snow goosin around Rochester, Syracuse, canadagua

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

snow goosin around Rochester, Syracuse, canadagua

Postby clymerfowler » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:47 pm

any one snow goose hunt around this area. always wanted to hunt them. i have a friend going to school at finger lakes community college and have hunted up there a few times for ducks and gees and love the area. saw my first group of snows up there and have wanted to kill one ever since. we see one ever few years down here during migration with canadas. being i live 3 1/2 hours away its a rare occasion i go up to hunt with him and he barely hunts with out me as i have all the gear.
Pigeons-231
Geese- 206
Ducks-37
clymerfowler
hunter
 
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:47 am
Location: Clymer, NY


Re: snow goosin around Rochester, Syracuse, canadagua

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:35 am

Haven't chased them in several years. Actually just gave away a bunch of sillhouettes I had.

But if I had to guess, I'd say you should plan on coming up to hunt around the middle of March.
User avatar
Whistlerwhittler
hunter
 
Posts: 2058
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:46 am
Location: Central New York

Re: snow goosin around Rochester, Syracuse, canadagua

Postby clymerfowler » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:11 am

nether of us have snow decoys but we are going to tray all our canadas which is around 6-7 dozen including sillos. and making some snow socks out of bags or cloth.
Pigeons-231
Geese- 206
Ducks-37
clymerfowler
hunter
 
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:47 am
Location: Clymer, NY

Re: snow goosin around Rochester, Syracuse, canadagua

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:17 pm

I think everyone gets the itch this time of year...including me.
I have done lots of research with lots of good guys...but it always seems to come down to the same thing...
meeting some guy in a ditch to help lay out 3000 rags and then sit in a muddy tyvek suit to take 80 yard shots and passing birds....then put it all away filthy and hand him $200
I have yet to find a guy that has a nice pit or floater....with a good set up that I can walk into with my coffee and gun and have birds decoy...at least around here that is....if you know the guy....let me know
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5699
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: snow goosin around Rochester, Syracuse, canadagua

Postby toolmaker » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:04 pm

Slack Tide wrote:I think everyone gets the itch this time of year...including me.
I have done lots of research with lots of good guys...but it always seems to come down to the same thing...
meeting some guy in a ditch to help lay out 3000 rags and then sit in a muddy tyvek suit to take 80 yard shots and passing birds....then put it all away filthy and hand him $200
I have yet to find a guy that has a nice pit or floater....with a good set up that I can walk into with my coffee and gun and have birds decoy...at least around here that is....if you know the guy....let me know



870's the guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we can all shack up with him...hes like some prostaffer for some snow goose decoy company...I think... and all we have to do is split a 1/4 face cord of wood.....


hes gots the spots and the know how.....

lets go!

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
User avatar
toolmaker
hunter
 
Posts: 2956
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:19 am
Location: only been to Cromwell once

Re: snow goosin around Rochester, Syracuse, canadagua

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:09 pm

toolmaker wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:I think everyone gets the itch this time of year...including me.
I have done lots of research with lots of good guys...but it always seems to come down to the same thing...
meeting some guy in a ditch to help lay out 3000 rags and then sit in a muddy tyvek suit to take 80 yard shots and passing birds....then put it all away filthy and hand him $200
I have yet to find a guy that has a nice pit or floater....with a good set up that I can walk into with my coffee and gun and have birds decoy...at least around here that is....if you know the guy....let me know



870's the guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we can all shack up with him...hes like some prostaffer for some snow goose decoy company...I think... and all we have to do is split a 1/4 face cord of wood.....


hes gots the spots and the know how.....

lets go!

the tool


Splittin' wood? I'm in! Haven't split wood since we got rid of the wood stove. It's one of the things I miss about the pellet stove.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
User avatar
Frank Lopez
hunter
 
Posts: 3011
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:34 pm
Location: Long Island New York

Re: snow goosin around Rochester, Syracuse, canadagua

Postby 870 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:09 pm

Hey Slack if your afraid of muddy fields stay home city boy LOL
Image
Personally I love muddy fields
Image
and snowy fields
Image
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
User avatar
870
Pro Hunter
 
Posts: 4202
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:54 pm
Location: northern NY

Re: snow goosin around Rochester, Syracuse, canadagua

Postby KRB » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:23 pm

870 wrote:Hey Slack if your afraid of muddy fields stay home city boy LOL
Image
Personally I love muddy fields
Image

The smile says it all. Great job 870. Slack is a neat freak but I like mud lol
KRB
hunter
 
Posts: 2304
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:12 pm
Location: South Shore LI

Re: snow goosin around Rochester, Syracuse, canadagua

Postby toolmaker » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:40 pm

this year...or last year 870????

thew tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
User avatar
toolmaker
hunter
 
Posts: 2956
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:19 am
Location: only been to Cromwell once

Re: snow goosin around Rochester, Syracuse, canadagua

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:50 pm

I don't mind it at all if it's my set up.....I was just saying that I'm not going to drive 15 hours to meet some stranger and help set up a 1000 rags
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5699
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: snow goosin around Rochester, Syracuse, canadagua

Postby 870 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:06 pm

Thats last year tool, we're butt deep in snow, it's gunna be a while

I hear ya Slack. I hate it when that happens.
I'm just wondering if all this snow and ice is pushing our birds even further south :huh:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
User avatar
870
Pro Hunter
 
Posts: 4202
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:54 pm
Location: northern NY

Re: snow goosin around Rochester, Syracuse, canadagua

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:29 pm

Nahhh...we never get them here.....one in a million.....
more snow on the way here tonight....2 hour delay on school tomorrow!
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5699
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: snow goosin around Rochester, Syracuse, canadagua

Postby southpaw92 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:31 pm

hey slack and tool i think im closer to you guys then 870 is... swing by my place first... ill grab the 3 cases of shells i got from cabellas lol for us and we ALL will go to 870s field :)
Canada Geese 17
Mallards 8
GW Teal 12
Gadwalls 2
Pheasants 7
User avatar
southpaw92
hunter
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:46 pm
Location: Onondaga hill

Re: snow goosin around Rochester, Syracuse, canadagua

Postby 870 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:02 pm

Hey southpaw I'm glad you'll be bringing 3 cases of shells. I heard through the grapevine tool can't shoot, but talks a good game,, I don't know for sure, but the talk on the street says so :huh:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
User avatar
870
Pro Hunter
 
Posts: 4202
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:54 pm
Location: northern NY

Re: snow goosin around Rochester, Syracuse, canadagua

Postby toolmaker » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:13 pm

870 wrote:Hey southpaw I'm glad you'll be bringing 3 cases of shells. I heard through the grapevine tool can't shoot, but talks a good game,, I don't know for sure, but the talk on the street says so :huh:



you have grapevines that far north????

i am sure you can shoot better than me , all the way up till its time shoot shoot the gun!!

because I am such a good sport, when we come up, Ill carry both your snow goose decoys !!!

if we SEE a live snow goose buddy, Ill take you to one of my honey holes like this:

Image

taken today!

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
User avatar
toolmaker
hunter
 
Posts: 2956
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:19 am
Location: only been to Cromwell once

Re: snow goosin around Rochester, Syracuse, canadagua

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:33 pm

toolmaker wrote:taken today!
the tool

Nice lookin decoys!
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5699
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: snow goosin around Rochester, Syracuse, canadagua

Postby 870 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:38 pm

eah real nice how much did they cast ya lol
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
User avatar
870
Pro Hunter
 
Posts: 4202
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:54 pm
Location: northern NY

Re: snow goosin around Rochester, Syracuse, canadagua

Postby toolmaker » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:37 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
toolmaker wrote:taken today!
the tool

Nice lookin decoys!



if you scout good, you dont need no stinkin decoys!!!!!!!!!!

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
User avatar
toolmaker
hunter
 
Posts: 2956
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:19 am
Location: only been to Cromwell once


Return to New York Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: altrocker1, Thekintnerboy and 5 guests