards ? I fish that area every spring summer and fall...... Going down there with an Army of guys is nothing but trouble....Ive already spoken to Aaron about that.
Like I previously said.....I like the enthusiasm.....
Dep666
hunter

Postby reeltime » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:52 pm

I agree with most here, no matter how you cut it there were some very serious safety issues in this video!

there is an old saying "actions speak louder than words" after viewing this video you will be hard pressed to convince most
that you guys are safe gun handlers.

I understand you are young and seeing how this is only your first couple years of waterfowl hunting I can see why you are
enthusiastic but that is certainly no excuse for unsafe behavior, actually there is absolutely no excuse for it and it should
never be tolerated.

as far as what birds were shot, its a personal choice from person to person on whether to shoot hens or not. from personal
experience with fellow waterfowlers those of us that have some years under our lanyard we tend to refrain from killing hens,
does it happen yes but we try not to make a habit of it. another old saying is "dead hens don't lay eggs"

Just a suggestion, take down the video, its not doing any of us any favors. its certainly not going to be looked upon
favorably by folks that hunt there. posting exact locations on internet forums is what we call spot burning.
reeltime
hunter

Postby NY-PP » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:48 am

This may be taking this thread in a little bit of a different direction, but what is it with these type spots that bring out some of these types of hunters?

There is another place I am sure most are familiar with to the east of this one that seems to have the same type of people. You will have 50 people standing where there is room for 5. 1 of them will have decoys. None of them will have any means, beyond waders (and then only a fraction of them!), to retrieve their birds.

To be clear, this isn't directed at the original poster, but rather is a general observation from the video, and the subsequent comments (especially being shot 3-4 times in one day!!!).

It is like salmon fishing with guns. No thanks. You guys can have it.
NY-PP
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:08 am

I think this guy has gotten the message and will at the very least NOT be posting any more of these type vids....
So I am not commenting on the above post to jump on this guy...but to answer your point...
It seems to me that this behavior always coincides with accessibility issues and a lot of guys shooting together.
We have similar places here on Long Island and you have guys shooting in shifts....and they figure that they are there....so why not here the guns go off..
Another part of it that sucks, is that you have dozens of people going home saying "those duck hunters".....so it's a label that sits with all of us...
It's the Bud-Lite mafia....
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby GunnerNYS » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:35 am

"Don't shoot the decoys" but shoot with a friend is in the decoys? :huh:
Just goes to show you...Common sense isn't so common anymore .
Last edited by GunnerNYS on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
GunnerNYS
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:15 pm

life is dynamic, and we learn through all of it. some have mentors and teachers, others find out by doing...right or wrong...sometimes it takes years to get straightened out..

I used to kill as many birds as i could...blam blam blam... I was younger and never had a mentor...plus i hooked up with a few guys who wanted to make piles of dead things..

is it right? is it wrong? or is it different? depends on who you ask and how THEY grew up learning the sport

I will say this, and I REALLY HOPE IT SINKS IN Fowlplay..... shooting dirtectly in line with another person in your party over their head is an ABSOLUTE .NO NO........doesnt even matter if they duck down and say "sluice it"

DONT DO IT..... you mount the gun in line over top of that person and get ready to shoot a duck and you trip....you start to fall, the muzzle falls with you.....and in a fraction of a second...your barrle is pointly directly at your best buddy.....

COME ON>>>>>>DONT DO IT.....walk up till you are past them and fire...or JUST DONT FIRE

the guy out in the decoys isnt near as dangerous, but it doesnt look smart....

but it pales in comparison to shooting over a guy near you!!

stay safe, your parents may want grandchildren someday

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Next

Return to New York Duck Hunting