Duck stamps

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Duck stamps

Postby Bruce G » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:07 am

We went to 3 different post offices before finding one that had duck stamps.What is up with that they asked me (the post office) if they were out yet.I`ll bet nobody down south has this problem this state is going down hill every year.
Bruce G
hunter

Postby obageegee » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:38 am

Has nothing to do with NYS, the Feds issue those stamps
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

-- Thomas Jefferson
obageegee
hunter

Postby Bruce G » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:22 pm

I`m sorry,the federal post office in NYS should know when they come out.Year after year they sell duck stamps and all I`m saying is they should know when they come out and should not be asking us when they come out.
Bruce G
hunter

Postby joel2362 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:45 pm

forgot to get mine duhoh got to run around now double duhoh :no:
joel2362
hunter

Postby ninethreeeleven » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:12 pm

Better get yours tomorrow if you want to hunt this weekend. Better anyway, since Monday is a holiday!
ninethreeeleven
hunter

duck stamps

Postby gecherm » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:31 am

Hey Guys,

I have been trying to get a duck stamp now for the three weeks. The opening day for southern NY is this Saturday. I generally hunt on Long Island but at times do go upstate to hunt. I guess that I won't be doing that any time soon. I have gone to the web sites offering stamps but they cannot promise delivery time. I just don't feel confident with that. What is going on with the feds. Are they kidding! I spoke to the post master at one office and he said that they get them when they get them. I wonder if there is anyone else to call to express disgust. I am going to try the fish and wildlife office or DEC and let them know that this is happening. If they know about it than we should get a pass for tickets regarding not having one. Wish me luck with that!!
gecherm
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:45 am

:huh:

I don't see what the big deal is. I got mine and my fiance's at Bass Pro, and they had tons of them.
harvey1b
hunter

Duck stamps

Postby gecherm » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:06 am

Harvey1b,

The big deal is that there is no Bass Pro store on Long Island. I also don't think that I or anyone else wants to drive 2 1/2 hours upstate in hopes of getting one prior to this weekend's southern NY opener. This is a federal thing and I for one am tired of the post office acting like they have nothing to do with it. I wish that the store that I bought my license sold them but they don't. The only two sporting goods stores here are ****'s And Sportmans Authority and they both don't have any and don't intend on doing so in the future. I guess that I should sell my home and move to the mountains so that I can enjoy what you have. Not!! Thanks for the post though and your helpful advise.
gecherm
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:09 am

Go to small town post offices. I've only had it happen once where the post office I stopped into didn't have them. I drove to the next town, and picked one up there. If you stop into one, and they are out, ask where the next nearest one is and go there. I also heard that wal-mart and Gander Mountain carry them sometimes.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Re: Duck stamps

Postby CLUTCHfan » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:27 am

After re-reading this, it didn't sit quite right in my craw.

gecherm wrote: I guess that I should sell my home and move to the mountains so that I can enjoy what you have. Not!! Thanks for the post though and your helpful advise.

I doubt you're going to get much more helpful advice on this forum with an attitude like that. You waited too long to get your Stamp, and now your whining about it, and the one guy who let you know that Bass Pro had them in stock, you jump down his throat.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby harvey1b » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:50 am

gecherm wrote:Harvey1b,

The big deal is that there is no Bass Pro store on Long Island. I also don't think that I or anyone else wants to drive 2 1/2 hours upstate in hopes of getting one prior to this weekend's southern NY opener. This is a federal thing and I for one am tired of the post office acting like they have nothing to do with it. I wish that the store that I bought my license sold them but they don't. The only two sporting goods stores here are ****'s And Sportmans Authority and they both don't have any and don't intend on doing so in the future. I guess that I should sell my home and move to the mountains so that I can enjoy what you have. Not!! Thanks for the post though and your helpful advise.

Woh buddy, simmer down . . . didn't mean to twist your nips like that. Don't sell your home, we'll work through this.

I had no idea where you live. I've gotten my duck stamps in the past from Bass Pro, Gander Mtn, the Post Office, I think Herb Phillipson's, all with no problems.

I've been in your shoes before so I usually buy that stuff way ahead of time. Sorry to hear your troubles finding a stamp down there on the Island. What did you do last year? I can't really point you in the right direction b/c I don't know the island, but send me $16 and I'll mail you one.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:55 am

harvey1b wrote:
but send me $16 and I'll mail you one.

I was originally thinking the same thing, but if people aren't going to be polite, I'm not going to go out of my way to help them out. Sometimes people get what they deserve.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby wackemstackem » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:06 am

I dont know where on the island you are......but....The longisland outdoorsman in rockville centre has em.Give em a call before you go.He also sells tix to the du party this tues. :hammer:
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Postby harvey1b » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:09 am

thanks Craig, or is it Harold?
harvey1b
hunter

Postby wackemstackem » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:21 am

:mad: You think thats funny......
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Postby harvey1b » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:33 am

:yes:

sure do! your username is awesome

. . . those guys are ridiculous, but I tune in, in spite of myself, and they have a good following, so they're doing something right even if they are idiots.
Last edited by harvey1b on Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
harvey1b
hunter

duck stamp

Postby gecherm » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:33 am

Clutchfan,

First let me say that I did not mean to upset anyone with my post. I was merely stating the facts. I did not ask for any advice regarding what I posted. Harvey1b, I believe, was responding to all the posts. I was trying to explain to Harvey1b why it was so much a big deal to me. I notice that you separated two sentences that I wrote and had to re read my post to say that something did not seam right. I believe that you may have gotten the wrong idea. I was just venting my frustration. I forgive you for writing what you wrote about me whining because you were under the wrong impression. This happens in a written forum sometimes and or e-mails because you cannot here the inflection of the writer’s voice. I did try and get a stamp for three weeks and all I could find was 2006-2007 stamps. My friend was up in Liberty, NY last week and he too could not find one. I believe that I have made a noble effort and changes at the post office need to be addressed. I know that I am barking up the wrong tree but it needs to be said. I’ll try to be more careful next time posting. Thanks for pointing that out.
gecherm
hunter

duck Stamp

Postby gecherm » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:38 am

Harvey1B,

I just saw your post and want to say that I did not mean to offend you with my post. I was telling it like it is and venting at the same time. I can see how you may have taken it the wrong way and I should have re-read it myself before I posted it. I am going tonight to two more places and if no luck I will try the place that someone posted here after yours.
gecherm
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:00 pm

:thumbsup:

no problem man. good luck with your stamp quest. If you get in a bind in the future give me some more lead time and I'll send you one.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby 870 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:28 pm

Here’s a number to call if you haven’t already found a stamp (1-315-686-3311) it's my local post office, they said they'd be glad to send you one. They told me to tell you to try going to your post office in mid Aug they are never out then.

I’ve been in your shoes and it sucks, I feel for yeah.
Good luck in your quest and good luck this season. :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

duck stamps

Postby gecherm » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:12 pm

I was thinking about buying one online but when I called they could not promise when delivery would be made. I decided not to do that because I was thinking that would be a big mistake. That system is new and I don’t feel confident that they can measure up. As far as finding the upcoming duck stamp in July, I have never seen anything but last years stamp available. The stamp is good thru 9/30. The earliest I have seen them available has been 9/8. I managed to get one that year but every year I seem to go thru the same crap. On Long Island the season does not open til end of November and the September season is a joke but all you need is last year’s stamp for September hunting. We have too much boat traffic in September to make a hunt worth while. On the other hand, I like to go upstate for a few trips to local lakes around Monticello and such. I just got off the phone with the dept of fish and Wildlife and the officer was agreeing with me that he has been hearing a lot of hunters complaining about the lack of stamps in the post office. It would not be a problem most likely for this area as I am sure that stamps will be available by next month. I wish that the local hunting/fishing stores that sell licenses would carry it so the post office could be taken out of the loop. I even heard from a former post office employee that each office has to order the stamps and if they don’t they will not have any. That is why some offices never have them. The post master in these offices are less than helpful. I find them saying stupid things like “ I don’t know why we don’t have any” or “Duck stamps, what are they”. I wonder what he is a master of? It can’t be the post office.
gecherm
hunter

Postby hudson river drake » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:18 pm

You can get a stamp online and over the phone they give you a code that means you have one that is good for 45 days then they will send you an actual stamp in the mail the website is www.duckstamp.com the telephone number is 1-800-852-4897. Hope that will help
hudson river drake
hunter

duck stamp

Postby gecherm » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:39 am

Hudson River Drake,

I already considered that but when I asked about the delivery time being 45 days they told me that is approximate. I don't like that word. It sounds alot like maybe you will have it or maybe you won't. I don't feel that they would issue another 45 day number to you so that you would be legal for hunting if that happens. It will be ole well, we messed up. You pay the fine. I can't even see why it takes 45 days to get one to you. If they have them, it should be to you no later than 1 week. I currently do not know anyone who went that route and frankly, I don't trust it. I thank you for your thoughts!
gecherm
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:53 am

gecherm, Call my post office and give them what they need and they will send one out to you today. I gave you their phone number in my last post. If you had called yeasterday, they could of sent it over night. :huh:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby wackemstackem » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:19 am

;nancyboy: For the second time now....L I outdoorsman 516-678-5554.They have stamps.Call before you go.
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Return to New York Duck Hunting