Sea Duck hunting Question

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Sea Duck hunting Question

Postby jstewart_1981 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:50 am

I am trying to book a Sea Duck hunt in the North East for the up coming season. My problem is I think Im going to be coming alone, or myself and 1 other hunter. I am interested in hunting 2-3 days, preferably 3. From what I am seeing on the rate schedules the boats are being rented for x amount / day and understandably so. If I came alone or with 1 other person that wouldn't be logical for us. My question is will some guides join 2 small groups to hunt together or would it be a waste of their time? I am primarily interested in Old Squaw, but some scooters, Brant and possibly Eiders would be great too.. Buffleheads wouldn't hurt our feelings either. If you know of any that would work with someone in that way please let me know.

Thanks!

Jimmy
jstewart_1981
hunter

Re: Sea Duck hunting Question

Postby sssurfertim » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:56 pm

Not even sure if we will have a season for brant next year, there were very few Juvenile birds around this year. But if we do and you can make it up to LI I could get you Brant and buffies, they are a guarantee. Had a guy from Tennessee come up two years ago from this site for brant and we had a great time. If not I can recommend some guides for sea ducks, and not recommend some others.
No island leaft for Islanders like me.
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby sssurfertim » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:01 pm

First Branthunt for the TN boy
Attachments
image.jpg
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby sssurfertim » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:04 pm

Drake Buffies you say?
Attachments
image.jpg
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby jstewart_1981 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:30 am

Man those are some nice birds. Those Buffies are perty! I have 99% committed to hunting with Ruben Perez but if I come back up I will give you a shout. Thanks for the invite!

Jimmy
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby Diver-Down » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:59 am

Lots of outfitters do 2-3 hunters for a PP rate and will take out singles for a premium.

All the birds you mentioned except eiders are common to NJ so that is another option for you to look into.

I suggest you check these guy's out: http://www.rconj.com/
USCG Capt. Steve Lessel
Diver-Down
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:37 pm

X2 on Reedy...never hunted with them....but had a few dealings and they are very nice.
What you really want to avoid, is some degenerate that happens to hunt a lot.....that is just going to take your money and bring you out and flip a coin.
Ruben has a great rep, as does the Swamper, Reedy and a few other guys....I'm sure they will all accommodate you, or tell you to hold back until they book a 3some....then have you come to be #4
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting